Contact us

(... so maybe this is the) General Discussion Thread

Loindici

Veteran
Well, I can't find the 2024 general discussion thread yet. I'm providing a thread to house it before mods will make one.

You may discuss anything related to the 2024 contest in general.

EDIT: Welp, I guess it has manifested into one.xshrug Let's go guys!

Last edited:

Realest

Care to elaborate why you actually think those are great changes?
Show me the light!!!!

- Running Order probably having less Influence. At least 2010 and 2011 had the most balanced Televoting since 2009.
- Big5 having the Chance to build up at least some small Momentum during the Semis already.

Teaisloveable

The world vote opening 1 day before the show is kinda wild to me.

Surely it becomes the Eurovision Studio Version Contest?
The judgement of an entry is of course, the song, but it's also the staging and performance of an entry
Imagine voting for a song because you loved it pre contest and then the performance happens and you're like
Wtf was that.

Its probably a stretch, but I really hope this doesn't mean countries put less effort into the performance if they have high popularity songs.

I understand the points of opening voting on the night earlier, but it also seems that it could have the effect stated above.

Having said that, I do think it's good for the EBU to experiment with the voting/ judgment procedures of the contest, it'll be interesting to see what effect this has!

EDIT: It will be nice seeing the Big5 perform in the semis though! Is this a step towards having them compete? Probably not due to the finances, but it'll give them more exposure

0scar

Well at least we will have seen all the live performances at the Eurovision stage when the RTW-voting opens 1 day before the show, so I guess they will include snippets of that before voting (kinda like Junior Eurovision I assume)?

randajad

Veteran
Honestly, there is already too much presence of the six pre-finalists in the semifinals, but I like the other change.

Synergise

I'm going to call this other 'new change' now - they're probably going to move to the Junior Eurovision voting method (other than voting for your own country). No more voting for the same entry multiple times - everyone gets to vote for exactly three countries, probably using the Eurovision app.

Helps tackle diaspora voting, spreads votes out a little bit more... I honestly think it's a good change if they do it.

EscGeek

Veteran
Automatic finalists actually performing in the semis is something i wanted since forever. But why the fuck would they put them in between competing performances? xangry

The voting change.. i don't really care, but the banners from 2010 and 2011 don't look nice when you're rewatching the performance. I hope the official youtube clips won't include those banners.

Bobjan FR

I don' t understand why people are happy about the change of the lines open before the songs to perform ? it just let people vote for their origin country without having seen anything (or kind of things like this)

Good they make the big 5 sing for real in semies, but, between the semi-final contestants ? So the big 5 is part of the running order as well ?!?

Ted Talks

Sweden drawing 1st in the running order just after changing the voting so lines open at the start of the show…. Girl
Maybe I’m just stupid bit I fail to see how this change really benefits Sweden.

While the votes haven’t been open beforehand in recent years, the last three placing of the grand final opener have been 15th, 22nd and 16th.

Are we seriously trying to say that will be different now? Are the general public going to watch Sweden and just vote for it as it was first? I don’t think so.

The accusations it’s a form of rigging or some sort to inflate Sweden’s finish are frankly just insulting.

Storm

i'm really scared of the other major change that was announced, I really hope its not letting the lines open during jury voting...

Ted Talks

While the votes haven’t been open beforehand in recent years, the last three placing of the grand final opener have been 15th, 22nd and 16th.

Are we seriously trying to say that will be different now? Are the general public going to watch Sweden and just vote for it as it was first? I don’t think so.

The accusations it’s a form of rigging or some sort to inflate Sweden’s finish are frankly just insulting.
And for what it’s worth, in general I don’t approve of the vote being open beforehand as I just feel it might be abused by some people spam voting certain acts.

It feels very much like a move that’s going to benefit the crazier, wackier entries and their fans.

mauve

Veteran
In my eyes it does ... Let's be honest: "Unforgettable" is a very bland and boring song that will be forgotten, especially when M&M have to perform so soon. So many other songs afterwards that outshine Sweden. By opening the voting with the first song, people can be animated to vote for M&M on the spot just because the staging is so impactful, but not the song itself. At least that's my view.

empo21

Veteran
I don' t understand why people are happy about the change of the lines open before the songs to perform ? it just let people vote for their origin country without having seen anything (or kind of things like this)

Those people will vote the way they vote no matter when the voting begins.

mup

ESC sign vandalized in Malmö (link in Swedish). :( I hope that this Eurovision won't be ruined by attacks of some sort and everyone will be able to enjoy it safely.

HarryUK

Veteran
There are currently 3 Eurovision 2024 songs in the UK iTunes chart:

:uk: 8: Olly Alexander - Dizzy
:se: 91: Marcus and Martinus - Unforgettable
:il: 114: Eden Golan - Hurricane

Top Bottom