Contact us

Sayings in your country

Mark-ESC14

Hi All!

Just to share some wisdom with eachother. :) Post some sayings you have in your country! (And explain what they mean)

For Example. In the Netherlands we have this saying:

Hij heeft een gat in zijn hand. (He has a hole in his hand)

When you say this, this means that the person is spending too much money. (So the money is 'falling' through the hole)

Post your sayings here! :D

nikolay_BG

Banned
I love sayings ^.^

My current hit is
"Нации, които се напиват с бира, не могат да дават акъл на нации, които изтрезняват с бира"

which goes like that :

"Nations who get drunk with beer, can`t give wisdom to nations who get sober with beer" :lol:

I think the meaning is quite obvious :lol:

Mark-ESC14

Another Dutch one:

Stille Wateren hebben diepe gronden. (silent waters have deep grounds)

This is mostly referred to a person who doesn't say a lot and doesn't really stand out in a group and is a quite person, but he/she is very good at something and they have great talent for it.

goktengri

Banned
My faves:

Osurukla boya boyanmaz ( It can not be painted by fart ). It means you can't succeed in any job with incapable behaviors.

Anasini satmak ( Selling something's mother ). Overcoming a job.

Göte giren semsiye acilmaz ( The umbrella which entered into *ss cannot be opened ). It's too late to be regretful. There is nothing to do.

Esegin amina su kacirmak ( Leaking water into donkey's *ussy ). Exaggerating somethings.

Iki eliyle bir siki dogrultamamak ( Those who can't straighten their *icks with their 2 hands ). Used for clumsy people.

Denizden babam ciksa yerim ( even if my father comes out from the sea, I can eat him ). If you're so hungry :lol:

Sunu götünle degil agzinla ic ( Drink it by your mouth, not by your *ss ). Used for those who goes haywire and shows aberrant behaviours after drinking alcohol.

Tanrinin siktir ettigi yer ( The place where the god doesn't give a *uck about ). Very silent, far and desert places.

Bokunda boncuk bulmak ( Finding a bead in somebody's *hit ). Being very happy.

Omg our sayings are very rude :eek::lol:

Last edited:

Interrail

Another Dutch one:

Stille Wateren hebben diepe gronden. (silent waters have deep grounds)

This is mostly referred to a person who doesn't say a lot and doesn't really stand out in a group and is a quite person, but he/she is very good at something and they have great talent for it.

Similar: Tiha voda breg roni. (Silent water wears down a shore)
(person should be consistent to reach what desires)

seb89

Other ones :D

een kat in de zak kopen (buy a cat in the bag) = buy a pig in a poke
de kat uit de boom kijken (looking the cat out of the trees)= wait to see which way the wind blows
de kat in het donker knijpen (pinch the cat in the dark) = be sneaky, do things on the sly

In Belgium:
andere katten te geselen hebben (have other cats to whip) = have other fish to fry
er is geen kat (there is no cat) = there isn't a soul (to be seen)
zijn kat sturen (sending his cat) = not show up

Last edited:

Narmina

Kor kora kor deməsə bağrı çatlayar (means that if you have some mistakes, you try to find mistakes in other people)

Pişiyin əli ətə çatmayanda - deyir: "İylənib" (When you can't reach something, you say that it's bad)

Eşşəyə minnək bir ayıb, düşmək min ayıb (means that if you try to do something crazy it's not a big problem, the biggest one is to stop on half of the way)

Aslanın erkəyi, dişisi olmaz (means that courage doesn't depend on gender)

Su girdi qaba - oldu içməli (means that people can used to every circumstances)

Əli bala batmaq (to succeed)

Interrail

Other ones :D

een kat in de zak kopen (buy a cat in the bag) = buy a pig in a poke

Kupiti mačku u džaku (buying a cat in a bag) (when somebody wants to trick u over something)

Narmina

I will while I will remind them :)

Ot kökün üstündə bitər/ Alma almaya bənzər (means that human behave like his roots)

Nə şiş yandı, nə kabab (When you're solving problem without insulting anyone's interests)

Saman altında su var (means that there is something secret due to this person, which is still unrevealed)

Gözüm səndən su içmir (means that I don't like you're behavior)

İt hürər, kərvan keçər ("Dog Barks, caravan goes" - never pay attention to words of unimportant people)

goktengri

Banned
Nə şiş yandı, nə kabab (When you're solving problem without insulting anyone's interests)

Saman altında su var (means that there is something secret due to this person, which is still unrevealed)

İt hürər, kərvan keçər ("Dog Barks, caravan goes" - never pay attention to words of unimportant people)

same again xheart

Mark-ESC14

Vele wegen leiden naar Rome. (Many ways lead to Rome - Means that there are several ways to achieve something)
Als de kat van huis is, dansen de muizen op tafel. (When the cat isn't at home, the mouses dance on the table - means that if the parents aren't home, the children do whatever they like)
Wie het breed heeft laat het breed hangen. (Someone who is rich, shows off)
De een z'n dood is de ander z'n brood. (Someone's dead is someone's bread - Something that is a disadvantage for someone can be an advantage for someone else)
Elke medaille heeft een keerzijde. (Every medaillion has two sides - Every situation has it's postive and negative sides)
Olie in het vuur gooien. (Throwing oil in the fire - Restart an old argument [Or to make something worse])

goktengri

Banned
Another one I love:

Yangından mal kaçırmak or Yangından mal kaçırır gibi - Smuggling goods from fire or (doing something) like smuggling goods from fire. It means doing something hastily, being so impatient, and sometimes it is used for those who tries to finish a job as soon as possible in order not to be called attention because they want to hide somethings.

Scooby

We say Пси лају, караване пролазе!

Yamarus

And we say: "Quand les chiens aboient, la caravane passe." :-D

Top Bottom