Contact us

2018 WINTER OLYMPICS - Pyeongchang/South Korea

Daybreak

Apparently today which is also our Independence Day is our best in these Olympics, Saskia Alusalu got a 4th place in the women's speed skating mass start with a particularly tactical race :) It also makes these Olympics better for us than Sochi.

ShoeFlo

Oh damn, we were so close to make the miracle complete xcry
If we just defended the goal 50 seconds longer.
Well nevermind, congrats to OAR for winning gold and congrats to :no: for winning the medal table. Totally deserved. By far the best wintersports nation

Morty

Trondheim, Norway / Niavara, Balearica Island
Day 16:
Bob (four-man): I've been cheering a bit for the Koreans in these sliding events, because I have a few HJC helmets that I really like, and HJC is both a Korean company, and also the helmet providers for the Korean sliders. So to see the Korean four-man team manage the silver in the end was great. :D Not surprised to see the Germans up there tho.

Cross-country skiing (women's 30 km): I usually have little interest in this, but with the German gold in bob, we needed a gold to win the medal-table. And Marit Bjørgen delivered, like she very often does. :D
And this was also on the quiz at work, who would win? My guess was the queen herself (Marit Bjørgen), and she won, so a point for me. :)

Curling (women): Congrats Sweden. :)

Ice hockey (men): Despite my lack of interest in this sport, wow! If you look at the medal standings in these Olympics, we should probably be happy in Norway about the result in the final, but I would have given Germany that additional gold tbh, because I realize just how incredible their performance have been in hockey. Germany is supposed to be at Norway's level in this sport, we are in fact ranked a little bit higher. :eek: This is up there with what Iceland is doing in football! :eek: Very unfortunate about the timing of OAR's 3-3 goal tho, but still, a silver is very good. Congrats Germany! :D
This was also on the quiz, who would win? My guess took the bronze, I thought Canada would win this. I'm sure a few had guessed Russia tho, so yet another reason to cheer for Germany, at least for me...

Day 16: 1 gold.

A few extra questions on the quiz btw:
Who would get the most medals? My guess was Norway, and I got a point on that. Which I'm sure a lot of people did...
How many gold medals would Norway get? I guessed 12, and came rather close, but 14 in the end, and no point.
How many distances would J.H. Klæbo go? He could have gone 6, but I guessed 5, as I figure he would skip at least one. He ended up skipping 2 tho, and only did 4, so no point here.

Maximum points on this quiz was 49, my result was 25, and I'm not really satisfied with this result. I was only 1 point behind the lead not long ago tho, but I expect people to have gotten more points than me in these last 2 days, so I'll be lucky to get a top 20 result. Which isn't that bad, considering 74 people was in it. I guess I'll know tomorrow. :)

It's been 2 great weeks tho, and I wish it wouldn't end tbh. But only 29 months until Tokyo 2020, and "only" 4 years until Beijing 2022. Looking forward to both of those, and I'll probably take time off work for those too tbh. :D

Moment of Pyeongchang 2018? Ester Ledecká, Super-G. xheart

Malagant

FSC Admin
Staff member
Great Winter Olympics, I really enjoyed these past two weeks! xcheer

Congrats to :ca: Canada on coming 3rd in the meals table, :de: Germany with your (near) best games ever and 2nd in the medals table (very impressive), and of course to my native :no: Norway with our best games ever and coming out top of the medals table with 14 golds, 14 silvers and 11 bronzes - 39 medals in all. We are a proud winter sports nation and it never ceases to amaze me that ‘little Norway’ has been and continues to be the most successful winter sports nation in the world xcheer xlove

There have been many highlights in these games for me , both Norwegian and others. I think we have all seen loads of examples of excellence and also sportsmanship.

