Contact us

Bosnia & Herzegovina BOSNIA & HERZEGOVINA 2024 - not taking part

ESC United Mod Team

Super Moderator

flag-800.png

Mainshow

Veteran
Shocking to read how much in debt they really are.
I don't think that we will be seeing :ba: return anytime soon.

ag89

BHRT reached a new bottom these days where its workers are not even getting salaries. However, it might turn positive at the end because such a situation has opened discussions among decision makers. Today political parties in coalition (state level) decided to help BHRT with some short term support to solve some of its debt - soon there will be talks on how to solve BHRT debts long term and how to secure proper financing of the national tv station: it is mostly caused by the fact two other public broadcasters (RTRS and FTV - they cover two Bosnian entities/federal units) are not providing state level broadcaster with the money they deserve (in short).

On the other hand, BHRT is also shitty as it employs 800 people - they are not able to fight against big private tv stations in the country.

I think we might get a solution - in a few years. Or sooner, you never know, because Bosnia is unpredictable and the way our politicians handle issues and the way they make deals is crazy. Today they made a deal about BHRT ( and some other issues) in a restaurant. :cautious::LOL: Let' see, but we might get BHRT back on track.

BHRT reached a new bottom these days where its workers are not even getting salaries. However, it might turn positive at the end because such a situation has opened discussions among decision makers. Today political parties in coalition (state level) decided to help BHRT with some short term support to solve some of its debt - soon there will be talks on how to solve BHRT debts long term and how to secure proper financing of the national tv station: it is mostly caused by the fact two other public broadcasters (RTRS and FTV - they cover two Bosnian entities/federal units) are not providing state level broadcaster with the money they deserve (in short).

On the other hand, BHRT is also shitty as it employs 800 people - they are not able to fight against big private tv stations in the country.

I think we might get a solution - in a few years. Or sooner, you never know, because Bosnia is unpredictable and the way our politicians handle issues and the way they make deals is crazy. Today they made a deal about BHRT ( and some other issues) in a restaurant. :cautious::LOL: Let' see, but we might get BHRT back on track.

Good for them that they had some ćevapi with kajmak and rakii or çay. 😁

ag89

Is it difficult to make a new broadcaster ?
Let's not. :LOL:
Everything is difficult in Bosnia(when it comes to making political decisions), they are not even able to make a deal about the existing national tv channels, I cannot imagine what might happen if they start from the scratch.

Just to highlight again: the reason why BHRT is down is not the money (that came later), but politics and political ideas that block everything that is unifying Bosnian society(ies), like BHRT.

Let's not. :LOL:
Everything is difficult in Bosnia(when it comes to making political decisions), they are not even able to make a deal about the existing national tv channels, I cannot imagine what might happen if they start from the scratch.

Just to highlight again: the reason why BHRT is down is not the money (that came later), but politics and political ideas that block everything that is unifying Bosnian society(ies), like BHRT.

Once upon a time I tried to explain, to a foreigner, in the simpliest terms possible, the structure of Bosnian government. He was a lawyer btw. I talked slowly, in plain words, giving very simplified explanations.

And just when I thought that I made it, in the end he was still winking fast with eyes wide open and a lower jaw on top of his chest. 🤣

That's when I realized the effort is not worth it at all and gave up on explaining. 🤣

In the shortest terms for our foreign friends:

1. BIH has 2 autonomous constitutional entities: majority Serb Republic of Srpska; and the Federation of Bosnia and Herzegovina which is majority Bosniak with Croat representatives in entity institutions.

2. There are also federal level central institutions that should represent both constitutional entities and all people of BIH.

3. Current public broadcaster that is the EBU member that pays contributions for the ESC is a federal level public broadcaster.

4. However, both constitutional entities have their own TV stations that are funded by 2 constitutional entities, mimicking the political power of those 2 entities.

5. The TV station founded by the Republic of Srpska is propelling the seccessionist speech of Serb leaders who want to secede from BIH.

Therefore they have zero political interest to give funding to a federal broadcaster which politically represents unified Bosnia and Herzegovina.

