6 3.6%

16 9.6%

• Total voters

ESC United Mod Team

Super Moderator

flag-800.png

Last edited by a moderator:

ViVillRejv

Europe was not ready for this performance and still has Internalized Homophobia to deal with (No one bats an eye over Chanel's naked ass, Silia Kapsis showing busty cleavage in her music video or, say, Albania's sexed-up choreo between two women in 2022 but GOD FORBID we have shirtless masculine men on stage 🙄🙄).

This entry was ahead of its time.

SAYAY

I loved Olly and his song and performance and staging and everything, I just want everyone from UK to know that (I am still listening to it) xrosexheart

Rocket man

Europe was not ready for this performance and still has Internalized Homophobia to deal with (No one bats an eye over Chanel's naked ass, Silia Kapsis showing busty cleavage in her music video or, say, Albania's sexed-up choreo between two women in 2022 but GOD FORBID we have shirtless masculine men on stage 🙄🙄).

For sure. Hopefully the Eurovision audience can catch up one day and realise gay male artists can be sexual too with other men in their art if they want to be.

Artists like Lil Nas X and Troye Silvan can do it and Olly Alexander decided to do it at Eurovision too. I really believe Eurovision needs to move away from being exclusively a "family show," I think it is holding it back.

Lumina

Eurovision has always been a family show and that will not change! Why should it? It’s the largest music event in the world, watched by millions of people, why should they make the circle of potential viewers smaller?

Get over the fact most people didn’t like the overall too sexual performance!
He hasn’t been the first one criticized for that. Ronela‘s performance (Albania) faced heavy criticism for it and as a result she NQ'ed. People don’t want to see it and it’s perfectly fine. You can watch other shows if you would like to see sexual dances.

Franzilein

Eh, if we switched it to heterosexuals, people would be just as appalled. The comment section under the YouTube video is a pure goldmine, Brits taking the piss out of their entry. I think my favourite was "To think they thought cottaging in the gutter would be a good staging concept" (or something like that), and I really have to agree. On top of the oversexualized performance, why did everything have to be so freaking dirty?

And no, Eurovision should stay a family-friendly show no matter what. Some of my fondest childhood memories is watching the show at my grandmother's house with literally everyone gathering together there (parents, siblings, uncles, aunts, cousins etc.), wouldn't want to take that from future generations xlove

ItsJaden

I'm pretty sure all gay (and probably straight) men and women and everything in between love some hot naked men on stage. I As a very gay dude myself would pay good money for it, but the Olly show was just super a outdated view of gay sexuality and it was totally off putting. I actually switched channels for a minute or 2.

The idea of staging was great, the actual performance absolutely cringe

HarryUK

Veteran
The beauty of the phrase internalised homophobia is lost on so many.

You don’t know you do it, you perhaps deny that you do it, but that doesn’t mean you’re not doing it.

jatojo

I'm pretty sure all gay (and probably straight) men and women and everything in between love some hot naked men on stage. I As a very gay dude myself would pay good money for it, but the Olly show was just super a outdated view of gay sexuality and it was totally off putting. I actually switched channels for a minute or 2.

The idea of staging was great, the actual performance absolutely cringe
Yes, it was like it tried to compete with Ireland about being most goth ... :LOL:

To me, the staging was quite Benidorm-ish, and I think Benidorm has become way too much a sort of epi-center for flamboyance (to use a relatively neutral word).

ItsJaden

The beauty of the phrase internalised homophobia is lost on so many.

You don’t know you do it, you perhaps deny that you do it, but that doesn’t mean you’re not doing it.

it's also the most vague description you can give and it can be applied to basically anything and everything.

HarryUK

Veteran
it's also the most vague description you can give and it can be applied to basically anything and everything.
It’s also not up to straight people to define it. It’s discrimination against the LGBT+ community, to add.

It’s as vague as the vagueness of people’s unconscious homophobic tendencies

MopManMoss

Veteran
It’s also not up to straight people to define it. It’s discrimination against the LGBT+ community, to add.

It’s as vague as the vagueness of people’s unconscious homophobic tendencies
I just don't like sexual performances at Eurovision regardless of the sexuality involved I don't see how that is internalised homophobia, I am one of the biggest haters of slo mo of all time plenty of evidence on the forum for that

HarryUK

Veteran
I just don't like sexual performances at Eurovision regardless of the sexuality involved I don't see how that is internalised homophobia, I am one of the biggest haters of slo mo of all time plenty of evidence on the forum for that
Prude!!!!! Embrace the nudity

Leydan

Worldvision Mod
Staff member
Ordinarily I am not a prude at all I don't know why I'm bothered about overly sexual stuff at Eurovision to be honest

Maybe because you think of it as a family show, idk. I had a discussion about Eurovision being a family show with my step dad a few weeks ago that got somewhat heated. The argument revolving around the overtly sexualised performances and the jokes/references made throughout the rest of the show.

Top Bottom