Contact us

Your home town

TF100

We had a thread like this on the old forum that was nice to read through, it's interesting to find out about towns you've probably never heard of, as a lot of people here don't live in the capital city of their country :D So this thread can be a place to introduce a bit about your home town, whereabouts in the country it is, its landmarks, what there is to do there, and so on...

TF100

So the place that I've lived for many years now is called Cricklade, and it's located in the south-west of England, near to the border with Wales, and between the big cities Bristol and Oxford. It's in a county called Wiltshire.

Cricklade's a very small town, there's only about 4,000 people living here, but it is actually quite popular with tourists as not only is it located in a very scenic part of the countryside but we also have a very rare flower that grows here more than any other place, called the Snake's Head Fritillary...

Snakes-head-fritillaries-L-jpg-by-Gaia-Images-qpps_423563622120146.LG.jpg

Cricklade is pretty renowned amongst people who are into botany for that reason :lol: other than that, Cricklade is mostly a town that has already peaked :( it was a very important settlement in the first century AD, but ever since then has become more and more marginalised as the towns around it grow and it remains small... At the start of the 1900s, Cricklade had its parliamentary constituency taken away from it, and in the 1970s they closed down our railway station too, so now we are pretty unimportant and cut off! :?

Overall I'd say I like Cricklade but it's not the best place to spend more than a few years in as there's not really that much to do in this part of the country. It's good for a visit if you like places that are quiet and pretty, though :D

TF100

94ayd said:
I live in Sofia. :roll:

Well you can still tell us some things that are perhaps not so well known to people who don't live there, how do you think it compares to other capital cities, and so on ... :)

Alexu

My home town is called Onesti, a small city from Bacau county, located in the eastern part of Romania. The city is the home town of Nadia Comaneci and some other Romanian personalities. Onesti is not a big city, but a clean and beautiful one with nice people in it.

5013.JPG

308en.jpg

563_onesti.jpg

bibliotecaonesti.jpg

Onesti-martie%2B2008,%2Bcu%2BEmiliana%2B006.jpg

4.jpg

e95523a16243b3de409fbc2281964e28.jpg

susss.jpg

No Name

Currently I'm living in a small city called Hørsholm, with a plain population of roughly 33.000. It's located on the northern part of Zealand, and furthermore it's located with a relative short distance to Copenhagen. It's frequently considered one of Copenhagen's rich suburbs. That's at least how the city is stereotyped.

It's by no means an exciting city, but we've got what is needed in order to call it a city.

Anyway, some pics of the main street of Hørsholm:

horsholm_udefra.jpg

arriva1435_hoersholmmidtpunkt.jpg

The library:

facade_s.jpg

Our swimming bath:

Svommehal1.jpg

Our old mill :lol: :

m21ta.jpg

Oh, and we have a church as well:

IMG_2877.jpg

aletem

In Canada, my home town is called Oshawa. Some people call it like a suburb of Toronto (it is 30 minute drive to a highway), but it has 150,000 people (more than most of the cities in Macedonia :lol: ). There is nothing much to see in this place. Everything looks pretty much the same. If you go there for a first time, you could easily get lost (even with a map). :lol: That is due to the fact there are a lot of houses (many look the same) and there are few tall buildings. The city has an access to lake Ontario. Near the lake, there are many fields for soccer, baseball and rugby (so people can play there for fun, or play in the local leagues).