6. In the Federation of Bosnia and Herzegovina, due to a political conflict between Bosniak right-wing and left-wing parties with Croatian parties, over the way in which the Croats should be represented in the institutions of the Federation, and due to blockade of their representation in federal level central presidency, the Croats don't want to approve funding neither for the TV station founded by the Federation because they deem it exclusively Bosniak and serving Bosniak right-wingers, nor do they want to fund federal public broadcaster which they deem as a political representative of Bosniak left-wingers that are blocking them from having representatives in federal level institutions.

The Croats therefore spend money on their semi-private semi-public TV station funded by several majority Croat counties of the Federation.

6. When Bosnia and Herzegovina participates in international sporting events, this is how it works:

A) Croats support Croatia, even if they play against Bosnia
B) Serbs support Serbia, even if they play against Bosnia (rather, more-so when the play against Bosnia)
C) Bosniaks support Bosnia

7. When Bosnia and Herzegovina doesn't play in such sporting events, it goes like this:

A) In the match Croatia - Turkey Croats would cheer for Croatia, Bosniaks would support Turkey, Serbs would support neither
B) In the match Greece - Turkey, Serbs would support Greece, Bosniaks and Croats would support Turkey
C) In the match Serbia - Albania, Bosniaks and Croats would support Albania (same applies to the match Serbia - Switzerland 🤣)
D) In the match Russia - Ukraine, Serbs would support Russia, Bosniaks and Croats would support Ukraine

There. Now that it's finally written like this, abandon all hope with opening Bosnia and Herzegovina 2025 thread. 😁

• Like It
Reactions: GRE

GRE

Dear Bosnian friends, I really hope something magical happens and one day Bosnia is back. After all, did anyone expect Luxembourg this year, or Slovakia and Monaco next year ? Eurovision is full of surprises.

Mainshow

Veteran
Noel Curran had expressed his concern, on behalf of the EBU, about serious threats to the future of BHRT (Radiotelevision of Bosnia & Herzegovina) – which is a member of the European Broadcasting Union. In the letter, Curran states:

“We understand the complexity of the situation in Bosnia and Herzegovina and the long-standing difficulties that BHRT faces in connection with the collection of funds that are owed and belong to it. However, it is imperative that we be able to urgently find a long-term solution to BHRT’s financing problems.”

He goes on to mention that BHRT plays an irreplaceable role in society in ‘promoting democratic discussion, supporting social cohesion and strengthening public morale’ under difficult times.

To fulfill this role, an adequate and stable budget is necessary. We ask you to help find a sustainable solution to BHRT’s financing problems and protect its future. The laws passed by the state of Bosnia and Herzegovina confirm that the state is responsible for ensuring sustainable financing and independent of the broadcaster.”

Curran went on to state that the European Broadcasting Union is ready to contribute to fixing the financing issues of BHRT ‘at a national level’ – to help find a solution to the complex funding situation. The letter goes on to say:

“In times when access to reliable news and information is crucial, we must do everything in our power to protect and preserve the work of public services like BHRT, and I have confidence in your support in this matter.”

ag89

It's a stunning song, among my favourite entries we sent.

Fun info, her father is the author of the Bosnian anthem we adopted in 1998 (of course, after we couldn't agree on accepting other options :) )

On a positive note, Bosnian national broadcaster, for the first time in years, received a proper financial support from the state to solve some of its problems.

There are now discussions on a long-term solution for public tv service: we might get Bosnia back to Eurovision within the next few years... Let's hope this government stays in power or at least some of people who are currently in charge because things stared to change for B&H, but in a good way after so many years.

ag89

Wasn't this song in Serbian and Marija half Serbian? How was that received?
Marija is a Serb from Bosnia, not from Serbia.

Bosnian, Serbian and Croatian are a single polycentric language so in that sense there are no differences among Bosniaks, Croats and Serbs in Bosnia (there are some regional differences, accents etc).

The 44th nation in 2025

Top Bottom