AlekS

Veteran
2012Logo_LondonOlympics.jpg
21700_2.jpg

2012londonstadium.jpg

649137755_1b57cdda2c.jpg

10495080-london-olympics-2012.jpg

object_26.1311798863.78731.jpg

Locations: London, The Isle of Portland in Dorset (Sailing), Manchester (Football), Cardiff (Football), Glasgow (Football), Newcastle (Football), Coventry (Football), Dorney Lake (Rowing, Canoeing), Hertfordshire (Canoeing)

Weymouth%20and%20Portland%20National%20Sailing%20Academy%20sits%20Parallel%20to%20Chesil%20Beach%20c%20Dorset%20Police%202011.jpg

CO_335x240_dorneylake-edpoi.jpg

133593.jpg

Millennium+Stadium+Tour+in+Cardiff.jpg

558169287_ef31403df9.jpg

St-James-Park1.jpg

the-ricoh-arena-268590327.jpg

old_trafford_1396521c.jpg

new-wembley.jpg

Possible musicians: Coldplay, The Beatles

Share news, your expectations, let's talk about anything Olympics related and those who've already gained Olympic licenses.

Measured qualifying standards:

ATHLETICS
athl.png

• A National Olympic Committee (NOC) may enter up to 3 qualified athletes in each individual event if all athletes meet the A standard, or 1 athlete per event if they meet the B standard. An NOC may also enter a maximum of 1 qualified relay team per event. NOCs may enter athletes regardless of time (1 athlete per sex) if they have no athletes meeting the qualifying B standard.
  • The qualifying time standards were obtained in various meets during the qualifying period that have the approval of the IAAF. The qualifying period for the marathon, walks and combined events is from Jan 1, 2011 to July 8, 2012, for all other individual events it is May 1, 2011 to July 8, 2012. Relay qualification is between Jan 1, 2011 to July 2, 2012.

SWIMMING
swimn.png

• A National Olympic Committee (NOC) may enter up to 2 qualified athletes in each individual event if both meet the Olympic Qualifying Time (OQT). 1 athlete per event can potentially qualify should they meet the Olympic Selection Time (OST) and if the quota of 900 athletes has not been met. NOCs may enter swimmers regardless of time (1 swimmer per sex) if they have no swimmers meeting either standard entry time.
  • The qualifying time standards must be obtained in Continental Championships, National Olympic Trials or International Competitions approved by FINA in the period March 1, 2011 to July 3, 2012.

Last edited:

vatroslav_cro

Croatia/ Kroatien/ Croatie/ Croacia/ Croazia/ Hrva
You stole my idea! No! I wanted to start this topic, but in the beginning of the next year or something, because it seems a bit too early now. Tsk tsk, Aleks Aleks...;) idea-stoler lol:D:p

MyHeartIsYours

Im very excited about this of course, it feels great being the host country! :D I still remember how exciting everything was and everybody was on 06/07/05, I was in French class in my second year of secondary school when I found out about it :lol:.
Tbh, being not such a sporting person, the bits Im excited about are the opening and closing ceremonies but of course I will watch some of the sports too ;). Also I think that the economy it will generate and the improvements it has already brought to the country and London in particular is great and much needed!

vatroslav_cro

I ll write more about this when all the sporsmen (athletes) from my country will be qualified, when they fulfil the olympic norms. But of course, I hardly wait for it already:).

AlekS

Veteran
Lulz, sorry Vatroslav :*) :D
this is THE time... national championships and world championships, time for licenses.

Speaking of. We gained 142 licences as of today. 71 (one half, lol) in athletics. Do you think that sportsmen who show high results @ national championships suck on Olympics?

AlekS

Veteran
Im very excited about this of course, it feels great being the host country! :D I still remember how exciting everything was and everybody was on 06/07/05, I was in French class in my second year of secondary school when I found out about it :lol:.
Tbh, being not such a sporting person, the bits Im excited about are the opening and closing ceremonies but of course I will watch some of the sports too ;). Also I think that the economy it will generate and the improvements it has already brought to the country and London in particular is great and much needed!

Will you watch it on the TV?
I heard that all tickets are sold out already O_0

Interrail

I think also it's not too early for 'Olympics 2012' thread, countdown already begun:D less then a year...;)
Can't wait!

Interrail

Lulz, sorry Vatroslav :*) :D
this is THE time... national championships and world championships, time for licenses.

Speaking of. We gained 142 licences as of today. 71 (one half, lol) in athletics. Do you think that sportsmen who show high results @ national championships suck on Olympics?

Wow, so much athletics in Ukraine!:D
Where do u see how many licences (olympic norms) a country gained so far?
I don't see connection between sportsmen who get high results at NC that they'll suck on OG. I think those who prepare best, they perform best.

doctormalisimo

On the 4th of June 2012, the Olympic Torch will pass through my town :mrgreen:
I'm so excited to see it, it will really be a once-in-a-lifetime event to have the torch pass down these streets.

Sabiondo

Im exaiting for China and US domination on Olympic games as well :) im sure that they will Dominate again their 2 first places :)

AlekS

Veteran
I think also it's not too early for 'Olympics 2012' thread, countdown already begun:D less then a year...;)
Can't wait!

+ we have Euro 2012 thread so why not Olympics in London )))

Wow, so much athletics in Ukraine!:D
Where do u see how many licences (olympic norms) a country gained so far?
I don't see connection between sportsmen who get high results at NC that they'll suck on OG. I think those who prepare best, they perform best.
I found it in the press release of our National Olympic Committee, found it on 1 news site. I assume you can check such info on your NOC's site.