This is the General Motors Centre. It is a place where hockey games are played (usually local ones or Ontario based league). One of the first games in the arena was between the young squads of Canada and Russia. Some basketball games get to be played there and the arena is also reserved for concerts. This year Akon had a concert there.
oshawa615.JPG

Bellow is the library in UOIT (University of Ontario Institute of Technology). Despite a college, Oshawa also has a university. This place is 15 minutes walking distance from my home, though I do not go there. :lol:
11234_3_UOIT%20library%20pond.jpg

I also have another home town, Ottawa. :lol: It is the place where I attend university, so being there for four years does make it a second home. And I love the place, because it reminds me of Skopje. :D
As you know, Ottawa is the capital city of Canada. There is a lot of interesting things about Ottawa. It is located in easternmost Ontario and it borders Quebec. There is a suburb of Ottawa that is part of Quebec and it is called Gatineau (though it is counted as a separate city). It is a typical party place for all freshmen (18 year old kids who want to smoke and drink in their first year of college/university :mrgreen: ). Only in Quebec the drinking/smoking limit is 18+, while in the other provinces is 19+.
During the winter (usually January-February), you can skate on the canal. It is one of the biggest naturally frozen skating places in the world. You can also go visit the Parliament Hill, as a nice attraction. Also, close by is the ByWard Market. This place reminds me much of the Market/bazaars in Skopje. :mrgreen: You can buy lot of fruits and vegetables there, honey, there are also stores where you can buy cheese (variety of feta cheese, and many different types of cheese). You can also buy some suveniers over there. Around, there are a lot of cafe's, night clubs, also some strip bars. :mrgreen: Every may, there is a festival going on in Ottawa called "Canadian Tulip Festival". This festival is accompanied by an International Pavillion that features food, culture, arts, music from more than 20 different countries. This festival goes for about 20 days.

Some nice pictures from Ottawa:

This one is the Parliament Hill! :mrgreen:
OttawaTourism_ott-changingtheguard_sm.jpg

Here on this picture you can see the Rideau Canal during the winter. A perfect place to skate. :mrgreen:
Skating-on-the-Rideau-Canal.JPG

In Ottawa there is something called O-train. :mrgreen: It goes through 5 stations and it is really nice if you go to university (and live somewhere close to the stations) and you want to skip traffic. This picture is actually shot near by my university.
OTrain6.JPG

Not to forget, there are 2 universities in Ottawa: Carleton University and University of Ottawa (the latter being larger in terms of more buildings and more students, the first one is much nicer :mrgreen: ). Also there is one college called Algonquin.

The only not so good thing about Ottawa, is the cold weather in the winter. The temperature easily goes bellow -20 Celsius degrees in January and February. Also, Ottawa is a windy place. If sometimes the temperature happens to be -15, it will feel like -30. :? :twisted: The urbanization plan of the city also affects that, as wind prevailance can make you catch a cold.

AlekS

Veteran
I live in the Southern Ukraine in Mykolaiv (Russian name: Nickolaev).
Population: 510 000 (more than half of our administrative district, aka "oblast' " :lol: ).
It's situated on 2 rivers that collide and form a bay (half-sea, half-river).
We have: the 2nd biggest aluminia plant in the world
- the biggest European military shooting range (or firing field)
- the biggest granary in the world :shock:
- 1 airport, 1 military airport (and a lot of radars behind the city), 2 sea ports.
- 2 big shipbuilding plants that build ALL types of ships.
- 2 big bridges and few small bridges (incl. for people only).
- 2nd biggest Ukrainian zoo.
- numerous factories and firms obviously, I won't remember them all, lol.

Central area of the city:
foto_112.jpg

Southern area:
0g.jpg

Climate: usual official highest peaks: +45*C at summer and -25*C at winter (it's already been -23*C 2 weeks ago), sometimes it's hotter or colder (just on few days though). It's windy (kinda usual thing for a city on the bay which is not defended by forests or mountains, I've seen even few little tornadoes (but that's REALLY rare).
1 big earthquake (more than 4 points, Richter scale) per 5 years. Not a dangerous seismic zone like Yalta (Crimea, Ukraine) or Bucharest (Romania) for instance.

