Contact us

Who will qualify from each SF?

Synergise

Very preliminary, pre-running order, wild prediction of points in Semi 2, now that we know all the entries.
Maybe I'm underestimating Greece's chances here and overthinking the really low score last year, but I see this getting put early in its half and getting cannibalised a bit by Armenia.

CountryPoints12 points from:
Israel161Armenia, Czechia, Norway, France, Spain, RoW
Switzerland139Austria, Estonia
Armenia126Greece, Georgia
Austria120Malta
Norway107Denmark
Belgium99Netherlands
Netherlands87Belgium
Albania82Switzerland, Italy
Georgia63Israel, San Marino (Jury)
Estonia52Latvia
Greece48Albania
Denmark25(5 points from Norway)
Latvia23(10 points from Estonia)
San Marino11(7 points from Spain)
Czechia10(3 points from Israel)
Malta7(4 points from San Marinese Jury)

Last edited:

boyardor

Very preliminary, pre-running order, wild prediction of points in Semi 2, now that we know all the entries.

Israel163Armenia, Czechia, Norway, France, Spain, RoW
Switzerland140Austria, Estonia
Armenia127Greece, Georgia
Austria120Malta
Norway107Denmark
Belgium103Netherlands
Netherlands87Belgium
Albania83Switzerland, Italy
Estonia46Latvia
Greece43Albania
San Marino12(7 points from Spain)
Czechia11(3 points from Israel)
You really think that boring songs from Latvia, Albania and San Marino will be higher than Czecha?

Synergise

You really think that boring songs from Latvia, Albania and San Marino will be higher than Czecha?
Unfortunately, yeah. Albania has incredible diaspora support in this semi, and I don't see a world where it's not qualifying in a 100% televote system.

Czechia could easily outperform Latvia and San Marino, but I don't think any of them will do well I'm afraid. Latvia has Estonia and I can see them doing well with the San Marinese jury. Megara are Spanish (and known to fans in Spain through Benidorm Fest) and Italy is here who might give them SOMETHING.

Czechia is one of those countries that just has no reliable support, they're in the first half... it's an uphill battle for a song that wasn't massively well received at it's national final.

han-g

Maybe I'm underestimating Greece's chances here and overthinking the 0 last from year, but I see this getting put early in its half and getting cannibalised a bit by Armenia.

Israel163Armenia, Czechia, Norway, France, Spain, RoW
Switzerland140Austria, Estonia
Armenia127Greece, Georgia
Austria120Malta
Norway107Denmark
Belgium103Netherlands
Netherlands87Belgium
Albania83Switzerland, Italy
Estonia46Latvia
Greece43Albania
San Marino12(7 points from Spain)
Czechia11(3 points from Israel)
I think your 12 points to Israel are questionable. I don't see Spain or Norway giving 12 points to Israel and I think Armenia has France's 12 on lock and they themselves will probably give 12 to Georgia, i doubt they're feeling very pro israel after the support israel gave Azerbaijan. Armenia Greece and Albania will be coming for those rotw votes hard so I'm not even sure that's the case.

Synergise

I think your 12 points to Israel are questionable. I don't see Spain or Norway giving 12 points to Israel and I think Armenia has France's 12 on lock and they themselves will probably give 12 to Georgia, i doubt they're feeling very pro israel after the support israel gave Azerbaijan. Armenia Greece and Albania will be coming for those rotw votes hard so I'm not even sure that's the case.
You might be right on a few of these - many of the 12s for Israel here are for countries that I didn't see a great alternative for (mainly in the case of Spain and Norway). France is hard because Israel/Armenia are the top 2 on lock anyway but knowing the balance is hard.

It's very tricky predicting how much support Israel will get and how much quiet support there is out there across Europe. I'm thinking, with the voting system as it is, it will be high in the televote here and in the final, but not quite as strong as Ukraine back in 2022. I really can't see anyone other than Israel winning the RoW vote though, not even Albania or Armenia.

han-g

You might be right on a few of these - many of the 12s for Israel here are for countries that I didn't see a great alternative for (mainly in the case of Spain and Norway). France is hard because Israel/Armenia are the top 2 on lock anyway but knowing the balance is hard.