Of other countries' successes, I was especially impressed by :se: Sweden and :fr: France (Fourcade) in the biathlon, :us: USA (men's curling), :nl: the Netherlands (speed skating), :pl: Poland (men's ski jumping, Stoch) and :at: Austria (Alpine, Hirscher) xup

Of the many :no: Norwegian successes, a special mention to our cross country skiing relay golds (these relays are always among the most coveted for us and Sweden have bested us before in many of these relays in previous olympics so winning now was especially sweet), the incredible gold in the men’s 500 m speed skating (a distance that Norway has never been good at in speed skating, having through the years had priority on longer distances/all round), Axel Lund Svindal’s brilliant gold in the men’s downhill, and of course Marit Bjørgen’s gold today at the women’s 30 km cross country skiing event, a crowning achievement of an incredible career also making her the greatest winter olympian (and greatest cross country skiier) of all time. I have nothing but admiration for her. A true legend, also in personality, conduct and as a team leader of the Norwegian cross country skiing team over countless years xheart

Thank you, Pyeongchang - for a very enjoyable and well executed winter olympics! And thank you to all nations and athletes taking part, you all deserve our admiration xcheer

GermanBango

Olympic Closing Ceremonies aka people from all over the world not giving a fuck about petty politicians and just having a gigantic party together. That's the shit I'm living for. xyaaay
Gonna post my résumé later.

GermanBango

So here we are - all good things come to an end. I think South Koreans did a great job hosting the Olympics and I really enjoyed learning more about their culture. Keeping my fingers crossed for a united Korea. The IOC should now work hard to bring back the Winter Olympics to Europe ... in 2026 it's gonna be 20 years since they were last hosted by a European country.
Congrats to Team Norway for finishing on top of the medal table and also congrats to all the athletes who managed to fulfill their dreams during these past 2 weeks.

As for Team Germany: I can only say that I couldn't be prouder. A young team that did a terrific job as German ambassadors.
14 x Gold - 10 x Silver - 7 x Bronze and in addiction 43 Top 10 placings really show what an amazingly strong team this was. Everyone involved can be very proud of these results especially considering that we were at a historic low only 4 years ago. (+6 gold medals and +12 medals in total compared to Sochi 2014). I also applaud the overall team spirit - it was just heartwarming to see how they all supported each other in victory and failure. True role models for young generations.

esc87fan

The final medal roll call for :ca: - Pyeongchang 2018

Gold (11)
*Figure skating team
*Mikael Kingsbury (moguls)
*Kaitlyn Lawes/John Morris (mixed doubles curling)
*Ted-Jan Bloemen (speed skating, 10000m)
*Sam Girard (short-track, 1000m)
*Justin Kripps/Alex Kopacz (2-man bobsleigh)
*Tessa Virtue/Scott Moir (figure skating, ice dance)
*Cassie Sharpe (ski halfpipe)
*Kelsey Serwa (ski cross)
*Brady Leman (ski cross)
*Sebastien Toutant (snowboard big air)

Silver (8)
*Max Parrot (snowboard slopestyle)
*Laurie Blouin (snowboard slopestyle)
*Justine Dufour-Lapointe (moguls)
*Kim Boutin (short-track, 1000m)
*Ted-Jan Bloemen (speed skating, 5000m)
*Brittany Phelan (ski cross)
*Women's hockey team
*Luge team (team relay)

Bronze (10)
*Mark McMorris (snowboard slopestyle)
*Alex Beaulieu-Marchand (ski slopestyle)
*Alex Gough (luge)
*Meagan Duhamel/Eric Radford (figure skating, pairs)
*Kim Boutin (short track x2, 500m/1500m)
*Kaillie Humphries/Phylicia George (2-man bobsleigh)
*Kaetlyn Osmond (figure skating, ladies' singles)
*Short-track team (short track, men's relay)
*Men's hockey team

Total: 29 (3rd overall in standings)

Morty

Trondheim, Norway / Niavara, Balearica Island
Ooh, forgot to mention this. On the quiz at work, out of 74 participants, I finished 7th. :D 25 points was only 2 points behind the winner, so I'm satisfied with the result, even tho I did hope to get at least 30 points on this. :)

Top Bottom