Contact us

2018 WINTER OLYMPICS - Pyeongchang/South Korea

GermanBango

It's amazing to see so many international athletes actually coming to the German House to party - Seems to be the hotspot of the Olympics (probably with the best beer haha):lol:

GermanBango

The German Nordic Combiners though xheat ... meanwhile the biathlon girls are fucking up. Oh well ...
(Gold #13 for us now - our most successful Winter Olympics ever)

JamieBrown

Damn nooooo :(

Morty

Trondheim, Norway / Niavara, Balearica Island
Day 13:
Alpine skiing (men's slalom): After the first run, I had big hopes in this event. Marcel Hirscher got a DNF, Henrik Kristoffersen was in the lead, and Sebastian Foss-Solevåg was 5th, not far away from at least a bronze medal. I knew anything can happen in slalom tho, there's very little margin for error, but with Hirscher out, the road seemed open for Henrik. But first, Sebastian had a very good second run, until very late. He made a mistake that cost him at least a second, and without it, he'd have a silver now. So that was disappointing, especially for him. But we had one left, but Henrik did the same as Marcel, he failed to finish. Which meant the gold went to André Myhrer instead, and with Ramon Zenhäusern in 2nd, it was a good day for the tall guys. And when a Norwegian didn't win, I'm happy that a Swede won tbh. :)
There was also a question on the quiz at work about this, how many Norwegians would qualify to the second run? Now, unlike the World Cup, it's not just the top 30 who qualifies to the second run in the Olympics, but it didn't really matter. Nordbotten got a DNF in the first run, and the other 3 were well within the top 30, so it wouldn't have changed anything. I figured a DNF would be more likely than ending out of the top 30 anyway. I guessed 3, taking a risk that one of them would fail, despite good results in the World Cup, and got a point here.

Alpine skiing (women's combined): Again an event where we could get something, altho I didn't know what to expect from Ragnhild Mowinckel in the slalom. Also not a perfect downhill run from her today, so she was maybe a bit further behind Vonn than I would have preferred. I thought Shiffrin would win this tho, but she wasn't as dominant in the slalom as I expected her to be. And unfortunately, Ragnhild missed out on another medal, finishing 4th. I'd say she lost it in the downhill, because I think the slalom was pretty good for her. She's had a very good visit in Korea tho, so she wasn't disappointed at all about any of this. :)

Biathlon (women's relay): The wind obviously played a part in this, but it was difficult for everyone at times. Made it exciting to watch tho, and we were fighting for medals until the end, despite big problems on the shooting range. Nice to see Domracheva get a gold, as she's married to Ole Einar Bjørndalen, and nice to see Sweden get the silver. This isn't cross-country skiing, so it's ok to be beaten by the Swedes here. ;) Unlucky 4th for us, but it could have been a whole lot worse.
This was also on the quiz, and rather specific too. Would Norway take the silver? I didn't really believe in a medal at all, so I guessed no, so a point here, but we came closer than I thought.

Freestyle (men's halfpipe): The only thing I can really say about this, is that the tricks these guys were doing were incredible. Also cool to see a 16-year-old from New Zealand get a medal. :D

Ice hockey (women): I actually saw the final, or at least most of it, mainly because it was on the quiz at work, and I had predicted a win for USA. Didn't look too good when Canada was leading 2-1, but USA came back, and eventually won on penalties. :eek: Exciting! Not exciting enough to make me a fan of hockey, but still, it was worth watching this match. :) And I got a point on the quiz too, altho I think I'm already too far behind to have any chances anyway, despite 3 points today.

Nordic combined (team event): After the individual large hill competition, it seemed pretty obvious that Germany would win this. I had a small hope that maybe Norway would be able to give them at least a small bit of a fight, but we were never really close enough for that. Started the cross-country in 4th, and got a silver out of it, I'd say that's a very good result after a bit too much bad luck in these Olympics.

Short track speed skating (women's 1000 m): Still very exciting to watch these events. I thought Suzanne Schulting would go into shock when she won, she was so happy. :D Unfortunate for the Koreans tho, 2 in the final, and they collided with eachother. :(

Short track speed skating (men's 500 m): This was incredible, Wu's speed, especially in the final, was incredible. Beating the old world record from 2012 by 0.35 seconds must be an eternity on a distance this short. :eek: Good speed on the other 3 as well, with the 2 Koreans also faster than the old WR, but not fast enough for a gold.