It's very tricky predicting how much support Israel will get and how much quiet support there is out there across Europe. I'm thinking, with the voting system as it is, it will be high in the televote here and in the final, but not quite as strong as Ukraine back in 2022. I really can't see anyone other than Israel winning the RoW vote though, not even Albania or Armenia.
I think a French man representing Armenia is more than enough to tip the balance in Armenia's favour for France.

There not many pro Israelis in Spain or Norway, I expect small points at best from both of those and also this year small points at best from Armenia with pro Israeli sentiments at an all time low.

As for rotw, Armenia and Greece could benefit greatly from India with that vocal style. Greece should also gain a lot of votes from the balkans and North Africa. Albania will mostly be Kosovo plus diaspora. Armenia will be heavy in the diaspora front. Will pro Israelis take the time in the semi to vote en mass? Maybe, it a lock for qualifying though so I suspect many will save their money for the final. Rotw voting is not cheap if eurovision is not your hobby.

Actually another area where I think she could gain a 12 is San Marino. RAI is quite pro israel so it's hard to think San Marino wouldn't be and I don't think Georgia is particularly jury bait.

ESC Athens

Maybe I'm underestimating Greece's chances here and overthinking the 0 last from year, but I see this getting put early in its half and getting cannibalised a bit by Armenia.

Israel161Armenia, Czechia, Norway, France, Spain, RoW
Switzerland139Austria, Estonia
Armenia126Greece, Georgia
Austria120Malta
Norway107Denmark
Belgium99Netherlands
Netherlands87Belgium
Albania82Switzerland, Italy
Estonia52Latvia
Greece48Albania
San Marino11(7 points from Spain)
Czechia10(3 points from Israel)
I'd say that Netherlands will be higher, and I can't see Albania qualifying. Not sure about Georgia either, it will be borderline q/nq. I would also place Greece higher, I find it difficult not to qualify for the finals. I'm quite reserved for Armenia's performance as well.

MAD20

Now that SF2 is complete, here are my predictions:

Qualifiers: :am: :gr: :ch: :at: :be: :nl: :ee: :il: :no: :lv:
Non-qualifiers: :mt: :dk: :sm: :ge: :cz: :al:

And now what I would like:

Qualifiers: :am: :gr: :ch: :at: :be: :ee: :no: :lv: :sm: :ge:
Non-qualifiers :mt: :dk: :il: :cz: :al: :nl:

han-g

I'd say that Netherlands will be higher, and I can't see Albania qualifying. Not sure about Georgia either, it will be borderline q/nq. I would also place Greece higher, I find it difficult not to qualify for the finals. I'm quite reserved for Armenia's performance as well.
Albania will depend on how well the other countries do. I can see 41 points from diaspora alone, it would have been enough in semi 1 last year and nowhere near enough in semi 2.

Last edited:

Betwixt Tales

If we go by how the songs have scored on EurovisionWorld, right this moment, these are the songs that will qualify.

SEMI 1:
Serbia - 4.4
Lithuania - 4.3
Portugal - 4.1
Croatia - 4
Slovenia - 4
Luxembourg - 3.9
Poland - 3.9
Cyprus - 3.7
Ukraine - 3.6
Azerbaijan - 3.3

SEMI 2:
Greece - 4.4
Israel - 4.4
Georgia - 4.3
Netherlands - 4.3
Switzerland - 4.1
Austria - 4
Belgium - 4
Denmark - 3.9
Norway - 3.9
Armenia - 3.7

SpiritofKeiino

Ok after listening to SF1 songs let's give this a go.
This SF is not as strong as I expected it to be after the draw was announced.

