Contact us

Latin America in Eurovision (or Wordvision)

Do you thing that the Latin countries (Brazil, Mexico, Colombia, etc..) should join in Eurovision (o

• I don't know

0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Sabiondo

Do you thing that the Latin American countries (20 countries) may can join in Eurovision in the future..? I know that we aren't EBU area, but as Australia most likely will be locked competing for ever at ESC, ¿Will the Latin countries (like the mie - Venezuela) follow the Aussies steps and competing in Eurovision (or Wordvision)?.

After all like USA, we can watch the contest at 2 pm or 3 pm (A very comfortable time for us), but not early in the morning like Australia have to do. Besides of that, the Latinos we have many reasons to join in ESC or Worldvision because we are linked by Europe for more than 500 years and we have a better musical scene than :es: and :pt: speaking

Chile, Brazil and Cuba are EBU associated members and maybe one of one wil join at Song Contest in the future. :cool:

america-latina.gif

What you think..? :mrgreen:

MyHeartIsYours

Sorry, but this show how racist that you are. The Latinos has every right to participate in Eurovision as your Commonwealth Australia has, and we have some advantages that don't have if ever join on ESC or WVS.
It's racist not to want Latin America in Eurovision? :lol:

I've always said that I want Eurovision for Europe and "Europeans". So the Falkland Islands participating as part of the United Kingdom, and French Guinea as part of France, yes they're fine, but I dont believe that the rest of South and Central America fits that specific criteria, so it's a no from me personally. I dont want Eurovision to change into Worldvision either. If there is to be a Worldvision, Im all for that, but it should be a separate competition. That is where Latin America could participate.

tuorem

Why not :)
I wouldn't mind Mexico, Brazil and Argentina to begin with.
But sing either in Spanish or in Portuguese, no English please :mrgreen: (apart from Guyana)

GRE

Well, Australia broadcasts the contest for 30 years.
Kazakstan also is interested many years now.
Canada broadcasts the contest few years now.
But the countries from Latin America are not interested at all,
so at the moment i don't think there is realistic basis in the question.

popavapeur

i don't really mind. I like the contest for the competition thing and more contestants makes it more exciting in my pov. The actual worst countries will stay bad and the good ones will have to make some effort to keep their heads up in the game. Btw even for Australia, if they have to win, i'd like the contest to be hold in the country but with one rule : europe's time. So if we have to go in Sydney, the show will be in the morning there but at 21-20h here.

The only little thing i don't like about "foreign countries" is that i feel ESC like a sort of.. you know, family thing, we're between us, huge audience but not that wide. We're already a lot of countries but just what it's needed to not feel too big. I don't want the contest to be an olympic games of music, i like its "family" side. (Olympics games of music sounds pretty good to my ears at the same time imo :D)

tuorem

The only little thing i don't like about "foreign countries" is that i feel ESC like a sort of.. you know, family thing, we're between us, huge audience but not that wide. We're already a lot of countries but just what it's needed to not feel too big. I don't want the contest to be an olympic games of music, i like its "family" side. (Olympics games of music sounds pretty good to my ears at the same time imo :D)

This was true until this year. I had the same "family feeling" but, what can you do? If Australia is allowed to take part, so can the rest of the world. This was really the Pandora's box imo

Sabiondo

It's racist not to want Latin America in Eurovision? :lol:

I've always said that I want Eurovision for Europe and "Europeans". So the Falkland Islands participating as part of the United Kingdom, and French Guinea as part of France, yes they're fine, but I dont believe that the rest of South and Central America fits that specific criteria, so it's a no from me personally. I dont want Eurovision to change into Worldvision either. If there is to be a Worldvision, Im all for that, but it should be a separate competition. That is where Latin America could participate.

But Australia isn't European at all in my eyes (Except by their European origin population & because it was colonized by your country), and if they will came to stay in EUROvision, why not the Latin countries too (Who we more close geographically to Europe than Australia)..?