0d.jpg

0f.jpg

Sports: On 2004 Olympics almost half of medalists were born or trained in my city (constantly or temporary) :lol: We have a base for canoe/kayak, yacht-club, boxing base (we've just hosted European Female Boxing Championship in September of 2009), basketball arena, the Central stadium (capacity: 25 000) and 1 smaller stadium, 3 modern swimming pools, 1 skating rink.
Our women's fencing team is the most famous probably. They are current Olympic, World and European champions. The captain of the team was announced the sportsman of the year in Ukraine (2009).
In the building in front me lives former Olympic champion (trampoline), in the other building in front of me the captain of our basketball team.

Right now Central Stadium is on renovation (in order to meet European standards) so this is how it looked before:
62_1.jpg

Music: Popular Soviet singer Alexander Serov (Soviet Tom Jones) was born here among with Russian singer Nikolay Troobach, not to mention the 1st Ukrainian rap band, one former singer from VIA-GRA, Gorchitza Live Project band (quite famous Ukrainian electro band that recorded a duo with Apollo 440) , the most famous Russian composers Igor' Krutoy and Konstantin Meladze (who write for almost ALL famous ex-Soviet performers -> from Alla Pugatchova & Sofia Rotaru to VIA-GRA, Ani Lorak and Verka), famous Russian singer Valeriy Meladze studied/worked here.
Kostya Meladze produced 3rd Ukrainain "Star Factory". He composed Russian ESC 2009 entry.
Nastya Kamenskih from Potap & Nastya band has a bf from my city so she visits us quite often, she knows almost everything here, basically it's her 2nd home )))
Another Soviet icon Lyudmila Senchina was born near my city.

17620020.jpg

18285826.jpg

24181486.jpg

Northern bridge:
northern_bridge.jpg

11279030.jpg
14489049.jpg

Western bridge:
western_bridge.jpg

ithanspain

Here I go ;)

I live in Girona at the north east of Spain at the region of Catalonia and it's the capital of the province (department) of the same name. From the north 95km far from Barcelona. The city should be called officially Girona but you could heard it as Gerona in spanish or Gérone in french. As well Gerunda in latin when was founded by romans.

mapvxiw2p.jpg

At 2009 Girona has a population of 96.188 inhabitants with a metropolitan area of more or less 130.000 inhabitants.
It's divided by four rivers, Ter , Güell, Oñar and Galligants.
Girona has a lot of history and settle of a noble city which was an important place for Crown of Aragon which gives it the title of Principality and the Prince of Girona was named to be the Queen of Aragón Crown.

Houses above Oñar's river.

Nowadays the Prince of Girona is Felipe de Borbón, cause as named for be King of Spain is named for be as well Queen of the Crown of Aragón. Also he is Prince of Asturias for the Crown of Castilie.

One of the main atractions of turists in Girona is The Cathedral of Santa Maria. It's build in gothic estyle and has the significant point that it's nave is the largest in gothic style and the 2nd in all styles after Saint Peter Basilica in Vatican City.

Cathedral of Girona

However overall the the Old Town is the most beautiful parto of the Town. It has some churches moreover than the Cathedral. Like the Church of the Great Heart, Saint Peter of Galligants or Saint Felix that is the collegiate of the Cathedral.

Church of the Great Heart

The romanic Churhc of Saint Peter of Galligants

The collegiate of Saint Felix with the Cathedral

Furthermore Girona inside its Old Town has one of the most important Jewish quarters of Europe.

Pujada de Sant Doménech, which is the entrance to Jewish Quarter

Garden of a Jewish house

Arabian Baths

Girona has its metropolitan service of Bus. And has its Bus and Train Station at the centre of the city which are in progress of been renovated for the arrive of The High Speed Rail Way (AVE). Also not more than 15km far at the south of Girona is the international Airport of Girona-Costa Brava which conects the region whichs many cities of Europe and north of Africa.

And now some of the modern city. As I think all the capital cities in Spain, Girona has its own University, (Universitat de Girona "UdG")

Scool of Law

A modern building near the train station

Teixidor Fluor Mill seat of the Newspapaer "El Punt"

Migdia Park

A view of Girona from the south(first the industrial zone)

Finally if you decide to visit Girona here you can see the Airport. Not as big as Barcelona-El Prat but at 2009 has been the 8th Spanish Airport by number of passanger with a total number of 5.300.000 aprox. An it's in constantly construction and renovation cause the number passengers is growing very fast since Ryanair based here.

