Contact us

Turkey TÜRKIYE 2025

ESC United Mod Team

Super Moderator

flag-800.png

ag89

Sertab's performance gained a lot of attention. Let's not forget Turkey had local elections this year where the AKP party lost. Yes, it's local elections, but it can be used as indicator the change is on a horizon.

The fact they invited Sertab to perform is a clear signal directed toward Turkish national broadcaster to come back. Let's see.

jatojo

GRE

After turkish president's words, we can write on the title "Not participating"

Mainshow

Veteran
It's getting so tiring and also utterly ridiculous.

It's not like a 4 hrs show on a Saturday night (when young kids should be in bad anyway) with a handful of queer artists will overthrow your conservative and religious society (or whatever you think your country should look like).

It's not like a 4 hrs movie with only straight characters turned a gay man into a straight one, either.

What are Erdogan's traditional values anyway? Asking women to wear headscarves and getting 3 children minimum? :D

DoctorX

His values are not our values. Regardless of whether he likes it or not, lots of people still watch Eurovision and hope to return once he is gone. These authoritarian boomer leaders are so detached from reality and delusional to think that everything they ban loses its legitimacy. Technological advancements are way beyond their comprehension, and societal changes are inevitable. His words are just populist rhetoric to gain a bit of power, but he lost his majority support long ago. It's only a matter of time before he is gone for good; even the people who supported him all along have had enough of him.

And seriously, can he just shut up on commenting on every single matter? Bitch, leave Eurovision to us and crawl back under your rock. 🤦‍♂️

Charly

Based on that article.

It may be sage to say but we can rule out Turkiye until 2029 unless Edrogan is gone before 2028 elections

SAYAY

It's getting so tiring and also utterly ridiculous.

It's not like a 4 hrs show on a Saturday night (when young kids should be in bad anyway) with a handful of queer artists will overthrow your conservative and religious society (or whatever you think your country should look like).

It's not like a 4 hrs movie with only straight characters turned a gay man into a straight one, either.

What are Erdogan's traditional values anyway? Asking women to wear headscarves and getting 3 children minimum? :D
Im assuming traditional values = family consisting of husband, wife and yes, 2-3 children. And he clearly sees the contest as a threat to that when participants like say Conchita Wurst or, in this case, Nemo shows up. The way he talks about it (at least from the norwegian article I read on this), its almost like the mindset is that "If you watch people from the LGBTQIA+ community on the biggest stage in the world, straight people will suddenly turn gay or change their gender or gender identity". Which is just a really stupid and bizarre mindset to me. I have watched this contest since I was 7-8 years old (my earliest memory is from 2005 for reference), and as far as I know at least, it hasn't "turned me gay" but it has definitely taught me how important it is to be an ally. And even if watching Eurovision theoretically had me realize that I am also a part of the rainbow-family in some way, then that would have been fine too because it would have been a part of me all along anyway. And just because Eurovision has for the longest time been a stage where people from this community have been given a stage where they can express and be proud of who they are, it doesn't mean that it automatically excludes the traditional family values or heck, straight couples. Including something doesn't automatically mean something else is excluded for good. Both can thrive with mutual respect and understanding. At least that's how I like to think on it. xrose

(sorry for this messy message btw, English is not my first language and I haven't slept in 24 hours)

Top Bottom