• Total voters

ESC United Mod Team

Super Moderator
flag-800.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Mainshow

Veteran
It just hit me:

The last two Belgian entries which got selected via a national final/by the public in the last 10 years are:

Mainshow

Veteran
What’s the pressure was chosen by national final in 2016

Oh!, you are right!
I always forget about this song´s existence.
It was such a generic, dated and useless entry... I still can´t believe it qualified (she was glowing on stage, though and totally sold that song...it was a great opening performance)

All three choices were tragic - and unironically, I think that Gustaph is my favourite.

MopManMoss

Veteran
Oh!, you are right!
I always forget about this song´s existence.
It was such a generic, dated and useless entry... I still can´t believe it qualified (she was glowing on stage, though and totally sold that song...it was a great opening performance)

All three choices were tragic - and unironically, I think that Gustaph is my favourite.
The past no longer matters, Gustaph is the only thing that matters now

goncalovieira

Well, Chérine will be part of my heart forever, but this guy is such a gem!
Amazing performer and voice. About the song, it is sounds 90's in a good way. Likely Q.
8 points.

Ali_

I'm pretty middling on this song but bloody hell is it catchy - it has been stuck in my head all morning. Don't see it qualifying.

RainyWoods

Croak-kay
My interest in Eurovision is sadly at an all time low. I haven't been keeping up to date with anything but "Ooo Belgium chose their song, we'll give it a listen".

Initial confusion eventually led to a smile on my face by the time Gustaph's three minutes were up. I don't even need to hear the other songs in the NF to realise this victory was an upset (a more mature of age, flamboyant gentleman wearing a giant hat whilst doing cowboy legs was never going to be the favourite of Eurofans). I generally dislike house music for how repetitive and to my ears barren it sounds, and this track doesn't really avoid that (trappings of the genre, I guess), and yet the whole package is such a cute, infectious little thing. It comes across as sincere and likeable, almost adorably so. You want to root for this guy. At least I do. Might not be 100% my cup of tea musically but I'm going to appreciate this song's presence at the contest and have some fun with it. Gustaph sings great too, as do his backup girls.

I was going to give the entry 7 points but THIS moment...

giphy.gif

Requires an immediate upgrade to :8: points

KaleBriez

Gustaph was interviewed today and told that the act in the national final is a blueprint of what we will see in Liverpool. There might be a few changes but not that many.

One day later and still can't comprehend how this could've won. I might come over like a sore loser (I am) but the voting through the VRT Max App failure might've been significant for the result. It took an hour for me to log in and vote.

An extension of the vote via the app would've been a solution because they already mentioned the problems during the show.
Ah well, another VRT flop. Still happy for Gustaph, he seems like a cheerful soul.

Gera11

WorldVision Mod
Staff member
When I woke up this morning and checked twitter and read all the outrage I thought we have another :be: 2014 song on our hands but this is just...fine? I don't get the hate at all. Not following NFs that closely this year is really doing wonders to my mental health it would seem.

Gustaph: "the joy to be yourself"
Escfans:

Screen_Shot_2020-10-05_at_11.51.58_AM.png

I'll give it a :6: for now

Sammy

Veteran
where do you people see the Boy George similarity here apart from the hat which Boy George did not always wear btw.?
the voice is different, the style is different, the music is different, the charisma is different, the outfit/make up is different… xshrug

Last edited:

njdevils94

Veteran
It just hit me:

The last two Belgian entries which got selected via a national final/by the public in the last 10 years are:

Not quite. You are forgetting Laura Tesoro winning in 2016.

So..... VRT hosts another NF in 2025 and they come top 10 to follow the trend? :unsure:

Ajeje Brazorf

VRT is not really good at choosing Eurovision songs. What's the best they choose? Me and my guitar? Probably yes, so there is 13 years VRT selects average or mediocre songs. That's the reality... And even Me and My Guitar, a good song overall, wasn't a masterpiece anyway.

Luneaux

Interesting choice for Belgium! Gave this :4:! He can sing, it's an okay-ish song, just not memorable enough for me.

Top Bottom