Contact us

(... so maybe this is the) General Discussion Thread

Loindici

Veteran
Well, I can't find the 2024 general discussion thread yet. I'm providing a thread to house it before mods will make one.

You may discuss anything related to the 2024 contest in general.

EDIT: Welp, I guess it has manifested into one.xshrug Let's go guys!

Last edited:

Ted Talks

In my eyes it does ... Let's be honest: "Unforgettable" is a very bland and boring song that will be forgotten, especially when M&M have to perform so soon. So many other songs afterwards that outshine Sweden. By opening the voting with the first song, people can be animated to vote for M&M on the spot just because the staging is so impactful, but not the song itself. At least that's my view.
The logic doesn’t hold there.

If they’re outshone by other songs, people won’t vote for them if they perform first, 14th or last with the lines open. They’ll vote for someone else.

It’s a real lazy assumption to make that people will vote for song 1 just because it’s up first. It’s kind of insulting to viewers if you ask me.

And also, if people like the staging and vote because of that, fair enough. I don’t see the issue with that. Viewers at home latch to something that’ll make them vote - be it the melody, the outfits, the staging etc. Its not just about the song anymore.

mauve

Veteran
And also, if people like the staging and vote because of that, fair enough. I don’t see the issue with that. Viewers at home latch to something that’ll make them vote - be it the melody, the outfits, the staging etc. Its not just about the song anymore.
You definitely have a point here, but I for my part don't want a performance to be judged by the staging only if a song is lacklustre. And additionally it would be nice and fair if the people watch every performance to decide which one they want to vote for. But that's just me thinking that way.

Ted Talks

You definitely have a point here, but I for my part don't want a performance to be judged by the staging only if a song is lacklustre. And additionally it would be nice and fair if the people watch every performance to decide which one they want to vote for. But that's just me thinking that way.
I’d rather the vote didn’t open until everyone performed too as that seems the most fair way. It also seems less open to being potentially abused by those with nefarious intentions or what have you,

Whether we like it or not, it’s changing. It may revert back next year for all we know…

gigi_copp3

Seeing Sanremo, usually who's the most advantaged by the votes being opened since the start, will be the acts in the half positions (10-17)

Bobjan FR

Those people will vote the way they vote no matter when the voting begins.
No, it can be people not watching the show, just coming to support the artist/country after hearing about it on the internet. With the 15 minute windows, these people should wait to vote or leave, now they can vote immediately then turn the tv off.

NemesisNick

Automatic finalists actually performing in the semis is something i wanted since forever. But why .... would they put them in between competing performances? xangry
They could have the automatic qualifiers perform after the first recap. The snag is, people are busy voting then (if eligible), some might use the interval for a loo break / time to make a drink, etc before the qualifiers are announced. I've used semi-final interval time in past years to post my points of view on the competing semi-final songs (which I've typed during the performances), and qualification preferences, on my blog, and links to it from ESC United Forum and Facebook. Hence I for one haven't paid much attention to whatever is shown in the interval (bar the first recap). At least having the automatic qualifiers perform "just for show" between the competing semi-finalists ensures people pay attention to the automatic qualifiers' performances, just like the competing semi-finalists' performances.

Leydan

Worldvision Mod
Staff member
I don't even want to think about what will happen if it is keeping the lines open through the jury results :eek:

That would such a disastrous change, on par with having the semi finalist on stage during the qualifier announcement last year. Nothing would influence the public vote more.

Loindici

Veteran
I'm hoping the other big change is increasing the number of jurors from 5 to at least 10.
10 jurors per country seems difficult to find. Even adding to 6 or 7 is good enough.

One wish of mine is for the jurors to be a good mix of 2 Eurovision affiliates and 3 practice professionals, if we stick to five jurors. I often see the argument of jurors being non-serious picks by their broadcaster, and while this is not really "change", it should be a good argument point on how to actually compose a jury team.

Bobjan FR

I'm hoping the other big change is increasing the number of jurors from 5 to at least 10.
I don't even want to think about what will happen if it is keeping the lines open through the jury results :eek:
Wrong Idea, with this, the jury votes would look more and more the same, loreen would have reach 380 points with this ( Look the ogae votes) so Basically it would make it worse.

Synergise

Wrong Idea, with this, the jury votes would look more and more the same, loreen would have reach 380 points with this ( Look the ogae votes) so Basically it would make it worse.
This. It's one of those things where having more jurors feels like it would be fairer because 5 does feel really small. But if you increase the number of jurors, you eliminate some of the noise and eccentricity in individual jurors votes, and Eurovision needs that noise. I don't really want to see half of the countries getting <10 jury points in the final and a small few getting 300+, and that's what it'll trend towards if you increase the size of the jury.

There are definitely arguments for changing how each jury is comprised though (i.e. musical backgrounds, age).

I still think the 'big change' will be in how WE get to vote, rather than the jury.

Bobjan FR

Oh, and yes, what are your theories about this other big change to come ? It might be something if they don't announce it now but later....

Loindici

Veteran
Oh, and yes, what are your theories about this other big change to come ? It might be something if they don't announce it now but later....
I hope it's something to do with the way votes are counted (which does NOT include adding 9, 11, 13, or other numbers)

Wynnter

Well they said that the presentation of the results in all three shows will stay the same, so it can't affect that part of the show.

AliceEsc

Well, I hadn't thought of that. My argument was based on - the larger the number, the more difficult it is to influence one another, bribe etc. But I see your point.

Loindici

Veteran
While I know not everyone is on board with this idea, would it be possible to see world-renowned artists taking interval stages in this year's contest?

SpiritofKeiino

I'm not enjoying many songs so far. None have genuinely grabbed me like in previous years, by this time anyway.
I'll give them another chance, maybe I need to see more live performances...

Top Bottom