3 1.9%

12 7.4%

• Total voters

ESC United Mod Team

Super Moderator

flag-800.png

Last edited by a moderator:

ayzelto

Yup, all seemed to point towards her consecration with a Sanremo trophy and an entry with an ESC vibe. She was devastated at the final announcement. I think the battle between her and Angelina was won by the latter because of her stage presence and perhaps more elaborate lyrics, while Annalisa's were simpler and, as we know, the juries always keep an eye on lyrics at the cost of sacrificing a catchier tune. Anyway Annalisa can still try, perhaps teaming up with a man to rack up a bigger televote score.

She's been always criticised for being cold, static, now doing more commercial stuff at almost 40, before for doing ballads... it seems it's never enough, yet she keeps being composed and professional. She has shown great vocal abilities in a moment where too many rely on autotune and such, forbidden in ESC.
She could go for San Marino, win the NF and then win Eurovision. Where do I have to sign?

mup

She could go for San Marino, win the NF and then win Eurovision. Where do I have to sign?
Fans are pushing for her or Mahmood to compete under the Sammarinese flag. At this point, if it keeps happening every year with Sanremo non-winners, San Marino could rename itself Sanremino.

ayzelto

Fans are pushing for her or Mahmood to compete under the Sammarinese flag. At this point, if it keeps happening every year with Sanremo non-winners, San Marino could rename itself Sanremino.
I know, but they are both such big names to “downgrade” themselves to a cheap national final. In the meantime, I’ll keep dreaming. But the fact she is not going to ESC has been my 2024 Eurodrama.

mup

Many wanted her to represent Italy, the YT reactions to her song are ecstatic (well, unless they are fake to get subscriptions from fans on their channels). Yet she would have had to cut her song to comply with the 3 mins. rule.

ayzelto

Many wanted her to represent Italy, the YT reactions to her song are ecstatic (well, unless they are fake to get subscriptions from fans on their channels). Yet she would have had to cut her song to comply with the 3 mins. rule.
Just get rid of some quando quando and problem solved.

theditz83

Veteran
I genuinely love that Chanel's "Slo-Mo" is the new "Fuego" in terms of what EVERY SINGLE uptempo female-led bop is instantly compared to. :rolleyes:

This one still slaps hard - her shoulder pops in the performance and overall attitude and sass she exudes are just captivating. Hope they don't try to give her an overly choreographed stage show for Malmö as she shines when she's allowed to express what comes naturally.

mup

Just get rid of some quando quando and problem solved.
Btw it's not the first Sanremo song to rely on quando on repeat. Here's the 4th place of Sanremo 1962 (should have won for me), Quando Quando Quando, one of the most sold Italian songs in the world together with Modugno's Nel Blu Dipinto Di Blu (Volare).

Last edited:

empo21

Veteran
Yeah I don't see big artists going for San Marino.

Mahmood's single is a hit and his album is coming soon. He didn't win, but he's done good promo for his music.

Annalisa's song I just don't think would've done well but she has the potential to win San Remo one day.

astatine86

Ok, so I´ve been told many, many times that Italy doesn´t really care about Eurovision. San Remo has always been its own thing and just so happens that representing Italy at Eurovision is a bonus that can be accepted or refused. The thing that surprises me A LOT is how many comments under instagram posts from ITALIANS are about ESC. For example, I religiously follow trash_italiano which is followed by 4.5 million people. Most of the comments under posts about Sanremo are actually about how so and so would do at Eurovision. Especially Mahmood or Annalisa. Go figure. I know that it doesn't reflect the entire Italian society in its entirety, but it's very interesting and proves that Eurovision is, in fact, a thing in Italy.