SF1
Q :ua::ie::fi::sl::hr::rs::lt::
Borderline Q/NQ :pl::pt::lu::md:
NQ:is::cy::au::
Not enough info:az::

If pushed I would say that Poland and Moldova will be the last 2 NQs. I don't see the first half of the show having only one NQ namely Cyprus. I've heard talk about Poland benefiting from the diaspora but I believe if the diaspora don't like the song they won't support it.

Azerbaijan could be in trouble too but let's see the song.
Updating my SF1 prediction now that AZ is out
NQ: Iceland, Azerbaijan, Cyprus, Poland
I think Lux and Portugal will scrape through

Which leaves the last NQ as either Moldova or Australia.
Australia can maybe save themselves with a BIG rousing performance in the arena near the end (think Czechia 2022 story arc).
I don't see much potential for Moldova to qualify tbh.

Synergise

Prediction below. More than happy to be roasted for this one :lol:

I have Moldova going through on the expectation that they're going to bring it with the staging, like they've done so often in the past and that will push them into qualifying, and a prediction that Slovenia will flop a bit live. Luxembourg is so high because I think there will be a bit of an Israel effect that helps her out here, but not to the same extent as for Israel in semi 2. Poland qualifies predominantly on having almost every country it could want in this semi. I wouldn't rate Poland's chances at all had they been drawn into semi 2.

The Azerbaijan 0 feels harsh but if Fade to Black managed to get 0, and this is probably a more competitive semi-final than that was, then I think it's possible.

Croatia161Cyprus, Serbia, Slovenia, Germany
Ukraine153Lithuania, Poland, Azerbaijan, Moldova, RoW
Lithuania107Ireland, United Kingdom
Finland103Iceland, Sweden
Luxembourg102Portugal
Serbia98Croatia
Portugal86Luxembourg
Ireland77Finland
Poland63Ukraine
Moldova60(10 points from Portugal)
Slovenia40(10 points from Croatia and Serbia)
Cyprus38(12 points from Australia)
Australia7(2 points from UK and Iceland)
Iceland7(4 points from Sweden)
Azerbaijan0-

Last edited:

rasmuslights

Veteran
Prediction below. More than happy to be roasted for this one :lol:

I have Moldova going through on the expectation that they're going to bring it with the staging, like they've done so often in the past and that will push them into qualifying, and a prediction that Slovenia will flop a bit live. Luxembourg is so high because I think there will be a bit of an Israel effect that helps her out here, but not to the same extent as for Israel in semi 2. Poland qualifies predominantly on having almost every country it could want in this semi. I wouldn't rate Poland's chances at all had they been drawn into semi 2.

The Azerbaijan 0 feels harsh but if Fade to Black managed to get 0, and this is probably a more competitive semi-final than that was, then I think it's possible.

Croatia161Cyprus, Serbia, Slovenia, Germany
Ukraine153Lithuania, Poland, Azerbaijan, Moldova, RoW
Lithuania107Ireland, United Kingdom
Finland103Iceland, Sweden
Luxembourg102Portugal
Serbia98Croatia
Portugal86Luxembourg
Ireland77Finland
Poland63Ukraine
Moldova60(10 points from Portugal)
Slovenia40(10 points from Croatia and Serbia)
Cyprus38(12 points from Australia)
Australia7(2 points from UK and Iceland)
Iceland7(4 points from Sweden)
Azerbaijan0-

I mean apart from Slovenia being 11th and Moldova 10th I agree...

Like I just can't see why would anyone vote for Moldova and those 10 points from Portugal won't cut it.

SpiritofKeiino

Based on the NF performance I think Moldova would need a serious upgrade in the performance to qualify. The song isn't bad IMO. I could see it being a qualifier with a more dramatic, impactful performance. Moldova does have a knack of pulling off staging but I'm still unconvinced by the performer

Paco Roca

Many talk excitedly and eagerly about an "open year" where there is uncertainty and the battle will be tough. I partially disagree. It is true that it is difficult to make predictions but it is only in the case of who will access the final and the composition of the general ranking. The nations that will compete for victory are already clear.

