Contact us

Australia AUSTRALIA 2024 - Electric Fields - One Milkali (One Blood)

How do you rate this entry?

5 4.0%

4 3.2%

9 7.1%

14 11.1%

10 7.9%

20 15.9%

19 15.1%

17 13.5%

13 10.3%

4 3.2%

11 8.7%

• Total voters

ESC United Mod Team

Super Moderator
flag-800.png

Shadowfuxcs

It's great to integrate the native culture in the entry but still it sounds cookie-cutter/generic as Australian entries often tend to be.
There's no intrigue in the beginning or the end of the song, and it's not dynamic to set up moments with the live staging.
Feels like there's unrealised potential with this.

jatojo

I wouldn't remember this song if I heard it 50 times. Should I really give another 4? Yeah, I'll do that - once again. I can always change it later.

lavieenrose

Albania Superstar
I was about ready to call this a minor letdown. I was ready to say that many of the main elements of Electric Fields that made "2000 and Whatever" one of the very best songs Eurovision has brought into my life were there--the quirky and poetic lyricism and the force of personality that both performers (particularly Zaachariaha) display--but that the creativity of the composition just wasn't there.

Then the didgeridoo bit hit. Holy shit, I got chills. Zaachariaha's voice is meant to be accompanied by a didgeridoo at all times. The synergy between the didgeridoo and the vocals knocked me right over.

:12: points. How could I ever doubt you two. Thank you for this and for everything.

Mrlazzyjazzy

It's well produced and there's a lot to the instrumental but I'm just going to be real I miss the big pop songs designed to maximise jury votes etc lol and the big respected acts we used to send. No we weren't reinventing the wheel but I miss the thirst on the Aussie delegation to win. The last two entries have been good enough songs that could at best do top ten or in this case top 20 with the right staging etc.

Last edited:

FilipFromSweden

I kind of love this, it stands out compared to the other entries

shameless

Nah, this ain't it. Another banality with too much repeat in the lyrics. If last years winning song had any effect on this year, it shows how many countries are not afraid to send songs whoms chorus easily gets repetitive.

Preuss

Yeah upon a second listen it’s quite pleasant but comes across as very uncompetitive…

But there’s an anthemuc feeling to the song they must take advantage of on stage - I’d say they’ll have to really commit to the aboriginal parts of this song to really make it stand out. Like bring a didgeridoo or something

KazNew

I am begging every single one of you to listen to the song without the damn music video. Far too many of you are giving this a low score because you don't like the visuals.

This is the first Australian entry that I have personally felt proud to send (other than Jess in retrospect). Aboriginal cultures are the longest continually surviving cultures and languages on the planet and it's a damn shame that not enough people know about them. Indigenous Australians are continually mistreated and dominated by oppressive colonial institutions which still remain. They are the most imprisoned group per capita in the world. The song is a testament to finding joy, beauty, and love in spite of our social conditions.

Is the song revolutionary? No. But it is unique, catchy, anthemic, has staging potential, and will have guaranteed killer live vocals. Anyone calling this a lock NQ - particularly anyone suggesting that this is on the same level as the likes of Iceland or Moldova - needs to just wait for rehearsals, because I have a strong feeling that they're cooking up something.

Gera11

WorldVision Mod
Staff member
Uhh, in theory I should enjoy this, the Aboriginal elements are lovely but the overall package is uneventful. :(

:5:

njdevils94

Veteran
Well I don't mind it but this sounds like a non-qualifier on the first few listens.

Granted I wasn't as enamored with 2000 and Whatever as some people on here (I liked it but didn't love it) but One milkali (One Blood) is a lot flatter than their Australia Decides entry from a few years back. xshrug

I like the traditional aboriginal elements and didgeridoo sounds underneath the music but that is only a very brief part of the song. Otherwise this is basically generic dance-pop. The references like 0.618 (inverse of the golden ratio), Fleetwood Macs and the Janets are kind of interesting but don't see a lot of casuals understanding their purpose in the song unless it presented in a clear way on stage.

0scar

Have listened to it once more this morning and I have to say, it for sure isn't a lock NQ, but still: it's pleasant and that's basically it.
I found myself humming "One Milkalila" though so it might stick in people's mind easier than we expect

SpiritofKeiino

I listened to it again this morning. It's certainly not an obvious qualifier and tbh feels like a NQ. I believe there is a strong vocalist here and Australia tend to do well with staging, so there is a small hope of it qualifying especially if some other entries turn out to be lacklustre. SF1 is turning out not to be as strong as I expected, I have changed my mind on Tali I now think she is a qualifier.

If this managed to qualify I think it would flop with televote and get some moderate jury love, maybe like Sheldon Riley (an entry I hated with a passion)

Grinch

Glad I'm not the only one who creeped out by 2 naked strangers looking at me, smiling in a weird way for 3 mins.

I listened to this song again today (without the video, geez). Still mid and forgettable but :au: is always good with staging so maybe they could trick voters into believing the entry is actually above average. Although feels like a NQ in every way possible.

Top Bottom