Contact us

The Baklava Debacle

Leydan

Worldvision Mod
Staff member
Re: Political Leanings of this Forum

Told you x

Your comment in it was in the back of my head as I took that first bite. Will I be Deniz or will I be Rainy? xo apparently about 75% Rainy 25% Deniz

SaladBreak

I have a similar opinion when it's with walnuts. But with almonds it tastes >>>>>>>

Try halva and börek too if you find them.

DenizESC

Banned

Indeed Almonds and Pistachio Baklava>>>>

But I do still enjoy a good almond, just not as much.

Stargazer

Mod of All Things
Staff member
This thread is an offshoot of the Political leanings thread, which turned into a Baklava/food in general discussion with friendly political undertones. So let's continue that discussion here to our hearts' content without clogging up the original thread. :D

There is definitely an interesting cultural East/West divide in Europe when it comes to food, but also a North/South one, a Continental/Mediterranean one and so on. But this thread doesn't have to be limited to European cuisine, feel free to discuss any foods here from around the world.

It's better and easier to keep it here in the Politics sub-forum so there doesn't have to be any censorship as soon as something political comes up.

=========================================================================================================================

Reporting back. I have just tried Baklava. All I have to say is *drum roll* ......... is that I'm disappointed. My expectations were through the roof with how you all treated it like the 2nd coming. It is alright but it is so overly sweet and sticky. Not in a rush to have anymore. xo
It just looks soggy and unappetizing to me. xshrug I think it's all that filo dough. I love buttery puff pastry, but I'm not crazy about filo dough. But seeing as there are probably a lot of things about Swedish food that outsiders would find bland or gross (but that I personally love), I suppose looks aren't everything. :lol:

Indeed Almonds and Pistachio Baklava>>>>

But I do still enjoy a good almond, just not as much.
I love almonds and pistachios so that definitely sounds more appealing. I'm definitely open to trying baklava to see what it's like.

DenizESC

Banned
Wow what a queen xbow ASMR food channel owners have got the life tbh...

Also she is from Eskişehir xheat yess!! xlove #FellowEskişehirer (from my fathers side)

DenizESC

Banned
These look better actually! I think it was all that four-shades-of-brown thing in the pictures I had seen so far, that made it look not that appealing.

I just noticed that on the Dutch google as well after you said it, I saw there a chocolate baklava and even a kiwi baklava (like wtf lmao) before I saw a proper one xrofl

ESC94

I really love baklava, but it´s nearly impossible for me to eat more than two pieces, it feels like your mouth is sticking together.

Leydan

Worldvision Mod
Staff member
Baklava is overrated tbh. Kunafa or chicken breast pudding >>>>

Oh I loved that, and the cream stuff that went on top. I couldn't eat a whole one to myself but split with my friend it was enough. I didnt try chicken breast pudding though.

DenizESC

Banned
Baklava is overrated tbh. Kunafa or chicken breast pudding >>>>

Omg ur 100% the guy that will take on a casual day sütlaç over good şekerpare... xrofl

My sister is one of those and we had huge fights growing up that almost went physical for these types of discussions. That feeling when mom texts you there is delicious sweets being made after a long day of school and it turns out to be Sütlaç because ur sister, the devil pushed that. Rip. Milky sweets<<<<<<

Except cheesecake and ice cream. Oh and maybe milk chocolate.

Btw I do stan Kunafa ofc

Stargazer

Mod of All Things
Staff member
Omg ur 100% the guy that will take on a casual day sütlaç over good şekerpare... xrofl

My sister is one of those and we had huge fights growing up that almost went physical for these types of discussions. That feeling when mom texts you there is delicious sweets being made after a long day of school and it turns out to be Sütlaç because ur sister, the devil pushed that. Rip. Milky sweets<<<<<<

Except cheesecake and ice cream. Oh and maybe milk chocolate.
Googled it, sütlaç looks a lot like the rice porridge we have here called risgrynsgröt, which is a popular Christmas dish. I'm one of the few Swedes who hate it, though. xbeee Şekerpare looks super delicious. xheat

DenizESC

Banned
Googled it, sütlaç looks a lot like the rice porridge we have here called risgrynsgröt, which is a popular Christmas dish. I'm one of the few Swedes who hate it, though. xbeee Şekerpare looks super delicious. xheat

Şekerpare are adorable xlove I also definitely see the similarities between risgrynsgröt and sütlaç after googling it. Actually it looks like a different moms approach to basically the same dish... Anyways, what's clear is that neither of us will like both despite the vast majority our fellow countrymen disagreeing :lol:

Since Baklava debacles is just a fun keyword and this thread is for all sweets worldwide; I would like to know all your favorite sweets from your country. Swedish ones, British, Croatian, Greek, Russian, Chinese, Moroccan, etc. etc. share em all. It's also fun to see how different countries have similar dishes and to see their approach of it.

tomos2019

Fun fact: I'm actually not that big on Cornish pasties or cream teas, I only eat them if there's nothing else and I don't care about the jam first debate!

Gabe

Super Moderator
Staff member
While I wholeheartedly approve this thread, it does not belong in this forum. Moving it to offtopic. :lol:

Stargazer

Mod of All Things
Staff member
While I wholeheartedly approve this thread, it does not belong in this forum. Moving it to offtopic. :lol:
These were originally off-topic posts in the political compass thread that I moved to a thread of its own. There are plenty of political posts still in it, which is why I left it in the Political forum so they could remain in the thread. I also felt that debating various cultural cuisines could very easily turn political, especially if there are foods that several countries like to claim as their own.

Top Bottom