Listening to the songs of 2024 it is possible to notice a drastic drop in quality and an edition too oriented towards noise and joke. Looking at the picture of the semi-finals it is even more desolate, so desolate that Slimane, great voice and interpretative strength aside, could win with a mediocre ballad.

Here are my thoughts on the semi-finals:

SF 1:

Ukraine [Q]: the song is nothing spectacular but it has its own identity and is averagely good. It won't struggle to qualify in an edition like this. Beyond the political vote, Ukraine, like Sweden and Italy, enjoys a lot of credit from the fans. It's a musical superpower.

Cyprus [Q]: same path as Lambrou, same sauce as every year but qualitatively it is valid. It can qualify without any problems. 12 points... coming from Greece!

Poland [Q]: I have doubts about the vocal quality of the Polish singer. I seem to resort to autotune often. The song itself is catchy and I like it. I would listen to her on the radio and then forget her forever but those few moments together will have been pleasant. If staged well, given the poverty of 2024, she will qualify only to be forgotten in the madness of the final.

Serbia [Q]: Serbia will not only qualify but with a poignant and impactful staging they could prove to be one of the darkest horses ever. The song and music video give me the idea of a "Lancôme" commercial but I can't say they are among the few notable 2024 products.

Lithuania [Q]: I was surprised by the charisma of the singer and the bass sounds of the song (today it seems that many sound engineers don't work very well with basses). In my opinion it is not only qualification but a guaranteed Top 10.

Croatia [Q]: I struggle to understand the hype of a song that mixes too many genres like collage and recalls the forgettable atmospheres of the old Eurovision. The music video makes me think of "Midsommar" and scares me. Certainly a qualifier but in the final he will have to face other noisy opponents who will take away points from him. The staging and vocals must be impeccable to stand out from the crowd.

Ireland [NQ]: I predict, even if I pray for the opposite, a disaster of staging and a vocal breakdown.

Slovenia [NQ]: one of the flops of the season. Qualitatively it is a good product but I think it reached its perfection in the music video. I foresee a staging capable of not giving the public the dark feeling it would like to generate. We have our 2024 Ronela Hajati.

Iceland [NQ]: no need to comment too much. Sing a tired old glory a dated song. The result will be certain elimination.

Finland [Q]: I believe that Finland will be able to achieve the result they are interested in: qualifying for the final. In fact, choosing W95M is a safe choice. Vocally we are at poor levels, the show is very close to Eurovision which we would like to forget but I won't deny that the Finnish representatives give everything on stage. Generally speaking, given the level of competition, they are undervalued (probably due to the comparison with Käärijää).

Portugal [Q]: While the song isn't as epic as many claim, it will qualify. It has its own identity amidst the hustle and bustle of wild dancing. It is, however, a filler qualifier.

Luxembourg [Q]: The song is averagely good and Tali is an averagely good singer. Friendly vote coming and certain qualification. She will collapse in the final.

Australia [Q]: one of the songs that convinced me the least but I can't imagine not seeing it in the final. Weak semi-final + a minimum of charisma + a sufficient song are enough to move forward.

Azerbaijan [NQ]: Not much to comment on. Averagely pleasant song but it doesn't have any form that allows it to stick in the listener's mind. Qualification impossible.

Moldavia [NQ]: original, vocally ok but... it's a strange musical product that also arouses a little hilarity. Moldova only knows how to conquer us if it makes us dance. See you in 2025.

Later the rest of my reviews and the qualifiers of the second semi-final.

Last edited:

Paco Roca

SF 2:

Austria [Q]: risk of elimination but will be saved by the sound. "We Will Rave", even if it is a little too '90s and nothing transcendental, is still impactful.

Malta [NQ]: catchy song but nothing special and the singer doesn't have the right charisma. Among Cyprus, Greece, Georgia and Italy it is the weakest Euro-diva.

Switzerland [NQ]: Unpopular forecast. In my opinion, Nemo reaches his best in the studio. Live he won't be able to bring the same strength.