Air view of Girona-Costa Brava Airport, you can see the work construction usually since many years.

Hope you like it!!! ;)

Manchester :D

Manchester has population of 464200 and was founded in the 1st century by the Romans.
2547700 live in Greater Manchester county.

This is Victoria station which was built in 1839. This is where trains to the Northern suburbs (where i live ;) ) terminate.
800px-Manchester_Victoria_station.jpg

Manchester%20Victoria%20L&Y%20map.jpg

Opposite is URBIS (the city life museum), the Cathedral and Cathedral Gardens.
7_cath_gdns_night.jpg

60707825_a573bb27ba.jpg

Then Exchange Square with the Wheel and Triangle Shopping Centre.
ExchangeSquareManchester.jpg

And this is the Post Box that survived the 1999 IRA bomb.
manchester-postboxes.jpg

This is the Arndale Centre where I go shopping regularly! :D
leopard_premiere_manchester_arndale_uk.jpg

Piccadilly Gardens
overall_development.jpg

And Piccadilly station where the trains to London terminate.
pendolino.JPG

There is also the old Roman area called Castlefield however it is a replica because the orginal one was knocked down in the 1800's :x .
128882_e4bf1098.jpg

In between, there is the Gay Quarter. :D
3232412984_076374e779.jpg

COULDN'T RESIST!

Beetham Tower.
132BeethamTowerManchester_pic2.jpg

Albert Square and Town Hall.
albertmarket.jpg

St. Peter's Square and City Library.
0408_metrolink_saint_peters_square.jpg

Manchester Central.
Manchester%20Central%20-%20002.jpg

Concorde G-BOAC @ Manchester Airport.
011563_5d4af318.jpg

9770.jpg

Manchester United FC ;) .
old_trafford.jpg

Manchester City FC.
C_71_article_1065716_image_list_image_list_item_0_image.jpg

Salford Quays.
manchester_salford_quays.jpg

ithanspain

Yesterday we live in Catalonia (Spain) the most important snow we remember in more than 20 years. It was snowing with a lot of intensity during more than 12 hours. The most important ways to France have been colapsed since this morning and Barcelona road were empty of cars abondoned by after their owners had spend hours in the same postion trying to leave the city.

Here some photos of Girona in white ;)
Probably this photo were taken at the morning or afternoon but it had been snowing until 21:00 hours

Miquel Santaló Square

Rambles of Girona

The stone's bridge at the Old Town of Girona

Girona's streets

Girona inspires me LOVE

Onyar's River and Old Town

The bikes :lol:

Girona's streets

A beautiful photo for desktop :p

Finally a photo of Catalonia snowed by satellite

SEE YOU!!!!! ;)

AlekS

Veteran
^ cool! :mrgreen: :)
seeing such weather in Catalonia, in March is definitely outstanding :D
We're having snow too here on the South, it's -10*C currently ))) probably the same amount though it's considered a small amount here. I like snow :D

Matt

Admin Schmadmin
Staff member
A few pictures from Orlando, FL

orlando_florida_skyline.bmp

This is Lake Eola. YOu can find me there at least 3 times a week jogging my ass of. IT's a beautiful place though.

universal-city-walk-orlando3.jpg

This is City Walk which is part of Universal Studios. That's where you go if you want to hit the bars and just have a good time.

orlando-city-guide-ga-12d.jpg

Downtown Disney is always a good place to go, I especially recommend cirque du soleil.

