Contact us

Big... 6?

cassidian

Purely just putting it out there but we all no that Turkey are being .. stubborn on the idea of the Big 5, why not let them join a big 6. Or even compromise, they could take Italy's place in the big 5, Italy would cope fine in the semis (***IGNORE 2014 HAHA***) and I'm sure Italy have a price for their place in the final turkey could stretch to!

Mlyn

Banned
Let's keep the BIG 5 - France, Germany, Italy, Russia and Turkey.

Leydan

Worldvision Mod
Staff member
er no. There has to be a line with it. Where do you have the line, If Turkey join then you will probably have Russia going sick because they apparently dish a load of money in as well, so to please them they can join. Before you know it so many countries are in this "Big 5/6/7/8 etc" that poorer broadcaster would simply withdraw in protest.

greece

First of all NO. If they want to compete they will compete as usual in the semi. If we let any country to join in BIG 5 to make their favor then we will have BIG 20 in the best case and all this would have mean nothing xshrug Semis are used for a reason. They could bring back only final instead of this...

Gabe

Super Moderator
Staff member
The big 5/6/2x10^32 is really stupid anyway. Why give them an advantage over everyone else?

cassidian

Just a hypothetical considering Turkey's possible departure :)

Sammy

Veteran
does turkey pay as much to the ebu as the big 5? because that is the central issue to be a memebr of the big-group.

besides: rewarding a countries childish "i don't wanna play with you don't let me win"-attitude with a guaranteed final place is the wrong signal.
turkey had no reason whatsoever to quit because of votings! just look at their results! (even when the singing was a desaster as for instance hadise). so - if they return, i'd be more than happy, because I liked a lot of their entries. but begging them to return by promising them things other countries don't get - no way!

Mlyn

Banned
Why not have Big 6 or Big 8, but only half of them will be prequalified, either every other year or randomly?

6th country of course should be Turkey, 7th and 8th go to Russia and Ukraine, to balance the Western dominance.

On the other hand, if we keep Big 5, then why not reconsider who's in there? I guess, Spain, Italy, but also UK without Scotland are not that "big". Or if a Big 5 withdraws (thinking of Italy), then the next biggest country should be able to join.

I also think, Turkey staying out of Eurovision is not the worst thing at all. Although I loved their 2012 entry a lot, their political voting power was screwing ESC.

greece

^ If Big 5 was randomly chosen every year would have been great cause many countries could have success in ESC if they avoid semis (San Marino,Slovenia,Montenegro etc). But I think it will stay as Big 5.

Pawhlen

:tr: is just mad because they didn´t get that high placings they want every year. It was very ironic that they blamed it on neighbour voting, good morning axeblade xfacepalm

In 2007-2008 when it was very high neighbour voting, they didn´t complain at all (they got a good placing both years so why complain? xwhistle)

The only solution: SEND BETTER SONGS, look at :at: and :nl: this year for example

Romeo

I thought Sweden were the next biggest contributor?

SpZ

Not that into giving automatic pass to any country, but if there is this system, I'd support G6+Turkey+Russia.

Mlyn

Banned
Yeah maybe the best 4 of Big 8 get prequalified and the rest gets relegated.

So, for 2015, Ukraine, Russia, Spain and UK would be in the final already, whereas Germany, Italy, France and Turkey would have to pass the semis first.

greece

Realy I dont think that Russia or Sweden need to be prequalified. Sweden has fail to qualify only once and Russia never

henhu

Big five as Azerbaijan, Russia, Ukraine, Romania and Greece would be good. They could send anything to get through anyway so if they don't compete in semis, then unlucky countries have better chance! But of course they wouldn't want to be part of big five for any price :D Being on 2 shows instead of 1 show and grabbing top 3 places in semis is great for them!

greece

Big five as Azerbaijan, Russia, Ukraine, Romania and Greece would be good. They could send anything to get through anyway so if they don't compete in semis, then unlucky countries have better chance! But of course they wouldn't want to be part of big five for any price :D Being on 2 shows instead of 1 show and grabbing top 3 places in semis is great for them!

Be in Big 5 also requires to pay money. I don't think that we are the most appropriate :D

Sammy

Veteran
And why not a "little 5"? let's put those 5 countries automatically into the final who had the worst results over the years :D
*irony mode off*

Top Bottom