Its fair since we have a close relationship with Spain (Our Motherland), Portugal and Italy, and Eurovision its telecast every year by their channels (TVE & RTP International) early in the Afternoon here in America. Also as i said before, Chile, Brazil and Cuba are non asociated EBU memnbers like :au:, and i don't thing that EBU will refuse an petition from us to participate in any of both contest as guest, cause that i'm almost sure that will get support from :es:, :pt: and some European countries..

Sabiondo

But the countries from Latin America are not interested at all,
so at the moment i don't think there is realistic basis in the question.

Australia was watching ESC through BBC for over 20 years (From 1983 until 2003), then SBS began broadcasting the contest alone and in 2008 sent his first commentators

But TVE & RTP has almost 20 years telecasting live the contest for all Latin American countries via tv Cable, and many people awaits every Saturday afternoon to watch Eurovision for cheering the Spanish, Portuguese and now Italian songs (Our biggest European diaspora population living here), and even we have a precedent in 1979 with the Peruvian born, Betty Missiego.

I know that almost none of our public tv Channels are interested to take part yet, but will be a matter of time that with the flourishing ESC interest here, one of them applies as EBU non associated member and send their own commentators as :au: did.

Carrie

Australia is a one off. I don't want Argentina on the ESC stage, thank you.

MyHeartIsYours

But Australia isn't European at all in my eyes (Except by their European origin population & because it was colonized by your country), and if they will came to stay in EUROvision, why not the Latin countries too (Who we more close geographically to Europe than Australia)..?

Its fair since we have a close relationship with Spain (Our Motherland), Portugal and Italy, and Eurovision its telecast every year by their channels (TVE & RTP International) early in the Afternoon here in America. Also as i said before, Chile, Brazil and Cuba are non asociated EBU memnbers like :au:, and i don't thing that EBU will refuse an petition from us to participate in any of both contest as guest, cause that i'm almost sure that will get support from :es:, :pt: and some European countries..
There are four countries in the world which can be termed "European" but, that are actually well away from the continent - Australia, New Zealand, the United States and Canada. If they ever got independence, you can add Quebec and Greenland to those two as well.

You're right that most Aussies can trace their origins back to Britain, and the vast majority of those who cant can instead do the same to Ireland and Italy. But for me it's more about cultural relations. There is very little cultural difference between Australia and Europe (in particular Britain and Ireland), whereas Latin America has always been a fusion of Spanish/Portuguese culture and Ameridian culture. Latin American culture has become very distinct from Spain/Portugal, whereas Australian culture - though with its many quirks - is broadly the same as any other culture in the Anglosphere. If there was a country which had an incredibly similar cultural identity to Spain, then I would support it joining Eurovision. But I dont believe there is.

There is international backing for this view too. Here are the regions of the world, as defined by the United Nations:
400px-UN_regional_groups.svg.png

Australia, New Zealand, the United States, Canada and Greenland are all grouped with Western Europe, whereas Latin America is clearly divided from Latin Europe.

tuorem

[MENTION=5194]MyHeartIsYours[/MENTION]

I don't see anything in this map that prevents South America from participating like Australia: Morocco is in blue, Israel is in green and Russia/Eastern European countries are all red. All of these have took part at least once and have ties with Europe some way or another. If blue, red and green is ok, then pink shouldn't be an issue :lol:

MyHeartIsYours

[MENTION=5194]MyHeartIsYours[/MENTION]

I don't see anything in this map that prevents South America from participating like Australia: Morocco is in blue, Israel is in green and Russia/Eastern European countries are all red. All of these have took part at least once and have ties with Europe some way or another. If blue, red and green is ok, then pink shouldn't be an issue :lol:
- Eastern Europe is just as much "Europe" as Western Europe.
- Morocco and Israel are full members of the EBU and so have the right to participate (but actually Israel is considered to be part of the Western European region anyway).

We are talking about countries which arent full EBU members and are outside the European continent here.

Sabiondo

There are four countries in the world which can be termed "European" but, that are actually well away from the continent - Australia, New Zealand, the United States and Canada. If they ever got independence, you can add Quebec and Greenland to those two as well.

