Contact us

Things we have yet to see in an ESC entry....

tuorem

Or an acapella song. Not like Belgium 2011, just one person singing without music during 3 mins :)

zoyuxi

Or an acapella song. Not like Belgium 2011, just one person singing without music during 3 mins :)

YES YES YES I'm a sucker for anything a cappella, including this. It'd feel like a more intimate performance setting, just that person's voice. The audience quiet until the end of the song.

also
- overtone singing (singing 2 notes at once)

zoyuxi

A choral entry.

Ooh, following on OP's mention of an operatic bass singer, how about a basso profondo singer? As the soloist? :idea:

popavapeur

[MENTION=14124]Carrie[/MENTION] Kpop is particularly inventive since they work by themes : a song has its own choreography, its own outfits and visuals. And catchiness is privileged. A solid group with good vocals would be innovative on an ESC stage, but what kind of country would have that idea? :? I'm wondering.

It is funny and strange that we never see a kpop inspired music yet in Europe or USA (and ESC of course). The "recipe" of a kpop group is not hard to make even if i'm not sure if people here will receive the fun of kpop as a fan of kpop did. Buuuut there are some songs who really fit the contest (Dream Girl - SHINee, Kill Bill - Brown Eyed Girls, every T-ara songs). The big problem is : strong vocals and a good choreography at the same time (so we expect many members (6), but many members = no back singers) the only bands who manage all these "problems" are "old" bands with a lot of experience (Girls'Generation) so hard to make for ESC. We can create 6 Carola (from 1991), they could jump, dance and sing at the same time.

tuorem

[MENTION=14282]popavapeur[/MENTION] Yes, Kpop is a particular concept: overall we're not that fond of groups in Europe and we're much less creative when it comes to the "whole package" I was talking about in the post you quoted. Indeed, since Kpop is all about catchiness, fun and visuals, I guess it would be nice to see something in the like someday.

There could be about 3/4 members and 2 backing singers. You don't have to do a headstand or somersaults to have an effective choreo, quite often simple moves are enough. But let's be honest, it's very unlikely to see an actual Kpop group or a Kpop-inspired one at Eurovision. :(

popavapeur

[MENTION=9195]tuorem[/MENTION]
I think, when countries will forget their egos and will be open to learn from others we'll see a kpop lookalike band in europe. Because the songs are not all "asian" : they're made by scandinavians and americans sometimes (I'm thinking about a Norwegian agency). We have a lot of graphic designers to make the whole package bankable… and the goal in these songs is to be catchy at first listen (Results of the hundred bands who make a debut during the year, you have to catch people very quickly) so that's perfect for ESC.

Only a dream haha!

tuorem

[MENTION=14282]popavapeur[/MENTION]
Yes, I know all of that. I meant the concept itself (catchy song with a theme, choreos, outfits, scenery, etc.) is particularly common in Korea, compared to Europe. I know a lot of Swedes write songs for them (like for many American singers), so yeah, there is nothing "Korean-sounding" most of the time (apart from the language). But it's refreshing to me, I respect them because their music scene is very active, modern and creative: the contrary of the French music scene actually.

Fluke

We haven't seen a non-English entry translated with subtitles, shown either on the screen or superimposed on the broadcast....

We haven't seen an entry involving (on stage) or concerning the sauna, something that would surely be popular with us Nordics if it was attempted....

Pretty sure we never had a female rapper, or have we?

Milos-BC

Matt

Admin Schmadmin
Staff member
Triplets, we never had triplets on stage, right? There must be a trio out there that can also sing.

SpZ

We haven't seen a non-English entry translated with subtitles, shown either on the screen or superimposed on the broadcast....

I am quite sure they do it for all songs in Estonia and Finland.

Fluke

We had one here

Yeah, and it was the first ever rap entry too, i didn't remember the female member rapping. There hasn't been one since though.

We haven't had a romantic male duet or a explicitly male-to-male love song, but we had the lesbian equivalent of the latter in 2013 with "Marry Me", and kind of the former with t.A.T.u. in 2003.

Kaz

It's very unlikely, but I would say a kpop group. I'm wondering how it would fare at Eurovision (with outfits, choreography and stuff).

We almost had Dolly Style :lol:

tuorem

We almost had Dolly Style :lol:

Dolly Style was no K-pop material, t'was more an old schlager to me :lol: Even though several K-pop songs are written or co-written by Swedes, it didn't sound and looked like them.
I won't tell you what I really think about that entry though :mrgreen: I'm not into raw talk today! As I said, if we were to see a K-pop inspired song in Eurovision, it should be made by people who know what it's like, travesties are often dull. :)

Fluke

We've never seen an entry featuring the oud, at least not on stage.... or maybe there's been one long ago? From Greece perhaps?

We've never heard an entry done entirely in "chiptune" style, though there's been some with hints of it, "Opa", "Baila Chiki Chiki", "Igranka" and "Woki mit deim Popo" among others.

Top Bottom