16 9.3%

54 31.4%

• Total voters

escYOUnited

Administrator
France-scaled.jpg

HayashiM

Veteran
Yes, it was popular... 20 YEARS AGO. You're stating the problem and you don't even seem to understand it.
The music industry has changed over the past two decades. I don't think 'Aimer' would have been a hit if it was released today. People are over vanilla songs.
Why should it work at Eurovision ?

I think the "lol" at the end of the sentence kinda gives it away that FRFanESC in fact understands the problem very well... :)

Marvelous

I've never been as trashy with our country as before (wasn't even that mad seeing France choosing Lisa Angell :) ), but I just want us to finish as low as possible with the least amount of points ever, so that we could have our HoD finally understand, that a contest isn't about sending songs in English, which will appeal to a broader audience.

And the fact that it's a Swedish product makes everything worse. What were they thinking ?

DirtyFalcon

I think this is more like a jury song. I think it can surprise at the juries with great staging and save France from a catastrophic result. I predict 10th - 15th place at the juries and 23-26th place at the televote. Final ranking = between 16th and 21st place

Edweis

WorldVision Mod
Staff member
I think people are exagerating because :
- it's France and y'all were expecting a french touch as usual.
- the song was composed by Sweden.
- Frenglish.
- DE isn't here anymore.
- french delegation overhyped it a lot.

Indeed, more than the song in itself - to which I don't have much bad things to say besides being flat, uninspired and flavorless - that's why I'm so annoyed right now. Our HoD sold it like the second coming, they should know better than be overconfident.
I wonder what face she's making right now. I hope Tom Leeb isn't reading the reactions because it could disturb him for tonight.

John1

Indeed, more than the song in itself - to which I don't have much bad things to say besides being flat, uninspired and flavorless - that's why I'm so annoyed right now. Our HoD sold it like the second coming, they should know better than be overconfident.
I wonder what face she's making right now. I hope Tom Leeb isn't reading the reactions because it could disturb him for tonight.

I knew right from the start that our new HoD wouldn't be as talented when it comes to picking songs out as Edoardo Grassi (yes, him) and Steven Clerima.

FRFanESC

I'm listening to the song again and again and actually I think I like it (don't hate me) but I also liked "Bigger than us" last year so...😂 I do think the staging could make it go from a "cheesy" to a "whaouh" but sadly we're not good to stage our songs.

Daybreak

Yeah, let's not get too carried away with hating on the song but I can understand where this is coming from, this song hits several common points that can spark this reaction:

- it's mostly written by Swedish/Melodifestivalen types and it shows, it has the same too generic, formulaic sound and (I think someone already mentioned something like that) some of its elements sound like right out of a filler Backstreet Boys song from the turn of the century (I'm really getting the feeling that G:son is emulating successful earlier Swedish songwriters like Max Martin and Denniz PoP, right down to their hairstyle :LOL:). It's not necessarily a bad thing, but you know, it has been 20 years and you can innovate that sound a little (Martin himself writes fairly different songs now), and so...
- it comes off as dated for a lot of people which can make it come off as even more cliche, and then there are...
- high or at least different expectations of fans, which often create unjustified bias. I mean, this currently is the initial reaction, Spain got a similar one as far as I noticed and I would imagine after some time people will get used to the song. But this is going to have a hard time becoming the standout entry for people (including casual viewers), more like "it's decent" or "just there" kind of a song, which is the reaction you don't want to get when you're big 5 and already likely to be overlooked.

From my own experience I can comment that this feels very much like a song written by committee; it has like six people among its writers and writing teams/collaborations usually work when people are used to working together, or with smaller groups. I imagine some of them didn't even meet the others and worked separately. It feels like an engineered-for-Eurovision entry not unlike what the UK sends, without the enthusiasm, bloated budget and slight propaganda angle that makes Russia's or Azerbaijan's attempts at this work.

Last edited:

Uto

Veteran
Even Twin Twin was better and I don't care about what y'all are going to say.
Saw Twin Twin live in Amsterdam that year at Eurovision in Concert as they proceeded to set fire to the place. That song was quite enjoyable, never a problem to send something like that.

Edweis

WorldVision Mod
Staff member
édit : By the way I can't understand why they didn't go for a bop after our results at the JESC, it's obvious that we needed that to slay the stage in may.
I was so sure they went for a nice little uptempo song after our 2 good results in JESC with them. Even when it was announced it would be an internal selection, they did choose Amir this way after all.

I liked Bigger Than Us last year. Maybe because Michael Rice's voice was more enjoyable for me.

John1

Saw Twin Twin live in Amsterdam that year at Eurovision in Concert as they proceeded to set fire to the place. That song was quite enjoyable, never a problem to send something like that.

Ikr. They came last because of the running order and solely on this basis.

Mainshow

Veteran
Seriously, can't any French OGAE members select a few comments from this forum, FB, twitter, make screenshots and send them to the French delegation?!

It's not too late to change the entry until March! - as long as you haven't paid G:son and Lundvik yet.

HayashiM

Veteran
Seriously, can't any French OGAE members select a few comments from this forum, FB, twitter, make screenshots and send them to the French delegation?!

It's not too late to change the entry until March! - as long as you haven't paid G:son and Lundvik yet.
Even if they already had - it's useless to dwell on sunk costs. I am pretty sure every other contestant from last year's DE has something better than this in their drawer, needing a touch or two and ready to go.

FilipFromSweden

sorry for being so out of tune but did the song leak or something? I wanna hear it!!!

FRFanESC

What if The Best In Me is not the entry chosen by France? and i oop-
So cute ! 😂

I already did, I sent her Citelis comments, she said she wasn't surprised that everyone loves it. 😂

Top Bottom