Short track speed skating (men's 5000 m relay): Another Korean fall in a final, so unlucky for them today. Congrats to Hungary, and a nice end of the Olympics also for Elise Christie, who's in a relationship with Shaolin Sándor Liu, after she only got a 4th place, and an injured foot out of her own competitions.

Snowboarding (women's big air): We had a Norwegian in the final here, Silje Norendal, and as the winner of this event in the Winter X Games last year, there were medal chances. But altho she stuck her landings, it seemed a bit she like she tried to play it safe, because she wasn't close to the jumps from some of the others. She ended 6th, and that seems fair tbh. Great job by Anna Gasser, deserved winner. :)

Day 13: 1 silver. Slightly disappointed tbh, but with the amount of medals we have in these Olympics, I can't complain. :p

JChan

Ugh first the womens team "loses" in a shootout (don't decide medals this way!!) and then the curling team loses. I'm shocked. What a terrible night.

esc87fan

Ugh first the womens team "loses" in a shootout (don't decide medals this way!!) and then the curling team loses. I'm shocked. What a terrible night.

They gave it their best, that's all they could do. At least Canada added more short track medals to its haul (silver for Kim Boutin in the 1000m and bronze in the men's relay), and now they're 2 medals away from tying the record total set in Vancouver. Watch out for men's snowboarding big air and women's ski cross, and there's also a contender in women's figure skating

JChan

They gave it their best, that's all they could do. At least Canada added more short track medals to its haul (silver for Kim Boutin in the 1000m and bronze in the men's relay), and now they're 2 medals away from tying the record total set in Vancouver. Watch out for men's snowboarding big air and women's ski cross, and there's also a contender in women's figure skating

Don't worry!! I'm sooo unbelievably proud of our girls. just disappointed(boo shootouts). I think I'm just getting to emotionally connected to the Olympics. Don't forget about mens hockey, speed skating mass starts and 50km cross country skiing!! Still lots of medals to come!! xheart :ca: xheart

esc87fan

Don't worry!! I'm sooo unbelievably proud of our girls. just disappointed(boo shootouts). I think I'm just getting to emotionally connected to the Olympics. Don't forget about mens hockey, speed skating mass starts and 50km cross country skiing!! Still lots of medals to come!! xheart :ca: xheart

Of course! I do think we're going to bust our Vancouver record for sure! :ca:xcheer

Morty

Canada could get all the medals in the skicross. Maybe a bit unlikely, but given you had the top 3 in the seeding run, they've already proven to be fast in that course. You'll definitely beat your record. :)

Also a small update on my quiz (that nobody else cares about here). First of all, I had forgotten that the women's big air was also there, because it was originally set for tomorrow. Would USA get the gold? I don't remember who I had in my mind, but I guessed no, so I got a point there as well, thanks to Anna Gasser. :)
Second, due to vacations at work, I helped counting the scores of everyone so far. Excluding the big air, I have 21 points, and that means I'm only 1 point behind the leaders. :eek: It's crowded at the top tho, 7 people have 22 points, 10 have 21 points, and there's still 10 points to fight for. Well, 9, as the big air is already done, but I've also already lost my chances on 2 of them, because Klæbo won't go the 50 km, and we already have more than 12 gold medals. :p And I've got :ca: as winners of both the men's curling and the men's ice hockey, so you better bring your eh game. ;)

JChan

And I've got :ca: as winners of both the men's curling and the men's ice hockey, so you better bring your eh game. ;)

Bad news on the curling front... we lost our semi finals(to a country that will NOT be named). Hopefully, our hockey team can pull out a miracle!! Semi-finals tonight!!

