6 3.6%

16 9.6%

• Total voters

ESC United Mod Team

Super Moderator

flag-800.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Chorizo

Well it’s not me assuming that it’s basically gay fans here posting stuff like „it’s the much needed statement“ and so on.
I like the performance, but it has as little to do with the average gay guy as Chanel’s dance performance has to do with the average woman. I’d say stage performances are never representative of any group of people. What’s really representative of the average person is badly sung karaoke, I guess, regardless of the sexual orientation.

Sammy

Veteran
Well I personally really like the staging but i think ireland does it more impressive.
The edits here are so damn fast its hard to process. I'd give u that from a creative standpoint its amazing indeed but it doesnt really allow u to take it in.
I was taken in completely.
Regarding Ireland it‘s well done but artistically just an assembly of all-too-well-known pieces of halloween/horror-cliches. That‘s nothing negative, a good pastiche is enjoyable, but it‘s really not very original.

Chrisiam

Honestly, I'm still not sure how his battery pack falling off affected how out of breath he sounded but I hope that come Friday/Saturday he sounds better. As I have said in the past I'm not sure how this will end up doing, even with a good vocal performance, as whilst the staging has given it a much-needed shot in the arm I still fear that at best it might just be seen as being perfectly enjoyable but not so enjoyable that anyone will vote for it.

toinou03

I must say that although I didn't know what to think of that snippet, this performance was the one I was the most curious about (with that bloody whitch), and I have been blown away (no pun intended). It is one of the most incredible stagings we've ever seen. It is a real masterclass and Olly is definitely in for the win !

Jupiter

The staging really is great. I love the whole tricks with it shaking/spinning, and I don't think there is anything over the top/too sexual here. The tongues/faces in the rehearsal Clip were too much, but they toned it down, so all good. The revamp is also a great improvement over the original version.

The issue really were the vocals. And it's not just the mic pack, bcs Olly struggled from the start. No idea if it was nerves, an off-day, or whatever, but I really hope Olly will sound better on saturday. With good vocals this could get top 10 IMO, but without that... I have no idea. Fingers crossed, bcs I'd love for Olly & the UK to do well!

Rocket man

It's a fair comment about Olly's vocals, when it was announced that he would represent the UK, I did mention that Olly can be inconsistent with his vocals.
Olly can definitely sing, it's just doing it when it matters, hopefully he can control the nerves and smash it on Friday and Saturday.

Rocket man

I must say that although I didn't know what to think of that snippet, this performance was the one I was the most curious about (with that bloody whitch), and I have been blown away (no pun intended). It is one of the most incredible stagings we've ever seen. It is a real masterclass and Olly is definitely in for the win !

Thank you. I appreciated reading that.

Me personally, I would be very happy with a top 10. But if not, I'm still proud of Olly no matter what, he's a mentally strong person and has done his country proud already. He and his team has raised the level of UK Eurovision staging massively.

Neo

That was painful to watch. Seriously annoying, and I rarely get this riled up. I can't ever see it again. Not even in recap format. For the final I will have to leave the room.

This Alexander character even tops Serbia 2010 Milan Stankovic on outright annoyance factor. An unmitigated disaster in every possible way.

Sorry but there's a limit.

bstream

I hate to even talk about odds, but being 11th in the winner odds, 18th in the top 15 odds, all while also being second in the odds to come last is wild. I can only imagine this has to do with his vocals, which can vary from shaky to stellar depending on which side of the bed he wakes up on.

The staging itself is a (very intentional) risk, which is good for the UK, but also well-executed, probably top 5 of the year unless we see some things tonight which change that.

Following Olly off and on for the past 10 years, I knew his vocals were inconsistent, but he needs to pull through on Saturday. A strong UK placing in my view is a key element to getting higher quality songs across the contest in years to come. The Big 5 taking the contest seriously carries (at least some) weight, and has reverberating impact.

Last edited:

Chrisiam

I hate to even talk about odds, but being 11th in the winner odds, 18th in the top 15 odds, all while also being second in the odds to come last is wild. I can only imagine this has to do with his vocals, which can vary from shaky to stellar depending on which side of the bed he wakes up on.

The staging itself is a (very intentional) risk, which is good for the UK, but also well-executed, probably top 5 of the year unless we see some things tonight which change that.

Following Olly off and on for the past 10 years, I knew his vocals were inconsistent, but he needs to pull through on Saturday. A strong UK placing in my view is a key element to getting higher quality songs across the contest in years to come. The Big 5 taking the contest seriously carries (at least some) weight, and has reverberating impact.
I feel that the oddness in the odds comes down to just how mixed the fans are on the song. Let's be honest, from the moment the song was revealed there was a lot of people who felt underwhelmed or (like me) found it fine but worried that it wouldn't stand out on its own or they thought it was fantastic. Up until the staging was revealed any momentum behind Olly and the song had died off and regardless of quality it looked set for a mediocre result, well, aside from the people who think it is fantastic or terrible.

And that split between love it, hate it, and worried about the song still exists now. However, that worry is more about Olly's vocals. So this leads us to this position where if we take the odds as an indicator it will either fall just short of the top ten, get mid-table, or flop. And honestly, I find each of those scenarios likely. Personally, I feel that even if his vocals are on point there is still the worry it won't stand out enough to get enough points to avoid a bad result.

Plus there is the simple fact that the UK apparently is more likely to put a bet on during Eurovision so that will be boosting the odds, and the UK doing poorly is usually a safe bet anyway so those are going to contribute to it.

Leydan

Worldvision Mod
Staff member
the like to dislike ratio on youtube for the performance is by far the worst of any of the ones uploaded so far. It's almost 50/50. Also literally every single news article or promotional post from UK sources on social media is flooded with comments from people saying how disgusting it is and attacking Olly. So obviously a lot of people are motivated by hate. When it comes to the odds, the UK is always distorted in either way because the Brits make up a very large portion of the bets compared to other countries. As Chrisiam says, a bet on the UK coming last is probably seen as a fairly easy win bet - that's regardless of the year.

Rocket man

Olly has definitely worked on his vocals, from what I've heard from the rehearsal today he's added little flourishes to parts of the song, it shows off his vocals more and the juries will like that.

Come on Olly, just control the nerves tonight and show your talent.

NeoTen

Can't deny between the beginning of the week when he was really off-key, he sounds like a proper live artist now. *knock wood*

Chrisiam

Well, 18th is better than last. But in then end I feel that this was the kind of result we were always going to get at best. Whilst I feel that it is one of the best pop songs this year it doesn't leave enough of an impact and in the end the vocals were just never strong enough to inspire enough votes to make it count.

Leydan

Worldvision Mod
Staff member
At least we got left side a little while. :LOL: It wasn't the total disaster I was expecting after the performances tonight. Seems clear now that 2022 was a happy accident rather than the new rule.

Leydan

Worldvision Mod
Staff member
0 points? LOL
Not deserved at all..
And guys, thank you SO MUCH for the 12 points.

yep, 0 is completely unjust but someone has to get the shit end of the stick. :LOL:

ngl I didn't see that 12 coming, but you're welcome. xrunhug

Maia

I expected 0 points, but I also thought a few countries would get 0 from the televote. UK being the only one to get it is kind of rough.

Top Bottom