5 3.4%

9 6.1%

• Total voters

ESC United Mod Team

Super Moderator

flag-800.png

Last edited by a moderator:

jatojo

I'm glad to see Angy Fernandez so high up in the odds (currently 4th). It's a good pop-rock song - not exceptional, but good. The rest of the songs are not interesting. Spain is below par, together with France, Norway, Ireland and Finland. Will we be seeing a year where even the "happiest" Eurovision influencers will admit that the previous year was stronger?

Paco Roca

I still think this can do a top 3 in Malmö
Today I was thinking about it... while I was taking a shower 😆 st. Pedro could be the most logical and right choice. First because it follows a line of diversification: from the unbridled and seductive dance of "SloMo" to the renewed and impactful Flamenco of "EaEa" to reach... the deep melody of st. Pedro. Second, too many jokey songs and other powerful sounding songs are about to enter this edition. The magic of st. Pedro could stand out from the crowd. I don't think he can win and surprise like Sobral but he could also reach the Top 10.

Remembrance

I'll concur what others have said so far;

st. Pedro - Dos extraños (Cuarteto de cuerda)

This is the best song here, and really puts my mind and soul to ease. Just brilliant..!
If he wins and goes to Eurovision, Spain will absolutely be in my top 5 - if not top 3 - this year :D

Choose wisely ;)

Narcis

At this stage it would be a massive shock if st. Pedro didn't win BF comfortably. He may not be the most popular entry (only 7th in streams) but there is a large (far larger in Spain than odds may indicate) and rare consensus on being the best package on offer.

MAD20

Now that the Benidorm Fest week is coming, I must say I'll be happy if either Almácor, Sofía Coll or st. Pedro take the victory. I would also be pleased with María Peláe or Lérica, but I think neither of them are currently frontrunners whatsoever.

What I have observed during these weeks is that some of the songs are being played on radio stations, which is a good sign that the BF is going in the right direction. Probably Marlena's is the one being played more often. I even heard st. Pedro's song on a radio in the Canary Islands last week!

Narcis

I've listened María Peláe in Radiolé and MANTRA in random radio stations as well... Songs are working well and that's a huge W for Benidorm Fest.

I fear TV ratings may be down, but as tool for music industry it's definitely looking very good.

ayzelto

Even though I really like Sofia Coll and I'm super obsessed with her, I still think St. Pedro has something really cool prepared for us. Apparently, the staging is in the hands of a famous Spanish choreographer who has collaborated with artists like Rosalia, Karol G, and Shakira. And it will also be accompanied by 5 dancers. Maybe a play of shadows? Let's see what happens, but it looks the most promising as the song is already very good.

DanielLuis

Can any Spanish person explain to me why in the hell the show is starting at 10.50 PM local time in a WORK DAY? That is absolutely insane

DanielLuis

Anyway, echoing the sentiment that St. Pedro is the only viable choice in the selection this year.

This line-up overall is incredibly weak and underwhelming, especially considering the lineup of the past couple of years. I feel like literally all of the acts in last year's final would be a clear top 3 this year, that's how different the overall level of the selection is.

I like a few songs, like Maria Pelaé, Marlena or Yoly Saa. Nebulossa is fun too. But St. Pedro is absolutely the only one that stands out and has any chance of producing a magical moment in may. The instrumental is so beautiful, and so are the lyrics. The song has the power to get a top 5/10 in may and absolutely save Benidorm Fest's face after a dreadful batch of songs.

As for Sofia Coll, I really cannot understand how in the world this is even seen as a contender to win. Like, I can see why it's fun to listen to, but it literally feels like the song is an unfinished demo, and like it's not even meant to be a single, but rather the intro to an album, or even a interlude? It's like it's building up for something epic and goes absolutely nowhere, it literally is just like a filler before the main banger in a album, I can't even process the thought of it being an Eurovision entry because it simply doesn't feel like an actual single. And don't even get me started on the spoken part, that has the potential to be the cringiest moment ever in a Eurovision stage.

Paco Roca

Can any Spanish person explain to me why in the hell the show is starting at 10.50 PM local time in a WORK DAY? That is absolutely insane
It's madness indeed. This suggests that the Benidorm Fest is not yet considered a prime time contest. More than being a festival similar to Sanremo it is still similar to many NFs who choose the songs mainly for the ESC.

However, I am satisfied with the work done. In three editions we can say that we have brought great ESC contenders: Chanel who came close to victory, Blanca Paloma who brought tradition and quality (too niche but it cannot be said that the musical product was poor) and to these will probably be added St.Pedro with a song that is characteristic of Spanish culture and very profound.

I don't agree with considering this edition weak. Indeed, compared to the other two editions I see a close fight between St.Pedro and Almacor. However, although they are not victory songs I see 4-5 other respectable competitors.

Narcis

Sorry but it is not madness and it is prime time slot.

First of all, plenty of businesses in Spain remain open until 9:30 or 10. I do work until 10, actually. So TV prime time has always started after 10. And in later years it has been pushed even later to 22:50 because of El Hormiguero success. Nobody wants to see its ratings eroded by that show, considered access prime time, so they wait until it finishes.

RTVE has been heavily criticised but all Benidorm Fest semifinals so far have always started this late and they can't swim against the stream. It would be pointless to be on air when nobody watches.

MooseShoes

Sorry but it is not madness and it is prime time slot.

First of all, plenty of businesses in Spain remain open until 9:30 or 10. I do work until 10, actually. So TV prime time has always started after 10. And in later years it has been pushed even later to 22:50 because of El Hormiguero success. Nobody wants to see its ratings eroded by that show, considered access prime time, so they wait until it finishes.

RTVE has been heavily criticised but all Benidorm Fest semifinals so far have always started this late and they can't swim against the stream. It would be pointless to be on air when nobody watches.
Exactly. This is a place where Masterchef for kids finishes after midnight on school nights.

HarryUK

Veteran
Not everyone in Europe can have a siesta Spain!! I'm complaining at 9:50pm in the UK :ROFLMAO:

0scar

I cannot believe I'm almost heading to bed already and in Spain Beniform Fest does not start until 2 more hours

mauve

Veteran
I am looking forward to tonight! Even though I am not sure if I will make it to the end since I have to get up early tomorrow.

Top Bottom