4 2.6%

15 9.7%

• Total voters

ESC United Mod Team

Super Moderator

flag-800.png

Iker

Veteran
The song itself is a banger that sounds very Swedish pop to me. The problem though I have with twins - they give off a smug energy that annoys me and I'm also not into their voices. I'd like it much more with different performers. The staging wowed me but Melodifestivalen often blows me away with those. I've not followed this edition after hearing that songs are mostly underwhelming.

han-g

The song itself is a banger that sounds very Swedish pop to me. The problem though I have with twins - they give off a smug energy that annoys me and I'm also not into their voices. I'd like it much more with different performers. The staging wowed me but Melodifestivalen often blows me away with those. I've not followed this edition after hearing that songs are mostly underwhelming.
Oh well I'm the opposite for me the song is the most mid of mid songs this year but the twins are brilliant performers and redeem it just a little for me when i watch the live. The staging I do agree is wow! But for once I'd like the best thing about the Swedish song to be well the song. Melfest always feels like a staging contest to me.

Sammy

Veteran
I mean, opening isn't necessarily an awful slot to have with the right song. 2 is arguably far worse. Idk if the song could withstand the opening considering the staging carries it, but I don't think it will damage them too badly.
Ask Teya & Salenas opinion on that.:ROFLMAO:

Ezio

Veteran
If opening the show doesn’t hurt why change the voting rules?

Ted Talks

It wasn’t that bad. And opening the show did cost them far more!
The staging sapped all the life out of the song. Going into the contest, it was one of my favourites, but the staging killed it. It came across as limp and lifeless despite Teya and Selena giving a strong vocal performance.

Going first may have stunted their potential too, but good staging - or just memorable staging (good or bad) - will make you stand out wherever you perform in the running order.

I’m definitely not buying into the conspiracies that Sweden have changed the voting rules (that were done previously - it’s not as if they invented these rules) to benefit them and only them.

FilipFromSweden

I will say this. I LOVED Who The Hell Is Edgar when it came out and I still do. Before May I envisioned there to be more stuff on stage for them, perhaps an office-like staging that they interacted with and with different moments. Instead they went for a computer game-like backdrop and called it a day. That's perhaps why people voted for the other pop songs as they had greater visual impact.

nudiecrudi

I will say this. I LOVED Who The Hell Is Edgar when it came out and I still do. Before May I envisioned there to be more stuff on stage for them, perhaps an office-like staging that they interacted with and with different moments. Instead they went for a computer game-like backdrop and called it a day. That's perhaps why people voted for the other pop songs as they had greater visual impact.
There are some kind of songs very difficult to be staged. Perfect studio versions and videoclips but when it comes to the big stage it's almost impossible to translate them with excellent stagings. Czechia 23 and Austria 23 were clear examples.
And I think the same problem will have Belgium, Netherlands, Switzerland and Austria this year. Are they going to sing correctly somehow meantime moving.acting and dancing as they do in the videoclips, without all the filters and special effects a studio version offers?

Franzilein

There are some kind of songs very difficult to be staged. Perfect studio versions and videoclips but when it comes to the big stage it's almost impossible to translate them with excellent stagings. Czechia 23 and Austria 23 were clear examples.
And I think the same problem will have Belgium, Netherlands, Switzerland and Austria this year. Are they going to sing correctly somehow meantime moving.acting and dancing as they do in the videoclips, without all the filters and special effects a studio version offers?

While I hope this won't be the case since Belgium and the Netherlands are my favourites this year, I think this is what Sweden does exceptionally well, they basically send finished products to Eurovision. You know what you will get, everything's already planned out and proven in front of a crowd. Meanwhile with internally selected songs, you can never be sure if the live performance will be as good as the studio record. I'd quote Austria '22 here rather than '23, opening the show is poison, just look at Czechia '22. Austria '23 and Czechia '22 smashed their semis, only to be forgotten in the final.

BorisBubbles

Veteran
Absolutely not. It was bad staging that was also badly performed on top of it.

If it were better, it would have gotten some jury votes at least.

Top Bottom