If you follow sports news you can find out particular names from the press. For instance the National Athletics Championship is happening right now, tomorrow is the last day and I can follow all the results online.

Even if you don't know which results guarantee Olympic Licenses you can compare them to official standards:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Qualification_for_the_2012_Summer_Olympics
I'll add them to the 1st post.

The thing is, no matter how hard you prepare your physical opportunities aren't endless even if you recover on the best base. So I'm wondering if sportsmen can "burn out" in a year.

MyHeartIsYours

Will you watch it on the TV?
I heard that all tickets are sold out already O_0
Yep I will have to watch it on TV, they are all sold out but the whole ticket process was an absolute mess. They used a ballot system and so many people who applied havent been given tickets and as it wasnt first-come-first served, some people who applied earlier havent got tickets whilst those who applied later have. I think there are some ticket-less events that you can just turn up at (the outdoor ones mainly), I might go to one of them but Im not sure (for me it'd just be a brilliant excuse to go to London for a break :mrgreen:).
Like David, I'll most probably go to see the torch though :D! If Im at Uni in Bangor then it gets there on 28 May but if Im still in Manchester it's here on the 23 June.

CPV4931

I´m looking forward to it :-) I hope, the German athletes will do a bit better than in Beijing 2008.

AlekS

Veteran
We used to get 23 medals per each Olympics until Beijing - 27.
Our worst performance was in Sydney... 3 gold, 10 silver, 10 bronze...
I really hope that we can gain 27+ in London.

As for athletics, there's a little improvement. Few years ago we had big reforms and a lot of Olympic medalists retired and the amount of talented youth increased a lot.
For instance... we set the incredible national record in men's triple jump on the European Youth Championship (less than 23yo)... the guy set the 2nd best result in the world.

We have naturalized sportsmen as well. Chinese boy in table tennis, 1 guy from Sudan in triple jump, Dutch and German sportsmen in equestrian, Finnish sportsman in triple jump. All of them got Ukrainain citizenship and represent us for years.

My fave events - all of them. I used to dislike team events but when our girls could earn gold in handball (Athens) I changed my mind (and almost got 2 heart attacks when we lost but managed to earn bronze instead :lol: ). I watch them even if our team doesn't participate, my most fave teams are ... Italian (m) and Russian (w).
In Beijing I really enjoyed tennis (Bondarenko sisters vs. Wiliams sisters :lol:) and fencing. Marathon during sand storm. Numerous doping scandals. Our total flop in swimming - wondering if we learnt that lesson. Wondering about Chinese domination. Wondering if Bolt will beat his own records and if Phelps will recover after the recent World Championship, Lochte is my new hero :*)

Last edited:

LokoFan444

Im exaiting for China and US domination on Olympic games as well :) im sure that they will Dominate again their 2 first places :)

I think most likely it will remain the same domination....at least from Russia wonders think we should not expect us to at least 3rd place to take.Russia has big problems with the development of sport and everything is kept only on the enthusiasm of players and coaches to support virtually not...

The only really want to hope that our triple jumper Aleksey Fedorov (who engaged me in an arena) will be able to perform adequately at the World Championships and later at the Olympic Games!

aletem

I will be cheering for Canada to get more medals than they usually get. And I will also cheer for the hosts. They proved in China that they should be counted for the top, so I think that Great Britain will end in the top3 at the end. As for Macedonia, well I don't have any expectations. So far there is no single athlete that has been confirmed to participate. My hopes are on the Male Handball team (good chance), the Male Volleyball team (lowest chance here), the Male Waterpolo team (good chance) and the Male Basketball team (decent chance?). I know the chances are slim for any of those teams to make it to the Olympics, but I hope they give their best.

doctormalisimo

we got 3 medals (1 silver, 2 bronze) in Beijing, all of them in boxing
we got 1 medal (gold) in Athens for show jumping, but it was stripped because the horse was on drugs :(

So for 2012, I'm optimistic. Athletics (especially the walking races) and boxing seem our best hopes of gold :mrgreen:

MyHeartIsYours

Great Britain came 4th in 2008 with a total of 47 (19G, 13S, 15B). I hope that we may get second or third in 2012 as countries tend to do better on home soil and we only need 4 more Gold's to overtake Russia - I expect there will be a decline in China's medals and the United States will come first. I doubt that GB could overtake the US but who knows, maybe we could win? :D

vatroslav_cro

In 2008 we reached five medals in total, just like in Athens for years before.

Golden medals: none, althogh we really hoped that Blanka Vlašić will win it in high jump, but stupid Tia Hellebaut jumped like a goat that day and unfortunately took the golden medal in the end, although they both jumped over 205 cm, but Blanka had one attempt more in the lowest heights ... :( aaaaaaa ... I was really mad .... so this task (reaching the gold) remains for the next olympic year. I really believe she can do it! BLANKA BLANKA!!!!! :):cool:

Silver medals: Blanka Vlašić, Filip Ude (gymnastics, pommel horse), Sandra Šarić and Martina Zubčić (taekwandoists).

Bronze medal: Snježana Pejčić, shooting (airgun 10m). It was kinda surprise, anybody expected her to win it, since it was her first perform.....but she did it:)!

I hope for improvement and bit better results in London:)
GO CROATIA!xcheers

Last edited:
Top Bottom