Contact us

The most political ESC entries!

doctormalisimo

:uk: 1971. The entry wasnt political, but the choice of entrant was. Because ESC was hosted in Dublin during the height of the war in Northern Ireland, the UK sent a singer from Northern Ireland who was popular in both countries, so they wouldn't get a bad reception.

esc87fan

:it: Italy in 1974. I don't know why about the "Si", but is political, I think.

You're right. Italy was going through a referendum on divorce during that time, so RAI didn't show the performance because they thought it would influence the outcome of the vote (because "Si" means "Yes" in Italian)

Guilep

You're right. Italy was going through a referendum on divorce during that time, so RAI didn't show the performance because they thought it would influence the outcome of the vote (because "Si" means "Yes" in Italian)

Thank you for explain, honey :D
I know what si means. I'm a quarter italian, but thanks again to explain xkiss

Archer

An obvious one;

:gr: 1976

It was a protest against Turkish debut and the Cyprus Peace Operation that had occurred two years ago. According to what I know TRT went off the air when it was this song's turn and played a patriotic Turkish song called "My Homeland" (covered from an Israeli folk song called Der Rebbe Elimelech) which was popular at that time as a protest.

Rumours say that some people seriously even thought that it was the Greek entry and appreciated them for that supposed gesture :lol:

Terence

I was going to post that Bosnian entry, in reply to the Croatian 1993 song posted earlier!!!!

Here is its preview video:

Touching song, very underrated - a great start to a very promising country!

Fluke

This can be considered quite political too, especially as it was chosen just as the Finnish parliament voted not to allow same-sex marriage.

HarryUK

Veteran
:ge: 2009 was hilarious yet so obviously a swipe at Russia
it's a shame it was disqualified, would have loved to of seen the Russian crowd's reaction haha!

lilka

I can't get :ua: 2007 off my head. I still hear "Russia goodbye" instead of "Lasha tumbai" :lol:

hugh

This was quite a powerful, political entry, in 1983 Germany hosted Eurovision for the first time and Israel decide to send an upbeat song with a chorus repeatedly singing "Hi" meaning "alive" in Hebrew, knowing there would have been a few Nazi sympathizers in the audience, and they were dressed in yellow like when the Jews were forced to wear the yellow star in Nazi Germany.

EscGeek

Veteran
nobody mentioned :se: 1974! :rolleyes:

My my
At Waterloo Napoleon did surrender
Oh yeah
And I have met my destiny in quite a similar way
The history book on the shelf
Is always repeating itself
Waterloo - I was defeated, you won the war
Waterloo - Promise to love you for ever more
Waterloo - Couldn't escape if I wanted to
Waterloo - Knowing my fate is to be with you
Waterloo - Finally facing my Waterloo

EscGeek

Veteran
:fi: 1982 "Nuku pommiin"
Translation - "Bomb out"
Furthermore,it sounds like he's singing about nuclear bombs:lol:

ukboy

:uk: 1977: Was in reference to financial problems of the recessions in the 1970s. On a personal note it made a point to the BBC struggling to afford to host the contest.

Fluke

Poland joins the club this year, with a song that obviously refers to the riots all over Europe as well as Hong Kong, possibly.

"Burning an empire happens so easy, we're gasoline and a match, used to be a tower so tall, now we're only crumbling walls" ?!? Are they telling us to set fire to government buildings? :oops:

To update the list a bit, of course "1944" was one of the most political entries ever. I am a diehard fan of it, but i can't deny that it was political in a way that wasn't entirely appropriate, and would have done as well without some of the lyrics. Still think it was a well deserved winner, and glad as hell Russia didn't win, damn political votes!

More recently, 2019 really was a pretty political year, with Iceland's Hatari and Spain's "La Venda" both having vague uprising messages, and UK's "Bigger Than Us" could be interpreted as being pro-EU, though i don't think that was songwriter John Lundvik's intention with it.

2018 had Georgia's "Keep the Faith", which seems pretty universal but a promo performance had "Russia invades Georgia" and other rather explicit political stances tacked on it, which was unnecessary for a very good song that unfortunately DNQ.

2017 saw Italy's "Occidentali's Karma" which had some political quips that were mostly lost in the ESC version with the second verse removed. 2016 had Greece's "Utopian Land" which obviously referred to the refugee crisis, and 2015 had "Aina mun pitää" about the mistreatment of disabled people.

Finally, or first rather, 2014 had Greece's "Rise Up" with more vague messages about uprising and resistance, which was timely with the riots in Greece and other countries at the same time.

Fluke

Belarus this year belongs here, obviously!

Top Bottom