Those are some of my favorite places in orlando.

ithanspain

AlekS said:
^ cool! :mrgreen: :)
seeing such weather in Catalonia, in March is definitely outstanding :D
We're having snow too here on the South, it's -10*C currently ))) probably the same amount though it's considered a small amount here. I like snow :D

^I like snow too, but when all streets are empty of snow, schools have to close. When the snow brokes 32 towers of electricity and people have beeing more than 36 hours without electricity and mobile phones doesn't go well. I couldn't fund my mum :(
Yesterday my mum go to work at the school but after a few hours she came back home, after she arrived the road for she arrived get colapsed of snow and cars and was closed.
Yesterday and today all schools have beeing closed and my mum also hasn't work :mrgreen: .

I get in panic when after 10 hours of snowing it seemed that it won't change it. We all know this is nothing according what snows in eastern and northern countries but here we are not prepared to it.
We don't have many snowplow. For example 100 members of militay force have arrived to help us.

Blush

A little town in Transilvania

-the name of the city come from an ancient word "dava" meaning "fortress"
- it was a Dacian fortress in ancient times,called Dacidava
-The Fortress is located on a top of a volcanic hill
-the home of Romania's national women gymnastics training centre, "Cetate Deva"

deva01.jpg

deva02.jpg

4522098.5b12adda.500.jpg

deva%20m.jpg

salaDEVA.jp.jpg

1002651_poza_1188781314.jpg

6942500_01-14254.jpg

4522094.1f42f6a9.560.jpg

dev.jpg

LadyKiller

Banned
Here are some photos of Thessaloniki. It's not my home town but it's the city I currently live in.
Thessaloniki is the second largest Greek city and the capital of the region of Macedonia. It is sometimes referred as co-capital (if there is such a term) of Greece. This "honour" was attributed due to the important role the city held as part of the Byzantine Empire. This is the reason for the numerous Byzantine monuments that can be found across the city. The population, including the suburbs, reaches 1.000.000. The city was founded around 315 BC by Kassandros, King of Macedon. He was married to the sister of Alexander the Great, Thessaloniki, so he named the city after her (how romantic.. :mrgreen: ).

The most distinctive monument of Thessaloniki is the not so white "White Tower". Actually it used to be a jail during the Ottoman rule but when we got control of the city again in early 20th century, we washed it white.

Another important monument is the statue of Alexander the Great:

This is an aerial view of the most important square of the city, Aristotle Square:

The square inspired a great Absolut ad:

The motto of the city is "Halara" which means smoothly. People here in Thessaloniki have their own way of dealing with things, they are usually relaxed and cool. If they feel like it, they grab a frappe' (iced coffee) and go by the seaside to have some precious smooth moments :cool: (or sometimes hours :mrgreen: ) This is one of the reasons I love this city. I put my sneakers on, I take my ipod and off to the seaside. It is about 2 hours of "smooth" walk to go from one part to the other or 1 hour of jogging if you prefer. Sometimes in the evening my friends and I grab a couple of beers and sit by the seaside talking by the hours "philosophizing" about life and love.

All the above monuments and many more can be seen by simply crossing the seaside.

Finally, here are some aerial photos of the city:

There are hundreds of songs written for this city, more than any other greek city. I hope I have given you an idea about why this is happening.

Blush

Salonic is indeed a nice city. We went in Greece 2 years ago on holiday and visited Thessaloniki too. We were all like " ok ,im going to move here". very nice !!

LadyKiller

Banned
Blush said:
Salonic is indeed a nice city. We went in Greece 2 years ago on holiday and visited Thessaloniki too. We were all like " ok ,im going to move here". very nice !!

Ha! This is exactly what I said when I visited Bra?ov a couple of years ago. I've only said this for Bra?ov and Edinburgh. I also have a feeling that I am going to say this for Bruges which i plan to visit. As you can understand, Thessaloniki is indeed a beautiful city but I'd prefer a town or at least a smaller city to live in. :)

LadyKiller

Banned
^ Thank you for your kind words.:)
Why don't you tell us something about Birmingham? It's more interesting to find out things about a place from someone who lives there than seeking information on the internet.

Top Bottom