Mainshow

Veteran
Ok, so I´ve been told many, many times that Italy doesn´t really care about Eurovision. San Remo has always been its own thing and just so happens that representing Italy at Eurovision is a bonus that can be accepted or refused. The thing that surprises me A LOT is how many comments under instagram posts from ITALIANS are about ESC. For example, I religiously follow trash_italiano which is followed by 4.5 million people. Most of the comments under posts about Sanremo are actually about how so and so would do at Eurovision. Especially Mahmood or Annalisa. Go figure. I know that it doesn't reflect the entire Italian society in its entirety, but it's very interesting and proves that Eurovision is, in fact, a thing in Italy.

I completely agree with you.
Also, the viewing figures of :it: have massively improved over the years. Usually, up to 5 million people watch Eurovision every day.
When Italy hosted the event, ESC got the highest viewing share for over 30 years! (26,4%).

That said, it's still not as big as in other Big 5 countries, e.g. :de: (usually, 40 to 50% audience share).

Also, if you compare Sanremo to ESC, it's even more "devastating". The question is... do we really expect all Sanremo viewers to watch Eurovision as well? I think that it's already a success that 4 to 5 million Italians decide to watch ESC.

Thus, Eurovision is not "unpopular" or "unknown" but the general public highly values Sanremo more.

mup

I think that the comments come from the ESC Italian community that has been developing in recent years. Sometimes I read comments replying to those saying "this song is too "sanremese", unfit for ESC" with phrases like "stop meddling into our festival with that" or "you are ruining Sanremo" things like that. The ESC community is vocal on social media but minoritarian in real life, the average Italian/casual viewer would still ask what's Eurovision.

rasmuslights

Veteran
I think that the comments come from the ESC Italian community that has been developing in recent years. Sometimes I read comments replying to those saying "this song is too "sanremese", unfit for ESC" with phrases like "stop meddling into our festival with that" or "you are ruining Sanremo" things like that. The ESC community is vocal on social media but minoritarian in real life, the average Italian/casual viewer would still ask what's Eurovision.

I know it's not popular among average Italians but lately, the viewership was rather high, especially when they hosted. So would they not even know about it? I can't imagine a European person not knowing what Eurovision is no matter how popular it is in respective countries.

mup

I know it's not popular among average Italians but lately, the viewership was rather high, especially when they hosted. So would they not even know about it? I can't imagine a European person not knowing what Eurovision is no matter how popular it is in respective countries.
Because the long withdrawal has erased the memory of ESC from various generations.

After sending our Sanremo winners from 1956 to 1966, since 1967 RAI started to send the winning singer but with a weaker, B-side song, sometimes not even the winning singer. Interest was already dwindling in the 1980s when Sanremo entered its second golden age and RAI started to withdraw one year or another, thus speeding up the oblivion process. Then, if I recall correctly, our 1997 participation was due to RAI even forgetting to send a withdrawal request, and as you know from 1998 it was all over. RAI had been doing everything in order not to win for all those years, even in 1990 when Italy won, RAI was so eager to get things finished asap they didn't even bother to send an Italian jury in Yugoslavia but asked some Croats to pose as our national jury, by this you can tell that interest in promoting ESC was below zero. Another proof is the fact that, in Turin in 2022 many didn't understand the influx of the ESC tourists that was about to come (bars closing when crowds of Eurofans approached - probably the owners thought they were coming from a wild rave party?? - Italians going to ESC arena dressed elegantly as if they believed to go in a theatre like Sanremo...) all these clues clarify that many people still did not know what ESC was, how many people were expected to come, how to approach the event.

The ESC audience nowadays is probably made up by middle-aged/elderly people who turn on the TV firmly set on channel 1 no matter what (on the grand final Saturday), or the younger generations and the ESC bubble. It's true that things have been improving so we can hope that, as time goes by, more generations will be acquainted with the existence of the contest, but it will take time.

Last edited:

sucof

I have to understand the mystery behind the publication of the Italian video on the official Eurovision YouTube website! every year days pass before it is published

Paco Roca

Because the long withdrawal has erased the memory of ESC from various generations.

