We can do whatever
Techni-technicolour
Techni-technicolour
If we care for one another
We can

Shine​

Last edited by a moderator:

Ianp16

Just played it again and I LOVE IT. This is everything. Honestly, I couldn't STAND Don't Break Me. It is, as @tuorem mentioned, very Marina sounding, but it just pops. I hope her live skills are good because this deserves a meaningful, extra wacky performance that allows the song to soar.

tenor.gif

Loindici

Veteran
With that being said, @Loindici is Montaigne generally good live?

I'd say not generally. In her live performances her voice isn't really stable, there are some shakiness here and there, but most of the times she's able to control it and also compensated that with the power of her voice. I think she delivers better on a stand-in performance, though: Don't Break Me sounds shaky since she never really do that kind of choreographed performance before, as her usual performances are more indie-oriented with bands.

Pål Nordahl

I appreciate Montaigne going for something completely different from "Don't Break Me", which was one of my bottom songs last year. Unfortunately I just don't like her singing style - at all. It irritates me for some reason, especially during her live performances. And this song is much more difficult to pull off live!

That said, not a bad effort by any means. :5: points from me.

LoveTw

It's the risk of hyperpop...Although I love it, I don't think most people will love it and her live vocals are the problems with so many runs. If she can't pull it off, I can see it not qualifying with both the jury and the televote.

jatojo

I don't know if it's too basic or if it's too complex - but I'm sure it's not a hit.

midnightsun

Veteran
This left me surprisingly kind of unimpressed. Maybe it will grow on me but for now a solid 6. Especially keeping in mind that Montaigne isn’t the best live singer so it could as well go down on my list once it’s Eurovision.

BorisBubbles

Veteran
It has always irked me that people (wiwibloggs) insisted "Don't break me" was some brilliant indie composition, when it was the most mainstream thing in the room. Montaigne, more like fucking *MUNDAIGNE* because that's what it was.

"Technicolour" though... yes, this is true indie pop, the one Montaigne used to make before she got on Aus Decides. I'm happy she decided to go back to her roots and didn't bring me clown, clown, clown. More importantly, the song slaps, and that's the whole fight with Aus (who have proven themselves competent stagers in the past but were let down by their horrible songs.)

:10: points upon relisten.

RainyWoods

Croak-kay
It has always irked me that people (wiwibloggs) insisted "Don't break me" was some brilliant indie composition, when it was the most mainstream thing in the room. Montaigne, more like fucking *MUNDAIGNE* because that's what it was.

"Technicolour" though... yes, this is true indie pop, the one Montaigne used to make before she got on Aus Decides. I'm happy she decided to go back to her roots and didn't bring me clown, clown, clown. More importantly, the song slaps, and that's the whole fight with Aus (who have proven themselves competent stagers in the past but were let down by their horrible songs.)

:10: points upon relisten.

Everything in this post.. yes Boris, yes.

This is it. When the names were announced last year for the Australian selection, I checked everyone out and it was Montaigne who got me the most excited. She had her own thing going on. Then we were presented with Don't Break Me. Erm no. That wasn't it. Such a bland three minutes. This year she's ON. Thank the lord. Whatever happens Australia are finally being bold here.

hunty73

Montaigne was the artist i have been most excited about since she was announced for the last ESC.I think she is hugely talented,and i mean hugely.It could be im a demented old fool,or it could be other people will be woken up to this fact in May.

Dont Break Me was fine,but it seemed to me it was far too safe,almost like they feared to unleash the Kraken and backed off.
Not this time.This is Montaigne alright,and she will feel this song and performance and will fly with it.
This is a superb entry.While we have lots of younger artists this year ,they all ,so far have releases that are safe,boring ,tracks that say nothing about them,they are demo tracks passed around by producers and have zero integrity.Does ESC and the world want songs that look backwards,? ,bland,grey empty vessels ?

For the ESC stage this also has huge potential.The pre-recorded backing vocals rule this year will allow the delegation to really play with this.

They need to highlight those drums during the fantastic long bridge,then an explosion of light and hope during that sublime refrain.

The structure of the song is almost perfection as well for ESC,it tickles you early taking your hand gently into the melody,it then zooms higher and kicks you in the guts,it cools down during the middle eight only to dig into you during the bridge with those drums,then a refrain that leaves an impact hole like the Chicxulub crater.

My first and maybe only 12 without a shadow of a doubt.

Brandt

That is the kind of song that would be stuck in your head all day long. She wasn't really my favorite last year, but she did an amazing job this time.

Well done Australia. This feels so much like it is going to be in my top 5.

theditz83

Veteran
I ranked this a :7: but I feel that it probably deserves more. It's the messy production (which incidentally also makes the song so interesting and endearing) that is holding me back from giving more.

But omg that key change!! It genuinely makes my heart explode with rainbow sparkles and dust! I can see this massively growing on me this year xyaay xheya

While I found Don’t Break Me too anonymous and underwhelmingly low-key (which doesn't fit the ridiculously extrovert NF-performance at all), Technicolour is the extreme opposite of that. I think this the right direction to go since this song is among Australia's best entries so far.

I really like the execution of the synths in the composition and how they blend together with Montaigne's vocalities nicely, especially during the key change. It makes the song earwormy and actually creative. Quite strange coming from the Australian delegation, isn't it? However, the structure is non-cohesive which makes the song feel like an unfinished demo and as a result, the song isn't as mindblowing what it could be.

I really appreciate that Australia is taking a more risky approach with their entries for a change and hopefully future entries will follow the same path to stand out in a good way, this is Australia in Eurovision after all. Technicolour is not a winner, but this is a so-called "genuine" effort to show Australia's true colours (pun indeed intended) by having Montaigne be in the actual creative lead for this song.

:8: points

Ezio

Veteran
I like the chorus and the key change. Do I like a lot? Maybe.

Do I live for it? No. It is still sounding to tinny for me, screechy and scratchy like a fork over the chalkboard. My toe nails want to escape my anxiety-riddled body.

Besides that, the verses are not exciting. And the chorus needs a slight revamp of course. 7 points for now.

The song as a whole sounds so overproduced that I am curious if they can pull it of live. I remain doubtful.

VikingTiger

I know this genre is not for me in general. And I find her voice a bit annoying, especially when she goes high... Listenable enough for a generous 4 points.

kamc

Not sure what to make of this yet....I mean I think I like it?!
It sounds like an early demo and could definitely do with a revamp to add some more layers to it and make the overall song sound more cohesive.
Also, please remove that last high note from the live performance coz yeeeshhh....if you can’t make it on the recorded version then you really shouldn’t be attempting it at all. It sounds unintentionally laugh at loud awkward at the moment with the way she just completely falls off the note.

Top Bottom