5 2.9%

17 9.8%

• Total voters

ESC United Mod Team

Super Moderator

flag-800.png

Last edited by a moderator:

ESC94

Today it was time for :nl: at the ESC kompakt songchecks 2024.

The verdict of the bloggers:

Benny - Thanks, Joost! Just in time before the European elections, we will hear this hymn to Europe at the ESC. Joost has cleverly linked this political statement with his personal story. And then there is the catchy song composition. Oh, I actually wanted to give 10 points, but I just convinced myself that that wouldn't be enough. :12:

Berenike - Techno isn't really my thing and the song didn't really convince me at the beginning. But the “Europapapapa” refrain is so extremely catchy and you immediately want to dance along. The more I hear the song, the more I appreciate it; “Europapa” has become a real catchy tune for me. The REAL catchy tune. I can also imagine that it will be very well received in the hall, and I'm looking forward to that. Furthermore, as a convinced European, I appreciate the message of the song. “Europapa” is not just a fun piece, but also has two levels behind it: the Europe message and the emotional message to his late father. :12:

Douze Points - This is the first ESC song that made it to the Après-Ski Party Schirmbar in Sölden before the event. This was of course also due to the many Dutch people present there during the week. And people haven't really joined in yet. Things could look different next year – if the song can be successful in Malmö. In the meantime, I'm having a lot of fun with it - the love for "Ö-ro-pa", the heavy instrumental part and the personal greeting to his father. :12:

Flo - The expectations were high and were completely met - “Europapa” caught me right from the start (and hasn't let go since). Extremely catchy, entertaining and perfectly done in its own way. This can only work and will be played a lot this year. :12:

Manu - I often get stared at in disbelief by work colleagues when I talk about the ESC. But just one day after publication, my work colleague came to me and stubbornly wanted to convince me that “Europe” would win the ESC. Located somewhere between melodic gabber and poppy techno, “Europapa” is initially a lot of fun. It will be exciting to see how this is brought to the stage vocally. Somehow, during the song, I always wait a bit for the “2 Unlimited” break at the end. And I admit – the emotional ending actually brought tears to my eyes when I first heard it. :10:

Max - As an old Europe and EU fan, what can I say when the likeable Frisian boy comes along with a European anthem? The happy sound, paired with Joost's rap talent and the Dutch language - it all just comes together and for me it all adds up to a hot title contender. But the highlight of the whole thing - and this is where I'm really looking forward to the performance - is absolutely the hardstyle part towards the end. Great cinema, Netherlands! And as I said, the message is still true... :12:

Peter - The student shared apartment in our house in the apartment above me is already celebrating Joost - for his ESC courage and the message of “Europe” even more than for the actual song. I also really like how the song celebrates the European ESC spirit, but after initial hesitation I go for the highest score, especially because of the last 30 seconds. If it comes across great on stage, this song will win a medal in the televoting. :12:

Rick - When I first heard it, “Europapa” was too blatant for me – but once you get into it, this article is simply perfect. Thanks to the techno elements and the potential for catchy choreo, the number is totally contemporary; Joost also exudes pure energy and an authentic attitude to life that screams “Netherlands”! The special thing about “Europa”: despite all the craziness, there is a serious message in the number, which will hopefully be conveyed understandably on stage. I love it more with every listen. :12:

Romeo

I’ve been convinced switzerland will win for months. Now I think this could win.

b4ld3r

From what I'm able to tell from the available clips, he teared up performing the outro both in Amsterdam and Stockholm. In Stockholm he adlibbed "This is for my parents, I miss my parents every fucking day, I miss them so fucking much" right before the gabber breakdown. Seems like we can look forward to quite an emotional performance. xheart

0scar

I never ever really believed we were in it to win it but.. are we? It is starting to itch a little with me.
Whatever happens though I'm really glad this is our entry for Eurovision because it's so incredibly Dutch and fun, it feels like everyone in the Netherlands is talking about Eurovision for the first time since we hosted

Iker

Veteran
I've listened today to the latest album of Joost Klein and I have to say that this song is better than all but one or maybe two tracks on Fryslân. I expected a stronger album but it wasn't bad, maybe not my kind of music simply or I'm too stuck up for it haha. It was pop with some trap and gabber mixed in. Best songs on it are IMHO: Fryslân bop & Joost Klein 4. Rockpauze, Antwoord and Disco Belgica were pretty bad.

b4ld3r

I'm obviously extremely biased as this is my favourite by far (together with Greece). But it feels like this winning would be the healthiest option for the future of the contest, this has the most obvious hit potential out of all the contenders and fits right in with the post-pandemic winners.

Ted Talks

I'm obviously extremely biased as this is my favourite by far (together with Greece). But it feels like this winning would be the healthiest option for the future of the contest, this has the most obvious hit potential out of all the contenders and fits right in with the post-pandemic winners.
Funny how we see things. I’ve said it before but I feel a Dutch win this year would set the contest back and be more harmful than good.

Of course there is the story to the song but will the general audience pick up on that in the final? I doubt it, especially when the song is presented in a joke way.

All it would do is ‘confirm’ to the general audience that this is what a ‘Eurovision song’ should sound like. The last few winners have been moving away from that preconceived idea for the betterment of the contest.

This winning, imo, would be a massive backwards step.

rasmuslights

Veteran

I lowkey agree. He's already popular across Europe, even some of my friends in Slovenia know him and his songs.

rasmuslights

Veteran
Funny how we see things. I’ve said it before but I feel a Dutch win this year would set the contest back and be more harmful than good.

Of course there is the story to the song but will the general audience pick up on that in the final? I doubt it, especially when the song is presented in a joke way.

All it would do is ‘confirm’ to the general audience that this is what a ‘Eurovision song’ should sound like. The last few winners have been moving away from that preconceived idea for the betterment of the contest.

This winning, imo, would be a massive backwards step.

I know what u mean but this is a very qualitative song, objectively speaking. The production on it is insane.

But tbh, I would be fine with all The Netherlands, Ukraine, Italy, France, Switzerland winning... As long as it's not Croatia.

Ted Talks

I know what u mean but this is a very qualitative song, objectively speaking. The production on it is insane.

But tbh, I would be fine with all The Netherlands, Ukraine, Italy, France, Switzerland winning... As long as it's not Croatia.
I’ve never criticised the production quality of the song tbh as it is a well put together song, I’ve just never liked it and what it’s doing.

To me, having a song that’s meant to be as deep and impactful as it is meaning wise but produced in the tacky, cheap early 00s era of Eurovision style doesn’t work for me. It’s something the contest moved away from good reason and should stay clear of.

It’s never felt genuine to me as a result. It’s felt a very cynical televote ploy kind of song. Croatia to a lesser extent is the same for me, but I find that way less annoying and problematic.

Of course all songs want to win the televote, but on the whole they don’t go about it like this anymore as the contest has (for the most part) moved on.

gigi_copp3

I am pretty confident this will win the whole thing. My only doubt is if he is actually capable to sing

Top Bottom