4 3.7%

3 2.8%

• Total voters

ESC United Mod Team

Super Moderator

flag-800.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Decayingbooks

A curiosity that I wasn't aware till today: Technically this isn't the first year iolanda competed on Festival da Canção, on 2022 she was part of the team that wrote the song "Mar no Fim"

crals

I love this.

Typically, I haven't been able to appreciate Fado. It just isn't a taste I'd been able to acquire as I'd found it too slow and monotonous and this is influenced by the contrast between Fado and the pacing of the music to which I am regularly exposed. Maybe it is down to just not coming across the right examples of Fado.

Grito makes Fado accessible for someone like me, because the song structure and the music imparts energy and dynamism on a level that connects with me, so that I can appreciate the mournful qualities of the singing, a characteristic of Fado, but without it being personally experienced as too dirge-like.

This is in my top 3.
Happy that you like it, but this song isn't Fado... it's a power ballad with a bit of a Portuguese folk touch.

0scar

I absolutely love Grito and I think the performance in FdC was amazing, including the dancers - they should keep it the same in Malmö, except that I'm not too fond of it being so white. I personally think somewhat darker tones would fit the mood of the song better.

Laepo1

oh wow I heard many negative things about this entry: its boring, pseudo-artistic, a toilet break, pretentious, unnecessary messy and outdated; but that it has no melody it's actually the first time... and so out there i actually chuckled :rolleyes::rolleyes:xthink

Decayingbooks

As with last year, with RTP revealing the % of the televote is is possible to calculate how the results would have been if the televote points where proportional to how people voted rather than just adding the top 10 of the judges to the top 10 of the televote.

Song
Judges
% Televote
Televote
Total
Position
Change
iolanda - Grito
80​
16,29​
66​
146​
01​
=​
João Borsch - ...Pelas Costuras
33​
17,00​
69​
102​
02​
=​
Leo Middea - Doce Mistério
57​
9,17​
37​
94​
03​
=​
Buba Espinho - O Farol
46​
7,06​
29​
75​
04​
+2​
Silk Nobre - Change
43​
7,64​
31​
74​
05​
-1​
Rita Rocha - Pontos Finais
30​
8,51​
34​
64​
06​
-1​
Noble - Memory
18​
7,81​
32​
50​
07​
=​
Nena - Teorias da Conspiração
24​
5,82​
23​
47​
08​
+2​
No Maka ft. Ana Rita - Aceitar
14​
7,60​
31​
45​
09​
+2​
Rita Onofre - Criatura
32​
3,12​
13​
45​
10​
-2​
Perpétua - Bem Longe Daqui
7​
7,60​
31​
38​
11​
-2​
Cristina Clara - Primavera
22​
2,38​
10​
32​
12​
=​

Loindici

Veteran
Anyway, and sorry for the double posting: the detailed results have been posted. Iolanda also lost the televoting in the semis to Perpétua D:
Perpetua winning the semi televote but getting only 4 pts in the final I- how????

Lance Esgard

Happy that you like it, but this song isn't Fado... it's a power ballad with a bit of a Portuguese folk touch.
I stand corrected. Not being particularly familiar with Portuguese music, I conflated Portuguese folk music in general with Fado in general. Thanks for adding to my knowledge.

Iker

Veteran
No, because I couldnt find any Melody after 5 Listens.

Well ... that's harsh but I can see or maybe rather hear were you're coming from on that one. Not into it either and I usually dig Portuguese entries. It has though at least a few moments that impress me but I'm just not into this song. Altogether rather boring with a melody that is indeed though to recall for me either. And the instrumental is actually "just kinda there". A big step down from last year.

NemesisNick

The Portuguese national final, Festival da Canção 2024 Final, took place on Saturday 9 March 2024. Here is my video, containing my opinions on all twelve finalist songs, in order of performance (based on Festival da Canção 2024 Final performances), and my ranking from twelfth to first in My Eurovision Scoreboard.

Nemesis Nick Talks Eurovision: Festival da Canção 2024 Final Review

njdevils94

Veteran
A more detailed look at the semifinal splits.

Perpétua won the semi 1 televote. Silk Nobre won the tele-vote in the 2nd semi xrofl @MopManMoss

Iolanda 2nd in both the semi and final but steady throughout. No Maka feat. Ana Maria were second with the tele-vote in their semi. Maybe a bit of a surprise there. The juries pushed Nena and Cristina Clara to the final. Very happy they did for both.The biggest surprise would be how poorly Left. did in Semi 1.

GIff5QMWMAALX67

GIff5QaXAAEL7pG

MopManMoss

Veteran
A more detailed look at the semifinal splits.

Perpétua won the semi 1 televote. Silk Nobre won the tele-vote in the 2nd semi xrofl @MopManMoss

Iolanda 2nd in both the semi and final but steady throughout. No Maka feat. Ana Maria were second with the tele-vote in their semi. Maybe a bit of a surprise there. The juries pushed Nena and Cristina Clara to the final. Very happy they did for both.The biggest surprise would be how poorly Left. did in Semi 1.

GIff5QMWMAALX67

GIff5QaXAAEL7pG
Having read plenty about the carnation revolution over the years I understand that the Portuguese value democracy more than most however seeing that Silk Nobre won the semi televote I think they should go back to fascism

Laepo1

Having read plenty about the carnation revolution over the years I understand that the Portuguese value democracy more than most however seeing that Silk Nobre won the semi televote I think they should go back to fascism

Unfortunately your wish might be closer than you thing. The day after FdC the extreme right party got almost 20% in the legislative election.

MopManMoss

Veteran
Unfortunately your wish might be closer than you thing. The day after FdC the extreme right party got almost 20% in the legislative election.
Chega is bad but they aren't going to do a coup, far right is on the increase across Europe so atleast its not a uniquely Portuguese problem

What was the appeal of Silk Nobre though? He performed well but I have never disliked and FdC song more in my entire history of watching

mup

:pt: stays true to itself. I think FdC is about keeping the Portuguese tradition alive, not to conform to an international pop taste by changing identity to fit in, this might not translate into huge success in ESC each year but FdC is the Portuguese people's festival and some Portugal-loving people from abroad will appreciate their entries too.

As for Grito, it wasn't the song I liked the most but I listened to it a few times while reading the lyrics and I can appreciate their meaning. If it qualifies I hope that the juries will reward it, because it's competently sung and presented. As I mentioned in previous posts I also liked the lyrics of other entries and the intimate atmosphere evoked by some Portuguese songs.

DirtyFalcon

The song is art but i'm not feeling it that much sorry. However, the last seconds with the high note and the mysterious melody behind is much more my cup of tea. I wish the song would have stayed like that. I fear this song could be our Eaea of this year (without comparing the songs), meaning 2 art songs but not understood enough by the viewers. It could qualify but i think it would be very borderline. If Azerbaijan who's also in the first semi, releases a strong entry tomorrow, i feel like Portugal could potentially suffer from it and be a shock non qualifier in 11th place. She didn't win the televote in her semi-final and in the final of FdC so i'm a bit worried for her.

But if it goes to the final, it will do so well with the juries for sure ! I'm giving it a :4: because i recognize it's still quality.

Top Bottom