"Sir. Your food is served 🧐"

"Tell me Alfred what good thing have you brought me 😋?"

"A delicious Euro-drama 🧐
"

Greece [Q]: will be saved thanks to the weak edition and the biggest flop of 2024: the fall of Switzerland with Nemo. Weaker song than the qualified ones. In the final it will scrape at the bottom.

Czech Republic [NQ]: In the studio it's a pleasant and not bad musical product. Live, however, the singer brays like a mule. I foresee a staging that is not up to par.

Albania [NQ]: improvement over the Albanian version but it's too edgy and weak a song regardless. Certain elimination.

Denmark [NQ]: would have what it takes to qualify. The song isn't terrible and the staging, while not spectacular, is slightly elegant. The real problem is found in the singer's voice and in her inability not to make the song vibrate emotionally. Here the guilty pleasure 2024 is served, eliminated without mercy.

Armenia [NQ???]: it could take Greece's place if only it managed to give the right explosion of exoticism through staging. It's the Eurovisual song that gives me the most trouble and therefore it's my question mark. There is potential but I'm not convinced... too repetitive and I think it has a sound that isn't to everyone's tastes...

Israel [Q]: musical qualities aside, will qualify thanks to politics but will not win in the final. There are no conditions for a repeat of Ukraine 2022.

Estonia [Q]: the most underrated song of the Eurovision season. If the staging works it could annoy Croatia and the Netherlands and repeat the success of Moldova 2022.

Georgia [Q]: in another edition she would have been eliminated. I find that, in this weak edition, the charisma of the Georgian representative can give that extra edge. Compared to Greece and Malta I think it is the strongest "Euro-diva".

Netherlands [Q]: unpopular opinion, could risk non-qualification. There's (exaggerated) hype at the moment and "Europapa" is fun but... will it work vocally on stage or will it fall apart like "Halo"? Compared to Croatia, here I see more uncertainties. If the staging is good and the vocal performance is good, Joost could try to annoy the favored nations. Many haven't thought about it but "Europapa" can win not so much for the sound joke but because it can become a European manifesto. I see a dangerous political component in it that can elevate the song very high. Another unpopular opinion, given the political component, might do well with juries.

Norway [Q]: currently the best song of the second semi-final. The vocal performance, the musical composition, the staging, the epic nature are there and they work. I don't know you can deny it. The ESC could win (although it could suffer from a lack of votes from some of the public - "Ulveham" is a song you have to click with or not, it's not as universal as those from Italy, France and Belgium).

Latvia [Q]: Will qualify because it's the only song that really differentiates itself from wild dancing and crazy sounds. The Latvian singer's voice is very competent. In the final it will collapse.

San Marino [Q]: in the semi-finals, Italy and Spain are among the voting countries. It's unlikely that Megara won't get favorable votes. "11:11" is not a masterpiece but I think it is one of the most underrated songs of 2024, together with Estonia. With a professional sound system (compared to the NF of San Marino) and a strong staging, the Spanish band may surprise.

Belgium [Q]: although I still have to understand if the staging will really work, qualitatively, together with Norway, Belgium has the best song of the second semi-final. If the staging works, I predict a first place in the second semi-final. Together with Italy, France and Norway, Belgium could compete for the final victory. I feel some "Ducan vibes".

Last edited:

BorisBubbles

Veteran
Qualifier tiers (R/O update)

SF1:

Locks: :hr:, :ua:, :lt: - these will be the top 3 in the semi, no matter what the rest of the r/o looks like. Impossible any of them NQs

Likely qualifiers:
:lu: - pleasant midrange pop and it closes. It's basically the same as Snap, which was similarly received before the TikTok virality.
:pt: - A really nice draw for Portugal that should secure an already likely Q thanks to diasporia votes from Luxembourg. Needs more belting to really bring it home.
:pl: - Even under the worst vocals imaginable, Poland simply have too many allies in this semi to miss out on the final