You're right that most Aussies can trace their origins back to Britain, and the vast majority of those who cant can instead do the same to Ireland and Italy. But for me it's more about cultural relations. There is very little cultural difference between Australia and Europe (in particular Britain and Ireland), whereas Latin America has always been a fusion of Spanish/Portuguese culture and Ameridian culture. Latin American culture has become very distinct from Spain/Portugal, whereas Australian culture - though with its many quirks - is broadly the same as any other culture in the Anglosphere. If there was a country which had an incredibly similar cultural identity to Spain, then I would support it joining Eurovision. But I dont believe there is.

There is international backing for this view too. Here are the regions of the world, as defined by the United Nations:

Australia, New Zealand, the United States, Canada and Greenland are all grouped with Western Europe, whereas Latin America is clearly divided from Latin Europe.

This a bullshit argument yours and i won't buy it. Spain & Portugal always have a close cultural identity to Latin America and its seems that you don't have any idea about it. We are not too distinct to Spanish/Portuguese except our different customs due the remoteness of our ancient metropolis. But some countries like Mexico, Argentina and Uruguay have similarities with the Spanish culture and their language.

The UN group map does not make any distinction on EUROvision than Geographic Location! :p

MyHeartIsYours

This a bullshit argument yours and i won't buy it. Spain & Portugal always have a close cultural identity to Latin America and its seems that you don't have any idea about it. We are not too distinct to Spanish/Portuguese except our different customs due the remoteness of our ancient metropolis. But some countries like Mexico, Argentina and Uruguay have similarities with the Spanish culture and their language.

The UN group map does not make any distinction on EUROvision than Geographic Location! :p
May I ask why you bothered to make a thread if you refer to alternative ideas to yours as "bullshit arguments"? I thought the very idea of a thread was for people to give their varying opinions, not just agree with you...

I never said that Latin America doesnt have similarities with Spain and Portugal, but those similarities have become too weak over time to warrant inclusion in a European contest.

Marcos

Turkey, Western European? WE did it boys.

tuorem

Turkey, Western European? WE did it boys.

See? :lol:, I fail to see obvious culture similarities between Australia, Turkey and Finland, but whatever!

- Eastern Europe is just as much "Europe" as Western Europe.
- Morocco and Israel are full members of the EBU and so have the right to participate (but actually Israel is considered to be part of the Western European region anyway).

We are talking about countries which arent full EBU members and are outside the European continent here.

Yes, that's why I meant, this map isn't really appropriate when it comes to Eurovision.
Australia is an associated member of the EBU and is outside the European continent, and so are Brazil, Chile and Cuba in Latin America.
I've read somewhere on the forum one of their spokesperson already noticed Canada, China and South Africa's interest in the contest and tried to know what to do with them in the future, so provided there is some interest in other associated members, everything's possible now.

By the way, Georgia is not even a full EBU member, I didn't know that :eek:

GRE

Australia was watching ESC through BBC for over 20 years (From 1983 until 2003), then SBS began broadcasting the contest alone and in 2008 sent his first commentators

But TVE & RTP has almost 20 years telecasting live the contest for all Latin American countries via tv Cable, and many people awaits every Saturday afternoon to watch Eurovision for cheering the Spanish, Portuguese and now Italian songs (Our biggest European diaspora population living here), and even we have a precedent in 1979 with the Peruvian born, Betty Missiego.

I know that almost none of our public tv Channels are interested to take part yet, but will be a matter of time that with the flourishing ESC interest here, one of them applies as EBU non associated member and send their own commentators as :au: did.

So, if any latin country is interested, it's ok for me, as guest country at the moment.
My opinion for Eurovision the upcoming years is to accept each year one guest country from the rest of the world.
This year Australia, next year Canada or Kazakstan? So why not latin american countries :)

GRE

Some people can't undestand that in the same way Australia-New Zealand-Canada-USA are connected with UK,
Latin American countries are connected with Spain & Portugal.

Top Bottom