11 10.7%

8 7.8%

8 7.8%

• Total voters

escYOUnited

Administrator
Portugal-scaled.jpg

Frittella

I mostly lurk and never write on this forum for maaany reasons, but what I'm reading here made me laugh so hard I had to say something.

I second that Barbara's song is really cute but the stage is a complete mess, the choreo is overly complicated and distracting, and to make it worse the camera work was absolutely awful.
It does really remind of la la land, with the bench and her yellow dress and everything, but... how can you suggest her to be "la la land" idiot or have Barbara and the guy tenderly exchange eye contact when the song is about her dumping him for being an arsehole, treating her like some kind of trophy, when she was the one to "show him the world" and shared with him everything she loved?
She's basically insulting him the whole time?
I know eurofans never give a fudge about lyrics cause "LyRiCs ArE NoT iMpOrTaNt iN EuRoViSiOn" but come on, there is a reason why he vanishes from the stage. She dumped him cause he's an idiot!
Disappointed but deeeefinitely not surprised in the least

opinionsigotem

I am completely floored by the funereal high-camp experimental folk experience delivered to us by Filipe Sambado. How privileged we all are that such an artist would choose to enter a Eurovision national final. Goosebumps everywhere.

It's no surprise that Passe-Partout is the subject of great debate because it's clearly winning the whole thing (and is, in my opinion, one of the few songs we've heard that actually stands a chance at winning Eurovision outright). I will agree that the camera angles were off and the dancers came in WAYYYYY too early but that's not really relevant at this point, and I think that certain people saying it would come last in a Eurovision semi are being absolutely ridiculous :)

Medo de sentir as a package is ready to go even at this early stage and would get a safe result at the contest, but the Barbara train has already left Elisa in the dust I think. Movimento definitely worked better live, Mob worked that stage.

The correct four songs qualified. Blasted looked and sounded like embarrassing dads as I feared would happen (Rebelgium, indeed). Ian Mucznik was professional but chanceless. MEERA were very Eesti Laul (NOT THIS YEAR, THOUGH!)- 2cool for school but did not meet the measure performance-wise unfortunately. JJaZZ... no words, really. I hope they sue RTP.

RainyWoods

Croak-kay
Blasted had the best song for me there, but were admittedly quite a let down performance wise. The repeated "y'all ready to rise" interaction with your home audience of Portuguese people was just... kind of cringe.

mauve

Veteran
My favorite song was also Rebellion, but the performance wasn't doing it for me at all. Unfortunately. I have to rewatch Passe-Partout because this song was also among my favorites, but need to see the performance as I couldn't see the whole show last night.

BorisBubbles

Veteran
Here you go, mauve

Pretty charming, but I agree that the dancers add nothing of value. GET RID OF THEM. Let Bárbara enjoy her status as a free single munchkin.

mauve

Veteran
Now that I have listened and rewatched the performances from the qualifiers, none of them really convinced me. Even the performance of Passe partout (one of my faves before the show) didn't make it for me. Nevertheless, she was still the most tolerable. And I really don't understand the hype around Throes + The Shine. People seem to see something in that performance, but the music is rather boring.:(

mauve

Veteran
Here you go, mauve

Pretty charming, but I agree that the dancers add nothing of value. GET RID OF THEM. Let Bárbara enjoy her status as a free single munchkin.
Exactly. They should get rid of the dancers. That way, the performances would be miles better. Sometimes less is more.

opinionsigotem

Decayingbooks

I mostly lurk and never write on this forum for maaany reasons, but what I'm reading here made me laugh so hard I had to say something.

I second that Barbara's song is really cute but the stage is a complete mess, the choreo is overly complicated and distracting, and to make it worse the camera work was absolutely awful.
It does really remind of la la land, with the bench and her yellow dress and everything, but... how can you suggest her to be "la la land" idiot or have Barbara and the guy tenderly exchange eye contact when the song is about her dumping him for being an arsehole, treating her like some kind of trophy, when she was the one to "show him the world" and shared with him everything she loved?
I know eurofans never give a fudge about lyrics cause "LyRiCs ArE NoT iMpOrTaNt iN EuRoViSiOn" but come on, there is a reason why he vanishes from the stage. She dumped him cause he's an idiot!

To put it bluntly "Passe Partout" is a version of Netta's Toy for "smart" girls.
Instead of her pikachu she is going to take her Oscar Wilde home.
The female character in the song is basically a manic pixie dream girl character that got fed up with her dumb boyfriend.

Last edited:

Alaska49

portuguese is my first language, the meaning of the song is entirely lost in the staging as it is, and both being la la land idiots on stage is an easier way to show him being dumped in the end. don't be an asshole to people who definitely know more about this than you.

AlekS

Veteran
Blasted was the biggest disappointment for me.
Barbara was my #1 but this staging turned me off. Not even the dancers but her delivery.
Filipe is becoming viral in our ESC gay community for all the wrong reasons.
Throes + The Shine surprised me :love: ... M.I.A. meets TVORCHI (and the dude can sing). I'm slayed. So ready to give them 12 in the poll.

Citelis

Filipe was a positive surprise to me but i don't want to see him to winning FdC (he won't win anyway).

Mrm

Veteran
I'm not sure anything in Portugal after last nights results TBH! :(

If Homens de Luta can win FdC EVERYONE can.. :(

I simply don't trust Portugal at all.. sorry..

Citelis

Only Barbara and Elisa can bring a good result to Portugal. I need to wait the 2nd semi final to see if there is any surprise there but i doubt it. Sadly this year FdC is weaker than last year but still it can lead to a good result if Portugal is careful.

Mrm

Veteran
@Citelis

Do you like my HUGE fave who is in the 2nd semi - JimmyP?

Top Bottom