11 8.5%

13 10.0%

10 7.7%

• Total voters

ESC United Mod Team

Super Moderator

flag-800.png

han-g

Man, nobody will vote for Tali because of her Israeli roots. She is not representing Israel.
From Semifinal 1, the locks so far are Lithuania, Ukraine and Croatia.
Um yes they will, there are just as many pro Israelis out there as there are pro Palestinians. They will be annoyed that there is a Palestinian in the semi and vote for the Israeli. Most commentators will happily reveal their nationalities to the audience because broadcasters who can make a profit off phone calls will be seeing €€€€€€€€€€€€

I do agree that Croatia is also a lock but that's not because of a televote advantage.

I also think Finland is a very likely qualifier too.

ag89

Luxembourg is also going to be a lock as whether Israel participates or not Tali will get the pro Israel vote if Bashar is competing in the semi.

Then we have Ukraine who have a massive diaspora in all european countries.

Then we have Lithuania who have drawn a very lucky semi with that diaspora plus have a quite popular song with the fandom

This Then leaves 6 spaces for the others.
A very few people outside Eurovision community (ie most voters) will be aware Tali has something to do with Israel. She will not be affected positively nor negatively about the fact she has Israeli roots.

han-g

A very few people outside Eurovision community (ie most voters) will be aware Tali has something to do with Israel. She will not be affected positively nor negatively about the fact she has Israeli roots.
Commentators will inform them encouraged by those networks who can get €€€€ from the televote.

BTW Bashar is also reliant on commentators telling people he is Palestinian as the majority of the audience won't know this either

DirtyFalcon

Well at least Iceland will also be a first time winner so we're good i gas
Well, it would be a first victory but with a bitter taste and without much merit in the end. Bashar song is not bad
but without the actual context in Palestine, he would struggle to qualify on the 1st semi final.

Luxembourg is also going to be a lock as whether Israel participates or not Tali will get the pro Israel vote if Bashar is competing in the semi.

Then we have Ukraine who have a massive diaspora in all european countries.

Then we have Lithuania who have drawn a very lucky semi with that diaspora plus have a quite popular song with the fandom

This Then leaves 6 spaces for the others.
Luxembourg a lock? I would not be so sure about that. The commentators on the TV would need to mention that she's Israeli. They would do it for Bashar because there will be a lot of dicussion about his participation to Eurovision if we wins and accepts to go. Discussions about Tali having Israeli roots will be overshadowed by Luxembourg come back.

Baby lasagna isn't going to come close to winning lol
His song is a huge televote magnet like Cha Cha Cha so he would easily compete. But it's not the topic here.

han-g

Luxembourg a lock? I would not be so sure about that. The commentators on the TV would need to mention that she's Israeli. They would do it for Bashar because there will be a lot of dicussion about his participation to Eurovision if we wins and accepts to go. Discussions about Tali having Israeli roots will be overshadowed by Luxembourg come back.
If they will do it for Bashar they will do it for Tali. Many broadcasters can make a profit and will be seeing €€€€€€s out of this Israeli vs Palestinian conflict they will be narrating to the audience.

Other broadcasters might use this as a litmus test for their viewers, which side should they be portraying as sympathetic. Trust me Tali's nationality is going to get mentioned alot.

Also broadcasters will probably want to give luxembourg what boost they can so that eurovision gets to keep them

Please note I'm not saying that this is Tali's or luxembourg's intention, but I do believe they will benefit from this situation greatly.

Last edited:

JSSArcos

I can't imagine the Iceland receiving a maximum vote or TOP 3 in Portugal just because one of the commentators mentioned that he is Palestinian. If it were clearly biased... perhaps, but that would likely lead to accusations (as has happened in previous years). I think if there were a mobilization by a pro-Palestinian political party or some direct group, it might have some impact, but I don't see that happening in Portugal. We'll see later.

And when we talk about the jury, we cannot assume that all jurors are pro-Palestine or merely unprofessional
We know that these factors have an influence, but I don't see them as impactful as some people are making them out to be.