Borderline qualifiers:
:fi: They're so lucky to be in the second half I swear. First half (or second semi) and they'd be DEDGE.
:sl: The R/O allows Raiven to make a strong impression as the best vocalist in the semi, and her good song is surrounded by insipid shit nobody cares about. Y'all need to believe. IT IS YOUR LACK OF BELIEF THAT WILL KILL HER, AND NOTHING ELSE
:az: I don't really see how this gets a metric ton of votes, but I honestly feel there are too many songs below Azer on the totem pole for them to miss out here - but who knows
:rs: This draw is terrible for Serbia, and really brings out the flaws in Ramonda more. Visuals are more lasting if you're in the second half, and she just risks dying based on the audience's short term memory.
:cy: Before the draw I said Cyprus needed to dodge the first three spots in order to qualify, and lo and behold, they did not. This would be dead in a strong field. Semi 1 however, is not strong.

Unlikely qualifiers
:md: - Going after Finland's.... much of something could benefit them, and it IS Moldova... but surely they'll NQ this year, right?
:au: - This is a fairly okay draw on paper, but there hasn't been such a lack of hype for an Australian entry since Technocolour which everyone quasi-instantly identified as an NQ upon release. This one is heading towards the same path unless the staging is brilliant.

Dead on Arrival
:ie: The Witcher parts in Doomsday Blue are just... really abrasive, and I think they'll struggle to win enough people over right after Luktelk.
:is: Bless Their Heart

--------------------------------------------------------------------

SF 2

Locks:
:nl: - Closers have to be absolutely hopeless to NQ, and this being put last telegraphs to me that NL might have a good act planned in Sweden
:no: - Yeah absolutely zero way this NQs and I refuse to consider otherwise
:ee: - Yes ofc this is in you idiots.

Likely qualifiers:
:at: - Sixth and before the very statically staged Denmark is definitely a lot better than most other slots in the first half for an uptempo banger. They were already likely in but a shock NQ appears to have been dodged
:ch: - This was always a High Risk, High Reward entry in my eyes, and the r/o did nothing to persuade me to think otherwise
:am: - same principle as Poland in SF1. Ladaniva could be at risk under some semis but Armenia simply have too many allies in this one to be NQ
:il: - is without question doing the worst out of the last five songs in the semi, (having a bad song with a terminally unlikeable lead has to account for something even though it is Israel in 2024) but whatever the result, it'll never bad enough to get worse than tenth.

Borderline qualifiers
:gr: - I still don't see the vision with this strange, abrasive song. However, high betting odds have to account for something, and the songs further down the pecking order are less likely to receive high-mid points than a well-executed Greece.
:be: -- Same as Greece, really, except they don't have a diasporia.
:dk: - The 10th slot in the final certainly feels like it's between Malta and Denmark, and Denmark's draw is a bit more favourable. Sand also just... sounds Eurovisiony, but whether it's in a good way or in a very dated, tinned way who can tell.
:mt: - I currently have her 11th, but I can definitely imagine a scenario where Sarah outsells Loop like she did at MESC, and leapfrogs over Saba into the finale. Opening the semi is not ideal however, so hopefully she has something memorable prepared to overcome the short term memory loss the audience suffers from.

Unlikely qualifiers.
:ge: - The weakest of the girlbops in this semi. It's already precarious to have three of them (Austria, Greece and Malta) make the final from the same semi. Georgia won't be a fourth.

Dead on arrival
:sm: - This is getting double digits in the semi thanks to Spain, but double digits won't be enough to reach a final.
:lv: - The vocals and song are giving Hozier, his face and draw are giving ET go home.
:cz: - the r/o is okay, but what really did Czechia in for me was adding a high note in the revamp when Aiko has already become synonymous with terminal vital capacity in my mind and that of many others. And she's on before Slimane too, to add further insult to injury.
:al: - falls fully within the Fairytale / World / Fall from the Shite wastescape of hopeless Albanian revamps that only Looren (and thankfully NOBODY ELSE) likes

Last edited:
Top Bottom