After sending our Sanremo winners from 1956 to 1966, since 1967 RAI started to send the winning singer but with a weaker, B-side song, sometimes not even the winning singer. Interest was already dwindling in the 1980s when Sanremo entered its second golden age and RAI started to withdraw one year or another, thus speeding up the oblivion process. Then, if I recall correctly, our 1997 participation was due to RAI even forgetting to send a withdrawal request, and as you know from 1998 it was all over. RAI had been doing everything in order not to win for all those years, even in 1990 when Italy won, RAI was so eager to get things finished asap they didn't even bother to send an Italian jury in Yugoslavia but asked some Croats to pose as our national jury, by this you can tell that interest in promoting ESC was below zero. Another proof is the fact that, in Turin in 2022 many didn't understand the influx of the ESC tourists that was about to come (bars closing when crowds of Eurofans approached - probably the owners thought they were coming from a wild rave party?? - Italians going to ESC arena dressed elegantly as if they believed to go in a theatre like Sanremo...) all these clues clarify that many people still did not know what ESC was, how many people were expected to come, how to approach the event.

The ESC audience nowadays is probably made up by middle-aged/elderly people who turn on the TV firmly set on channel 1 no matter what (on the grand final Saturday), or the younger generations and the ESC bubble. It's true that things have been improving so we can hope that, as time goes by, more generations will be acquainted with the existence of the contest, but it will take time.
Here you can see the foresight of Amadeus who focused on young people and on sounds that have never or rarely entered Sanremo. When a young person, like Måneskin and Angelina, win and go to the ESC, the new generations know about the European festival and will become passionate about it.

However I listened to the Sanremo 2024 Spotify album. Oh my Gad! It's spectacular. It looks like a "Best Of". In fact, if we think about it, the Sanremo festival is just the tip of the iceberg of a harsh internal pre-selection.

Connecting to the issue of Italian interest, I believe that it is difficult to maintain high interest in the ESC for another reason. The Sanremo festival which is the father of all festivals, including the ESC, is a cumbersome presence. Sanremo will always come first. Then you add the talent shows which are... like many NF Eurovisions, they are a reservoir for Sanremo and capture the public's interest (Måneskin come from the talent shows). We will see an increase but for Italians ESC will always be second to Sanremo and to the Spotify Italy and Global rankings. Some of it is beautiful. Italy will always bring itself to the ESC without falling into Pop or singing in English.

On Angelina Mango, I believe that the juries chose her instead of Mahmood for two reasons: the first is that Mahmood will have to face several concerts and commitments before the ESC; second, Italy wants to bring out other deserving talents even at the cost of taking risks. By now Mahmood can be said, like Måneskin, destined for the musical Olympus. This is interesting because we won't see "repeaters" like in Melodifestivalen, always the same artists using their festival and the European one to stay on top of the wave. An artist from Sanremo reached his fanbase and concerts he can go to Sanremo for honor but he can live without that.

I hope that the Benidorm-Sanremo alliance can improve the Spanish festival and Italy so it can gain a market share thanks to us. Several collaborations between Italian and Spanish artists are already starting.

nudiecrudi

The economic newspaper Forbes has calculated that Sanremo has had an immediate impact of 205 million €, without calculating the economic impact of sellings and tours in the days to come.

ag89

Things turned upside down for Italy in 2015 when it killed in televote and still didn't win. Il Volo brought new viewers and in 2015 ESC became somehow mainstream in Italy.

Paco Roca

Many famous artists in Sanremo make the competition beautiful and qualitative but the downside is that each of them has loyal and extremist fandoms (Tananai's fans, for example, proudly call themselves "the otters") ready to go to war if their idol loses. I was reading the reactions on FB and YT and many Italians are bashing Angelina. They are trying to use a thousand excuses to denigrate her. One of them said that Angelina and Durdust plagiarized Adriano Celentano :ROFLMAO:

It's Cumbia! The composition can change some elements and add various nuances but Cumbia is a traditional genre. It always sounds that way like Flamenco or Polka, so to speak.

Top Bottom