Morty

Hey Morty: it looks like your mixed doubles curlers will be getting an upgrade! xup
Yeah, saw on the news that they're going back to Korea to get their medals. :D

Bad news on the curling front... we lost our semi finals(to a country that will NOT be named). Hopefully, our hockey team can pull out a miracle!! Semi-finals tonight!!
Aww. :( Guess I'll cheer for Sweden in curling then. Won't give me any points, but in general, if Norway can't win, I generally want Sweden to win. Unless it's cross-country skiing. :p At least there's still hockey, even more important that you win it now. :eek:

esc87fan

At least there's still hockey, even more important that you win it now. :eek:

The last time Canada faced Germany in the medal round in men's hockey was Vancouver 2010, we destroyed them! Hoping for more of the same

Women's ski cross looks very promising, with 4 Canadians in the mix including defending champion Marielle Thompson there could be the possibility of a podium sweep

esc87fan

I'll also be watching men's snowboard big air closely, especially Mark McMorris and Sebastien Toutant

balizeg

The gold the :hu: Liu-Liu-Knoch-Burjan team has won today is the first ever for Hungary at the Winter Olympics. History was made!xheya So happy for them xlove

esc87fan

CBC showed a clip featuring the German-language Eurosport commentators going crazy over the overtime goal in men's hockey against Sweden :lol:

1-2 IN SKI CROSS!!!! Kelsey Serwa and Brittany Phelan take gold and silver... we have officially tied our record from Vancouver! :ca:xheyaxcheer

Morty

Congrats Canada! :) As usual, a lot going on in the skicross. I didn't think the 1/8th finals would be that interesting, with only 3 in each heat, but when Marielle Thompson fell in the first jump, I knew anything could happen. Which Debora Pixner showed in her heat, just qualifying to the quarterfinal after falling on the last jump. Unlucky for Thompson tho, and she was obviously disappointed in the interview, but at least she made it to the Olympics, and showed that she's still competitive after her injury, so she'll be dangerous in the rest of the World Cup. Very unlucky for India Sherret, haven't found any updates on how she's doing yet, but it didn't look good. :/ Also a bit unlucky for Sandra Näslund, she felt robbed of a medal, as she didn't think Smith races fair. And I definitely see her point, it's not the first time Smith has used her elbows in skicross, and I think the judges need to step up on this. I don't think we saw a single penalty in the skicross or snowboardcross in Korea, and that's a bit unusual, but there's room for improvement in the World Cup as well. Näslund will win the World Cup tho, but she definitely deserved better than a 4th today. Good day by Lisa Andersson, finishing 6th today. :)

JChan

Congrats Canada! :) As usual, a lot going on in the skicross. I didn't think the 1/8th finals would be that interesting, with only 3 in each heat, but when Marielle Thompson fell in the first jump, I knew anything could happen. Which Debora Pixner showed in her heat, just qualifying to the quarterfinal after falling on the last jump. Unlucky for Thompson tho, and she was obviously disappointed in the interview, but at least she made it to the Olympics, and showed that she's still competitive after her injury, so she'll be dangerous in the rest of the World Cup. Very unlucky for India Sherret, haven't found any updates on how she's doing yet, but it didn't look good. :/ Also a bit unlucky for Sandra Näslund, she felt robbed of a medal, as she didn't think Smith races fair. And I definitely see her point, it's not the first time Smith has used her elbows in skicross, and I think the judges need to step up on this. I don't think we saw a single penalty in the skicross or snowboardcross in Korea, and that's a bit unusual, but there's room for improvement in the World Cup as well. Näslund will win the World Cup tho, but she definitely deserved better than a 4th today. Good day by Lisa Andersson, finishing 6th today. :)

When Marielle fell on the first jump a part of my heart fell as well. Soo gutted.. she had worked so hard to get back to the Olympics after her injury. I don't think she should compete the rest of the world cup this year, if she injuries her knee again, it could be the end of her career. I'm shocked Naslund finished 4th. Imho ski cross is such a dangerous sport(especially this crazzy course) the last thing it needs is Fanny waving her elbows into her competitors face. Naslund was easily the favourite going in.. and was lowkey robbed by an elbow. I agree that the judging should be more present?? theres literally a moment in the race where fanny reaches out to smack Naslund. ANYWAYS I'm really happy for Serwa and Phalen gutted for Thompson and Sherret.

esc87fan

WE'VE DONE IT, WE'VE DONE IT! Kaetlyn Osmond won a bronze medal in ladies' figure skating, meaning Canada now has 27 medals and has shattered its all-time best haul in a single Winter Olympics! And still I'm sure a few more to come by the time the Pyeongchang flame is extinguished!

:ca:xheyaxheyaxcheerxcheer:ca:

Top Bottom