11 8.5%

13 10.0%

10 7.7%

• Total voters

ESC United Mod Team

Super Moderator

flag-800.png

han-g

This for me is the worst final (well, at least tied with Denmark) of the year. All these beige dance pop tracks and then Bashar being equally bland with his offering that goes nowhere (I like the cowboys though). None of these songs are abhorrently bad but they provide next to nothing. At a push I'd say Anita is the best on offer.

I chose not to comment on any of this stuff until now but I just have to say how stupendously cunning it was to invite Bashar to the selection. All these people and artists in Iceland protesting the country's participation have no other option but to very politely STFU if (more likely when) Bashar wins next week. They can't deny the Palestinian man's journey to Eurovision. It's honestly a genius move. Although of course there's always the chance he'll win and then decline going which I'd at least respect as the first showcase this year of an artist with opinions on Israel's participation that's not actually just virtue signalling.
I prefer both iceland and Denmark to luxembourg, the fact luxembourg didn't let any of the artists compete with their own songs is appalling and the melfest rejects were universal. At least the songs in Denmark and Iceland feel authentic if a touch non competitive.

han-g

I have no problem with Bashar's inclusion in the NF or even if he eventually becomes the Icelandic representative. My only expectation and hope is that he will remain apolitical and truly use this opportunity to promote his music and representing Iceland authentically.

And if he ever uses this to ESC platform to politicize about the Gaza war, then I would expect the ESC community to call that out like what they did with Israel's supposed political entry.

Lastly, while we never know what is the Icelandic broadcaster's reason or intention of his inclusion, I can only hope they are not deliberately using Bashar to send a "anti-Israel" message. Because that would be LOW to utilize a Palestinian to further their own motive.
He applied before the present situation started so we can assume original intention was to use eurovision for his music (deadline to apply was september). Of course ruv selecting his song over others is possibly politically motivated and Bashar's own motivation may now have changed

han-g

Semi 2 wasn't as strong as the first semi for me so Bashar and Sigga (even if it was via the wild card) made sense as qualifiers. Hera has one of her weaker songs but she was always making it. I'm sad Sunny or Blankiflúr didn't get the Wildcard but not surprised. Especially Sunny as her song was one of the rare ones with only an Icelandic version.

Looks like will be getting 5 English songs in the final. I'd advise Sigga to keep her's in Icelandic so the Go Tiffany meme lives on and also because it sounds much better than the English version.
Vaeb are going with the Icelandic version

Laepo1

With the exit of Ceasetone i don't really have a favorite to root for. I guess the most memorable for me is Sigga

Sammy

Veteran
edit - my post was rather suitable in the politics section… gonna post it there.

Looren

Veteran
Relistened to Bashar's song, I like it more than first time I listened to it, it's catchy, would be fine with it winning

Still a shame he ditched Nafas which is simply gorgeous :(

Realest

Would like his Song more with a different Timing.

Seregil Korit

I was absolutely in love with a good half of the songs in this selection and none of them made it to the final. It's almost comical :ROFLMAO:

Thankfully, Bashar is there and I have someone to root for. Weirdly enough, I like the English version better which doesn't happen often - but it flows better. And I am obsessed with the production of the track.

DirtyFalcon

We can already say that Bashar Murad, if he wins and accepts to go to Eurovision is already a lock qualifier so in reality, we only have 9 qualifiers in the first semi. The international press is starting to speak about his presence to the icelandic NF, as well as calls to massively vote for him (without even listening to other songs or the final itself) are appearing from what i've seen on X. Iceland odds are already shortening massively as well (and it was only with his semi-final performance) so i can't even imagine what will happen when he win and accepts to represent Iceland. If I was a country like Croatia for example, who has his best chance ever to finally win Eurovision for the first time, i would be so pissed, and same for the countries that bring their A game.

And again it's nothing against Bashar Murad. He seems to be a genuinely good guy, as well as a great artist. His songs are good, his entry this year as well but not winner material. He's used as a puppet by the Icelandic broadcaster to put pressure on the EBU and he certainly deserves more than that.

hijirio

Veteran
If I was a country like Croatia for example, who has his best chance ever to finally win Eurovision for the first time, i would be so pissed, and same for the countries that bring their A game.

Well at least Iceland will also be a first time winner so we're good i gas

Loindici

Veteran
We can already say that Bashar Murad, if he wins and accepts to go to Eurovision is already a lock qualifier so in reality, we only have 9 qualifiers in the first semi. The international press is starting to speak about his presence to the icelandic NF, as well as calls to massively vote for him (without even listening to other songs or the final itself) are appearing from what i've seen on X. Iceland odds are already shortening massively as well (and it was only with his semi-final performance) so i can't even imagine what will happen when he win and accepts to represent Iceland. If I was a country like Croatia for example, who has his best chance ever to finally win Eurovision for the first time, i would be so pissed, and same for the countries that bring their A game.

And again it's nothing against Bashar Murad. He seems to be a genuinely good guy, as well as a great artist. His songs are good, his entry this year as well but not winner material. He's used as a puppet by the Icelandic broadcaster to put pressure on the EBU and he certainly deserves more than that.
Unfortunately, this reminds me of 2022. Maybe a few broadcasters already knew that nothing was gonna stop Ukraine from getting massive public support that year.

The issue with Bashar's participation is that he will be representing Iceland, not Palestine. While 'what-ifs' are usually weak argument standpoints...

... say Bashar represents Iceland and people voted on him for political reasons, would that vote be a form of support for Palestine, or for Iceland? Ever Iceland wins this year by his participation, what would it bring for him aside of getting his message across? Would Eurovision 2025 allow anything in his Palestinian identity to be presented aside of Icelandic culture?

This is tinfoil hat territory, but it's possible that Bashar was merely being there to gain RUV an easy win. I don't know how this would be more advantageous for Bashar and Palestine than RUV or Iceland.

Last edited:

han-g

Luxembourg is also going to be a lock as whether Israel participates or not Tali will get the pro Israel vote if Bashar is competing in the semi.

Then we have Ukraine who have a massive diaspora in all european countries.

Then we have Lithuania who have drawn a very lucky semi with that diaspora plus have a quite popular song with the fandom

This Then leaves 6 spaces for the others.

goncalovieira

Luxembourg is also going to be a lock as whether Israel participates or not Tali will get the pro Israel vote if Bashar is competing in the semi.

Then we have Ukraine who have a massive diaspora in all european countries.

Then we have Lithuania who have drawn a very lucky semi with that diaspora plus have a quite popular song with the fandom

This Then leaves 6 spaces for the others.
Man, nobody will vote for Tali because of her Israeli roots. She is not representing Israel.
From Semifinal 1, the locks so far are Lithuania, Ukraine and Croatia.

Top Bottom