3 2.8%

• Total voters

ESC United Mod Team

Super Moderator

flag-800.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Ezio

Veteran
It kinda draws me in but it doesn't get me hooked like Portugal usually does. I remember 2015, 2017, 2018, 2019, when Portugal took me by storm.

Decayingbooks

I posted it before, but they recently added english captions, so if anyone is curious on how "Grito" was produced, here is the video.
Also Luar, the producer, has an ama thread on reddit [here]

Edit: I forgot to mention it the previous time I posted this video. Gui Salgueiro, aka, Yanagui, aka, The Black Mamba's keyboar player recorded some things for the song, his most noticeable contribution is the "music box" at end of the song.

Last edited:

ESC94

Today it was time for :pt: at the ESC kompakt songchecks 2024.

The verdict of the bloggers:

Benny - A very emotional to dramatic Fado ballad with good lyrics that really catches me and fascinate me for three minutes. The creative staging also contributes to this, which will certainly raised to a higher level for Malmö. The song itself is pretty unwieldly though and maybe that´s why it didn´t dig that deep into my heart. :6:

Berenike - I had to listen to the song quite a few times until I found a connection to it. That´s not unusual for Portuguese entrys though, they like to be unwieldly. In the meantime I like the song due to it´s floating sadness and yearning. And because of its bulkiness. :7:

Douze Points - Portugal is once again staying true to itself and ignoring the supposed mainstream. Instead, the focus is once again on an artistic-modern, albeit largely incomprehensible work of art. When implemented on stage, it captivates me for at least two minutes - also because Iolanda performs and sings in an equally fascinating and professional way. :5:

Flo - Once again an extremely coherent and beautifully performed number from Portugal. Above all, the slow build-up from the almost a cappella singing to the chorus and the increasing instrumentation can have an extremely effective effect on stage. The biggest hurdle could almost be the semi-final itself, where only televoting counts, because the juries will certainly have a few points up their sleeve in this year with few ballads. From many points of view, “Grito” would be an enrichment for the finale. :7:

Manu - From the first to the last second, Iolanda captivates me - I felt the same way when I just listened to the audio. I was even more delightet that she managed to bring this feeling to the stage. The quiet beginning full of harmony and her wonderful voice, the ear-pleasing chorus, the melodically completely different second verse full of drama, emotions and interesting sounds right up to the scream of liberation and the singing that is completely at peace again: For me “Grito” is the masterpiece of this year's ESC. A quality that simply belongs in the final. Completely convincing :12:.

Max - After Salvador Sobral's victory, the country has absolutely found its way at the ESC: Staying true to itself, relying on authenticity and not doing so badly. This year things are generally going well again, even if “Grito” is probably not as accessible as “Saudade, Saudade” and is a bit more unwieldly for the general public. Nevertheless, once again a very interesting contribution from Portugal. :7:

Peter - Grito” is a rather difficult cry to digest. Strong: The edginess and dramaturgical depth of the song, Iolanda's voice and, above all, the impressive Faceless production in Pina Bausch style all in white. Not so strong: You can't get in and a noticeable melody is conspicuous by its absence. :7: for the color white.

Rick -For me “Grito” (along with Leo Middea) was actually the only viable song in this year's Festival da Canção, which is why I think it's a good choice for the ESC. Compared to the international competition, the number just doesn't convince me that much. Still, I like the artistic performance and somehow the melody - but it just doesn't blow me away. :4:

musicfan

Very professional and sung very precisely and clearly just like some other Portuguese entries of modern times. But I still don't feel that much emotion, I don't know if things get watered down for Eurovision or whether it's the modern style, but when I've heard classic songs of traditional Portuguese music (fado) I remember hearing much more feeling.

Iker

Veteran
I changed my opinion about this song, it's actually a truly beautiful song instead of just a nice one. But I also agree with one little criticism from this youtuber and a musician - it could do with more bass. I thought something was missing but I couldn't quite name it and then I've watched this video and it became clear.

0scar

I love this but I'm not really sure what the song is about?? Could some Portuguese fans help me out here

lacrymea

I love this but I'm not really sure what the song is about?? Could some Portuguese fans help me out here
It's basically about her finding strength to battle and overcome her struggles/ insecurities/inner demons (represented by the faceless dancers).

I wish there was a way to translate this even better on stage. It's pretty straightforward to portuguese speakers, but non speakers will probably struggle to understand what she's trying to convey.

goncalovieira

And suddenly, we are going down and down in the odds for qualification... wtf

lacrymea

And suddenly, we are going down and down in the odds for qualification... wtf
Eurofans seemed to like our song before it won FdC. More reactions than usual from unusual sites as well (wiwi for instance). Then Grito won and all the previous love disappeared. It's been downhill ever since. Very weird.

TB98

Guys. it's just odds. They don't mean much, especially atp. Odds have always underrated us anyway. The Black Mamba and Mimicat were NQ according to them atp in time. Maro was also like 16th iirc on the day of the final. Rehearsals will give us more clearance. Lets not overreact too much. We have a great RO and an amazing singer.

Top Bottom