3 1.8%

8 4.8%

• Total voters

ESC United Mod Team

Super Moderator

flag-800.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Fluke

Does anyone see this really not doing well outside of Nordic and Germanic countries? The rest of Europe just has no relation to this at all, they don't get any connection, any mood, it might just come across as weird and noisy to them.

Not sure and i'm pretty indifferent to it, it seems to have a lot of elements i should like but it's not engaging enough to me personally, though it's nice that they send something so different from the norm, it's just not in my favorites.

SpiritofKeiino

Does anyone see this really not doing well outside of Nordic and Germanic countries? The rest of Europe just has no relation to this at all, they don't get any connection, any mood, it might just come across as weird and noisy to them.

Not sure and i'm pretty indifferent to it, it seems to have a lot of elements i should like but it's not engaging enough to me personally, though it's nice that they send something so different from the norm, it's just not in my favorites.
I feel like its journey might be similar to Spain last year. A well received 'unusual' entry among the fandom that underperforms drastically at the contest.

Eaea flopped hard in the televote and got a moderate jury score. I do think Norway will do a bit better in the televote than Eaea and maybe worse in the jury.

rasmuslights

Veteran

idk, Slovenia is not really eastern but not western as well and I see this doing well in certain demographics. I think my dad would absolutely love this.

and also in Slovenia and also in a lot of eastern Europe we literally adore Nordic nature and mentality and this kind of reflects that.

I think it'll do decently enough.

jatojo

When I gave Norway an 8 a couple of months ago, I was convinced the song would be surpassed by at least 4-5 better songs later on. But ... that didn't happen! So Norway is my number one. Quite surprising to myself. But of course also disappointing - what a weak year this is proving to be.

Franzilein

One of those fan favourites that I have a hard time getting into. There's nothing I find particularly interesting about it; when you're used to melodic bangers like Nightwish's Last of the Wilds, Ulveham feels incredibly flat in comparison, grating even.

Add Gunnhild's voice-lines on top of that and it's the perfect unpleasant, irritating experience. An incredible singer who has to sing one hell of a nasty melody. I appreciate the Norwegian however, it's been almost twenty years since the last Norwegian song when it's such a wonderful language. 4 points.

jatojo

One of those fan favourites that I have a hard time getting into. There's nothing I find particularly interesting about it; when you're used to melodic bangers like Nightwish's Last of the Wilds, Ulveham feels incredibly flat in comparison, grating even.
It’s two very different approaches. The song you are refererring to is a Runrig kind of song. British-Irish folk rock. Ulveham is much more of a medieval folk song, with the explicit reference to a special type of singing in the intro (a sample from an old recording). The lyrics are to a large extent taken from an old (rather barbaric) folk song. The rock element has been added, like Go_A.

The melody in Ulveham is rather unconventional which is why the song probably won’t win Eurovision. But after the first listen I actually liked it, although I’ll not try to sing like her (for the sake of my neighbours).

Franzilein

It’s two very different approaches. The song you are refererring to is a Runrig kind of song. British-Irish folk rock. Ulveham is much more of a medieval folk song, with the explicit reference to a special type of singing in the intro (a sample from an old recording). The lyrics are to a large extent taken from an old (rather barbaric) folk song. The rock element has been added, like Go_A.

The melody in Ulveham is rather unconventional which is why the song probably won’t win Eurovision. But after the first listen I actually liked it, although I’ll not try to sing like her (for the sake of my neighbours).

I don't think there's an overall different approach, just that one is upbeat, the other isn't. But sure, there are better comparisons. We have bands like this in Germany, too.

My main point is: Medieval folk doesn't have to be as ear-piercing and simultaneously incredibly one-note as Ulveham and can involve more toned-down, yet generally more appealing harmonies without losing its "haunting" vibe (my own perception, of course). The fact that there is basically zero hype around this entry despite having such an overwhelming positive resonance among ESC fans kinda certifies this as the fanwank of the season to me, so I share your sentiment about this not winning.

But hey, maybe they'll surprise us all and can connect to the broader audience. They're similar to Switzerland in this regard I feel, the live performance will be very important.

Last edited:

jatojo

I don't think there's an overall different approach, just that one is upbeat, the other isn't. But sure, there are better comparisons. We have bands like this in Germany, too.

My main point is: Medieval folk doesn't have to be as ear-piercing and simultaneously incredibly one-note as Ulveham and can involve more toned-down, yet generally more appealing harmonies without losing its "haunting" vibe (my own perception, of course). The fact that there is basically zero hype around this entry despite having such an overwhelming positive resonance among ESC fans kinda certifies this as the fanwank of the season to me, so I share your sentiment about this not winning.

But hey, maybe they'll surprise us all and can connect to the broader audience. They're similar to Switzerland in this regard I feel, the live performance will be very important.
The big trend this year is the lack of strong melodies. I considered counting how many entries have a chorus with more than two or three notes. It’s not many. It seems the beat is becoming increasingly important in Eurovision. The Cha Cha Cha effect.

Lance Esgard

The big trend this year is the lack of strong melodies. I considered counting how many entries have a chorus with more than two or three notes. It’s not many. It seems the beat is becoming increasingly important in Eurovision. The Cha Cha Cha effect.
This is also a big reason why there is a segment of fans, myself included who find this to be a particularly weak year, despite in some ways having increased musical diversity.

jatojo

This is also a big reason why there is a segment of fans, myself included who find this to be a particularly weak year, despite in some ways having increased musical diversity.
True. I was thinking about La Noia today. It's a nice song, but there is no melody that "sticks". I will never go around humming that song.

Same goes for a number of the entries recently released in the south-eastern countries.

I believe we may well be seeing the most unmelodic Eurovision winner since Israel 2018.

Franzilein

Yeah, actually very true. I generally don't mind it, it works for a lot of songs this year for me, but in genres like medieval folk I prefer a more 'melodic' approach, otherwise it's just too jarring for my ears.

jatojo

Yeah, actually very true. I generally don't mind it, it works for a lot of songs this year for me, but in genres like medieval folk I prefer a more 'melodic' approach, otherwise it's just too jarring for my ears.
It is a "noisy" song, sure - that's the trend. I liked 'Hammer Of Thor' slightly more. I don't know why that song wasn't more successful. It was certainly not a typical pop song and yet quite melodic.

Datura

Dark horse!!!! Why's everybody sleepin on it?
I think its pretty underrated aswell. It totally stands out, i'm quite sure this will be top10 (maybe even top5). I just hope she sings it well, when she doesn't it's painful

toinou03

I must admit that I don't get the song. I know that Norwegians know what they do and that lots of people like it, so I respect. I have tried but it's not for me....

Seregil Korit

I'm genuinely conflicted on how this'll do at the final.
I could see it coming top 3 or pulling a similar robbery like Spain last year.
In a lot of ways, while not the same thing, it does check a lot of the boxes of bands like Nightwish, which are still quite popular in Eastern and Central Europe, not only Nordic countries. And it does stand out, out of the line up.
But also, I don't have faith in the general public..

Last edited:

empo21

Veteran
At the very least Norway has the Nordics so it won't receive 5pts from the televote ;-; but I think this has potential to reach 100 or more in the televote, not sure about jury though.

jatojo

At the very least Norway has the Nordics so it won't receive 5pts from the televote ;-; but I think this has potential to reach 100 or more in the televote, not sure about jury though.
I don't know if the Danish and Swedish televoters will back this up entirely. Maybe it depends on what is said about the song before the performance. If people know: hey, it's an old Scandinavian folk tale and all that -, then that will make a difference. But when the Danish jury announced their votes at the NMGP, Ulveham didn't get much.

Top Bottom