15 9.6%

• Total voters

ESC United Mod Team

Super Moderator

flag-800.png

Realest

Who would have thought back then:

ArmpitOfEurope

Well, the screen is great, they are very likeable and charesteristic as performers but it feels like the song itself for me is the weakest song Sweden has sent to the contest in years and years. Even weaker than Voices ( that I hated ), at least that one had an actual melody.
It would be 1 for the song, but as a package its a :6:.
Dont know how its gonna do in May, it may finish top 10 coz the twins are memorable or gather some jury love and then a televote snob ( Sweden will have to face the host country curse this year too ).

Franzilein

Is it only me or do they awfully resemble Thomas Brodie-Sangster?

0_full.jpg

Fluke

You know how nowadays, when Eurofans want to be aggressively indifferent to an entry or the song choice for an artist they say: "I can say that this is definitely a song" ?!?

Well, this is barely a song at all. It's a immaculately produced, excellently staged, adequately performed EDM buildup with barely any melody to remember. Technically, there is of course a melody, but it's secondary to synth riffs that aren't that memorable either. It also lacks any satisfying climactic release, any real "wow moment" other than the staging, which is most striking in the first part of the song anyway.

Leaving all things about the selection aside for now, i'm disappointed because i really liked their previous entry "Air", despite me usually being indifferent to that kind of music, and disliking how it matches the idea a lot of people in the rest of the world seem to have of "typical Nordic music" for some reason actual Swedes can't understand, since it's not really popular here, there's hardly any actual Swedish artists who do it and it's never played on the radio other than when some odd song like "Air" becomes an international hit every other year.

"Air" actually had a good melody, structure and emotional substance, this has none, it's a mindless, emotionless, humorless squeaky-clean club anthem that's not even an anthem.

So how will it go? I see anywhere from 3-18th place depending on how good the staging is and if they get any momentum with the media. I'm genuinely curious to see it, i'm not sure the "corridor" would work on the plus-shaped ESC stage, but they could easily change the layout while keeping the aesthetic.

So, the selection over all... i find it interesting that the televotes almost match the combined points except for one swap in the upper middle. Surprised Medina did so well, 2nd, but the entry felt like it made more sense in the final than in the semi, for some reason. Smash Into Pieces i still think would have been a good choice, from all the disappointing entries that made the final. I would have rooted like hell for Scarlet or Fröken Snusk if they had been in the final, hoping they will come back soon.

Jacqline is another promising name for the future. Her performance was incredible, if she can come back with a good song, there's incredible potential there. Also hoping to see some "real" metal or rock next year, and maybe a genuine Swedish rap act, not a joke act or complete amateurs like they've featured in many recent editions.

Dotter's song, every time, makes me go "Wow, i forgot how good this was" in the beginning, then it's just random screaming over a repeated chord progression for the rest. Hard to believe she actually ended up last behind three total unknowns, though.

Finally, while i frigging hate Björn Gustafsson and his drawn-out filler "skits", they kind of made a point with Björnzone. It would be interesting to see a "supergroup" like this compete in MF. It's actually not uncommon for such to be in other countries' national selections, though they seldom make it to ESC or do well there, and i think they would be almost sure to succeed in MF, but maybe that's the reason the post-Björkman mafia doesn't want it. They're so absurdly focused on pop solo artists, a supergroup doesn't fit with their concept of what MF should be.

Otherwise, what i want for next year, and surely won't get: No age grouping, no juries, just 4 semis with the top 3 entries straight to the final, and without revealing who came first. And actually good songs!

Loindici

Veteran
Some of us reacting to Melfest:

ESC94

Wasn't he the young actor playing in "Love actually"? (Loved the movie ... especially Hugh Grant's famous dancing scene 😂)

One of the most overrated movies in my opinion. Just way too many plotlines and the scene where Keira Knightley stands in the door and the guy holds cardboard signs claiming he loves her despite treating her like dirt the whole time before is creepy as freak but not romantic at all. xscared

mauve

Veteran
One of the most overrated movies in my opinion. Just way too many plotlines and the scene where Keira Knightley stands in the door and the guy holds cardboard signs claiming he loves her despite treating her like dirt the whole time before is creepy as freak but not romantic at all. xscared
Tbh Keira has never been my favorite actress - didn't like her in this movie either. But I still liked the movie as a whole. :) That guy's name is Andrew Lincoln and I had a crush back then on him, especially loved his voice. 😂

akoz

It was not the strongest selection but still Sweden could select something more interesting out of what I heard in the final. There is not a lot to say - very mid song with a good staging, juries will put them too high (top5 most likely) but people won't vote for this especially if all of so-called joke entries qualify to the final. :6: points.

Ezio

Veteran
The song is very 1995, Faithless "Salva mea" and the staging 2000 and late-teen.

Huge downgrade from Air. The flickering lights induce temporary blindness, schizophrenia and epilepsy.

It's not a standout in this field of uptempo songs. It rather blends in and fades into the background. SVT can throw the biggest budget for their chosen act at Mello but they can't shove aside 36 other countries and their staging requests. And all the crazy lights can't help elevating this song.

Franzilein

Wasn't he the young actor playing in "Love actually"? (Loved the movie ... especially Hugh Grant's famous dancing scene 😂)

Yeah, exactly :lol: Although I know him rather from Game of Thrones and Maze Runner.

Leydan

Worldvision Mod
Staff member
The irony isn't lost on me that Sweden is being represented by Norwegians at a contest hosted on home soil. Hey at least you've got that 24 points from Norway locked I guess. :mrgreen:

More often than not, I have at least a couple of songs in the final that i'd score 8, 10 or 12 and this year was no different, however as is the trend with MF they seem to nearly always end up picking something I find entirely mid. For a song called Unforgettable, I find it almost entirely forgettable. I can't slate the production which is ofc fantastic, but out of this line up Sweden could have gone for something that was completely reliant on the staging to carry it. Don't get me wrong, the staging is so slick and done well, it's a great spectacle and obviously it's going to help it perform very well in May (I dare say potentially win the juries) but the song is just the let down here. It's not bad, but I am totally unphased. :6:

Loindici

Veteran
Can we withdraw them and send Loredana Bertsson instead

Top Bottom