4 2.8%

9 6.3%

• Total voters

ESC United Mod Team

Super Moderator

flag-800.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Lance Esgard

I feel this live version feels stronger overall, but the spoken word part here felt weaker, it almost sounded like he gave up midway through and even when he did it, it didn't sound all that loud. I like the moment in the song otherwise, but I feel that if he is going to do it, then he needs to commit to it. Or failing that get someone else to do it. Otherwise it will just stick out for the wrong reasons.
He did sound muffled in the spoken word part. That bit was definitely worse. I also think the way the beat intensified in the studio version at that point worked better, but that is a critique specific to this version with live instruments. The Eurovision version won't be like that.

I'm not sure if in the end he will do the whole of the spoken word part. I suspect it might be an intentional choice to only do part of it and then have the rest be a 'echo' via pre-recorded vocals.

Lance Esgard

I’m excited to see what they come up with for the staging! A spinning platform of some sort? A room spinning? They could do so much !
Maybe three spinning platforms? The music video hints at that as at least a possible direction. If they did do that, from the music video then they already have the platforms on hand and from their size, they do look like they aren't too big or heavy to use from a logistical point of view (especially as some of the props could be removed if needed).

Given that you don't need to have spinning platforms to have a camera circle around in a music video, it was either an intentional choice to have the performance more clearly appear to be done on the same stage instead of seeming to transition between separate locations, or perhaps to tease/foreshadow the Eurovision performance.

If they did go in that direction for Eurovision I think (or perhaps that is hope) that instead of constantly spinning that would be toned down at least for the platform he is on.

theditz83

Veteran

Here's the clip from Olly's performance earlier on SNT!
I enjoyed this. He can completely nail this live, so I'm looking forward to seeing him push a really ambitious staging concept for Malmö.

Does my head in that people online are complaining that he was "miming" - anyone that cannot hear the subtle nuances between the studio version and this need their hearing checked out :cautious:

toinou03

Very professional. Not a banger but a very good song. It will do well with the juries as it's Olly Alexander and he will be good on stage. The public, not sure, but UK will do better than usual.

HarryUK

Veteran
I enjoyed this. He can completely nail this live, so I'm looking forward to seeing him push a really ambitious staging concept for Malmö.

Does my head in that people online are complaining that he was "miming" - anyone that cannot hear the subtle nuances between the studio version and this need their hearing checked out :cautious:
Oh no he was definitely miming but it was to the live version he did for Vevo

Chrisiam

As has been pointed out, Ollie didn't sing live, he is miming the "live" version he recorded earlier in the week. So in that regard, it is on par with what we had before, for better or worse.

Like I said earlier in the thread, I fear that as much as I like the song and as great a pop song as I feel that it is, I can't help but feel that this song is just "Fine" and that is about it. And I fear that the song will be enjoyable enough that the majority of people listening will like it, but a far smaller number of those people will actually vote for it. Unless they are holding something back that will really take this to the next level or have some really inspiring staging I don't see how this will do anywhere near as well as some people think it will.

Unless this becomes the "Sleeper hit" of the season. You know, that one track that flies under the radar for almost the entirety of the run-up to the contest then gets a great result on the night. But in the here and now there seems to be zero momentum behind this one.

Leydan

Worldvision Mod
Staff member
I've seen some comments online totally freaking over the fact he mimed on SNT and that his vevo performance may have been slightly enhanced. People just need to chill. Hes no Mae Muller vocally, even if he may not be flawless. Not only that he can perform. I didn't think his SNT performance would be live, it's just Ant & Dec messing around distracting the singers anyway, no one can sing live properly with that.

HarryUK

Veteran
SNT end of the show show is a bloody parody and anyone who’s worried over it should give their head a wobble lol

jeriswani

The UK just need to stop send pop. Our pop music is so bad right now. We literally have songs from the 00s charting higher than them. Most songs that do well are usually highly sampled. Our pop music industry has never been so bad in this country.

MopManMoss

Veteran
Think I was too harsh on this, the production really is immaculate. Eurovision is however about first impressions for the vast majority of the audience and my first impression wasn't incredible.

HarryUK

Veteran
Think I was too harsh on this, the production really is immaculate. Eurovision is however about first impressions for the vast majority of the audience and my first impression wasn't incredible.
For the majority of people watching it'll be first impressions on the live performance, which we know will be Olly's strength

Top Bottom