JSSArcos

I finally heard the songs, my top 5:

1-ANITA - Stingum Af / Downfall
2-Sigga Ózk - Um Allan Alheiminn / Into the Atmosphere
3-Bashar Murad - Vestrið Villt / Wild West
4-Hera Björk - Við Förum Hærra / Scared of Heights
5-VÆB - Bíómynd / Movie Scene

Decayingbooks

JSSArcos

@Decayingbooks

First, the news came after Zorra won Benidorm (different from the case)
Second, we have a much closer relationship with Spain

I didn't know that, interesting.if Icelandic music makes it in, let me know. Thanks

Romeo

Will the EBU reject 'wild west' because of the politically motivated lyrics? These lyrics are blatantly political where as the Israeli lyrics (both songs) are "possibly interpreted as political"

Romeo

"October Rain"
So Israel are never allowed to send a song using October?

Would they be allowed to send "Autumn leaves"? October is is autumn... Leaves fall off trees which is clearly a metaphor for the fallen when Hamas attacked. Would that song get rejected too?

Sararl

Do you mean Palestine? :rolleyes:
Bashar is a Palestinian person representing Iceland.
Celine Dion is a Canadian person that represented Switzerland when Switzerland won.
So, yes, if Bashar, a Palestinian, with a song written and produced by Icelanders, goes through to Eurovision and wins, ICELAND will be a first time winner.

Lolinna

I have to admit that i am surprised of the fervor regarding Bashar Murad song. It's not the first time that there is a song in the competition that has a politcal leaning when it comes to voting. I mean, EBU can say that the competition is apolitical, but we are all political in nature.

The ones that are not satisfied that a Palestinian is possibly taking part in the contest in Iceland, are expressing their political stance in that matter. I mean, if this was someone from the US, with a good song, I don't think there would be that much heated conversation even if it stood a change of winning the chance to compete for Iceland.

I have up til now, not had a black-white view on the situation regarding Israel-Palestine, but I in no way think it's justifiable what the Israelis are doing in Gaza. That doesn't mean that I will be voting for Bashar only based on that. If the song wasn't good, I would not be voting for it. That doesn't mean that some other people will not do just that. But like I said earlier, it's not like that hasn't happened before, and will happen again in the future.

But I am very surprised how many are listing this song as their least favorite song in the final. I guess that my musical taste is totally different from so many of you :sneaky:

Kruto

As a Hatari fan, I am biased ofcourse towards Bashar. But I genuinely like the song, very catchy, love the bassline, the humming, his voice and the fact that Andrean(the tall male hatari-dancer) is one of the dancers and did the choreo. Great to see no-mask Einar as the bullriding guitarist. For me a no-brainer, Iceland, vote Bashar! (the other songs are not for me at all)

toddi__b

I have to admit that i am surprised of the fervor regarding Bashar Murad song. It's not the first time that there is a song in the competition that has a politcal leaning when it comes to voting. I mean, EBU can say that the competition is apolitical, but we are all political in nature.

The ones that are not satisfied that a Palestinian is possibly taking part in the contest in Iceland, are expressing their political stance in that matter. I mean, if this was someone from the US, with a good song, I don't think there would be that much heated conversation even if it stood a change of winning the chance to compete for Iceland.

I have up til now, not had a black-white view on the situation regarding Israel-Palestine, but I in no way think it's justifiable what the Israelis are doing in Gaza. That doesn't mean that I will be voting for Bashar only based on that. If the song wasn't good, I would not be voting for it. That doesn't mean that some other people will not do just that. But like I said earlier, it's not like that hasn't happened before, and will happen again in the future.

But I am very surprised how many are listing this song as their least favorite song in the final. I guess that my musical taste is totally different from so many of you :sneaky:
Given the amount of blind support for Palestine around the world, if this song gets selected it will be the winner of ESC which unfortunately, won’t be based on the song. Therefore I do not want a Palestinian to be selected not because he’s Palestinian, but because 1) the song isn’t good enough to win if it wasn’t sung by a Palestinian and 2) people are idiots.

Top Bottom