12 7.7%

4 2.6%

15 9.6%

• Total voters

ESC United Mod Team

Super Moderator

flag-800.png

Ekholmia

When you see headline news today in Swedish media about Metalfestivalen and you instantly think it's about Melodifestivalen. It couldn't be more wrong. :D

Last edited:

A-lister

Veteran
When you see headline news today in Swedish media about Metalfestivalen and you instantly think it's about Melodifestivalen. It couldn't be more wrong. :D

What the heck is "Metalfestivalen" anyways? Is it about Metal rock or is it literally about the material... well Metal? :lol: (*too lazy to Google it)

A-lister

Veteran
Also Melfest shows the decline of Swedish music industry. It gets more boring every year and the best entry this year came from Norway. MF prime was between 2015 and 2017 although they always chose the wrong song. Now they have 27 fillers for a coronation event.

Lol, Melodifestivalen has very little to do with how the Swedish music scene actually looks like...

And you purposely seem to miss that music industry also includes songwriters and producers (which I mentioned), and Sweden is still a force to be reckon with here...

Come back when Austria (a country of similar size as Sweden) has even a little portion of the success Sweden had and still has globally in music and entertainment industry... At least you have yoddling and big classical composers (and now we would go back some 100 years) so it's not all bad I guess...

Realest

335 Points in Average the last 7 Years. I wish :se: sent Eric Saade in 2021.

F07K5s8WcAMWAgM

0scar

Just rediscovered Alice's Running With Lions from Melodifestivalen 2017, deserved a better fate

HarryUK

Veteran
Just had a thought... next year would be the perfect time for Alcazar to return and win Melfest. Giving us PROPER eurodance fans the representation we deserve - with there being no pressure to win or qualify, plus the use of pre recorded backing vocals can always aide...

I'm for sure dreaming here, but I'll make the stars align lol

CPV4931

Just had a thought... next year would be the perfect time for Alcazar to return and win Melfest. Giving us PROPER eurodance fans the representation we deserve - with there being no pressure to win or qualify, plus the use of pre recorded backing vocals can always aide...

Would be so in for that xheart

Also hoping for Amaranthe to participate in Melfest one day

Ekholmia

That would be amazing indeed. I hope it happens.

A-lister

Veteran
I hope we get more songs written by others then the usual suspects.

Don't get your hopes up, this selection process is a farce. Tbh it would be more honest by them to simply go out and say that they don't accept public submissions as we all know that behind closed doors they have their "in-house" songwriters anyways.

ArmpitOfEurope

Will be interesting to see how Sweden will do next year, with the infamous " host country curse ". In 2013 the curse worked, in 2016 it didnt.
The only thing I know for sure is that nothing in Melfest is gonna top Tattoo in years to come, that Heat 4 performance is Melfest's peak.

Ekholmia

Will be interesting to see how Sweden will do next year, with the infamous " host country curse ". In 2013 the curse worked, in 2016 it didnt.
The only thing I know for sure is that nothing in Melfest is gonna top Tattoo in years to come, that Heat 4 performance is Melfest's peak.
Yeah it will indeed be difficult to top that heat 4 Tatoo performance. I also fear that MF 2024 will be a weak year. I hope I'll find one song that I will like. :D

A-lister

Veteran
Yeah it will indeed be difficult to top that heat 4 Tatoo performance. I also fear that MF 2024 will be a weak year. I hope I'll find one song that I will like. :D

MF is unfortunately generally weak nowadays, I mean there's always a handful of good entries (or like last year one standout), but that's not a good grade for a competition with 30+ songs that is supposedly the "strongest national selection" of them all.

Ekholmia

MF is unfortunately generally weak nowadays, I mean there's always a handful of good entries (or like last year one standout), but that's not a good grade for a competition with 30+ songs that is supposedly the "strongest national selection" of them all.
Even when it's was considered to be good I generally only liked 2-3 songs. Nowadays it's generally 1-2 songs. Often only 1 song. Quite fearful ahead of next year. Loreen really saved MF 2023.

A-lister

Veteran
Even when it's was considered to be good I generally only liked 2-3 songs. Nowadays it's generally 1-2 songs. Often only 1 song. Quite fearful ahead of next year. Loreen really saved MF 2023.

I can't really recall last time I truly liked an MF edition, probably like 2004-2005 or something.

Yeah 2023 was unusually dreadful, and the way it was literally set-up for Loreen who practically had the only good song... It could have ben an internal selection tbh.

ArmpitOfEurope

I can't really recall last time I truly liked an MF edition, probably like 2004-2005 or something.

Yeah 2023 was unusually dreadful, and the way it was literally set-up for Loreen who practically had the only good song... It could have ben an internal selection tbh.

Air wasn't bad either, wouldnt have won but would have brought Sweden another top 6 result.
And yes overall the quality has dropped and thats a problem when you have a 2-month national final with 4 semis. Sweden will continue doing well in ESC coz 1 good entry is all it takes, but Melfest needs many good entries, otherwise they could just cut it to a Final only and there would be no difference at all.

rasmuslights

Veteran
Air wasn't bad either, wouldnt have won but would have brought Sweden another top 6 result.
And yes overall the quality has dropped and thats a problem when you have a 2-month national final with 4 semis. Sweden will continue doing well in ESC coz 1 good entry is all it takes, but Melfest needs many good entries, otherwise they could just cut it to a Final only and there would be no difference at all.

so true.

in fact, all of the countries participating should have max 2 semis and a final. we really don't need heats and similar nonsense.

finland in my opinion still has the best possible format - only a final, just 7 acts but all getting their spotlight with music videos being released each day, also great diversity among acts not only genre-wise but also when it comes to their careers (newcomers but also their biggest stars and everything in between). I only dislike the 25 % - 75 % ratio since it makes the juries more or less useless.

A-lister

Veteran

Each to their own of course, I thought Air was pretty bad and I'm not sure it would do that good...

Regardless, I agree with the rest you said, MF is just quantity over quality these days but as long as the general public watches and it's a cash machine for SVT and all other players in the game, nothing will change.

I mean I don't mind quantity, and I rationally get that not everything will fit my taste, but it seems to be a general opinion that the average quality is pretty bad and when only a handful or even just 1 entry is good enough there is no excuse for it... but then again it's all about the money... and cronyism (these "in-house" songwriters/composers would most probably be out of work if it wasn't for MF nor would majority of the acts taking part, so it all seems to be arranged for them to keep their finances float instead of proper caring to have a contest that truly represents the Swedish music scene and would be a good window for outsiders to see what we're all about).

Ekholmia

Look a lot of music that is sent to MF by amateurs are really bad, I mean really bad. If you have been on Swedish songwriters forums for instance over the years you know that the songs you've heard who didn't make it from those people there are of low quality. And they bitch every year. If you want to compete with professionals you need to take your own songs up to a professional level. I've also heard people who has been on the jury say that many amateur songwriters songs is something else to go through.

It is annoying that it is the same songwriters year in and year out but also understandable.

Top Bottom