Contact us

How many countries will compete in 2024?

crashworld

Veteran
Maybe they're waiting for so long because we will all be positively shocked by a number?

44?. The optimist in me is keeping the faith because hope never diesxbeach

More likely we are heading in the direction to get the least number of participants in recent years.
I wonder when is the cut-off date for confirmation.

Mainshow

Veteran
You can't imagine how much I want that but sadly it's not gonna happen, I'm not even sure our broadcasters know about Eurovision anymore :rolleyes:

I think we might have come-backs from North Macedonia and Bulgaria, the rest idk

I don't believe :ma: is coming back either but dunno, "returning countries from outside Europe" is such a strange comment to make - :kz: would be a debuting country and :au: took part this year (and therefore, can it really be labelled as a "returning" country?)

Anyway, 41 would be a strong number and it would explain why it takes so long for the EBU to announce the official list of participating countries - they clearly have been discussing/negotiating ESC with other broadcasters for a while now.

I didn't want to be optimistic but it gives me up that the number might be that high in the end (the French head of delegation wouldn't be lying, I assume)

rasmuslights

Veteran
They wanted to participate in 2005 and had already chosen an act but then withdraw because they didn´t wanna broadcast the Israeli performance.

Yeah, but Lebanon was better off financially in 2005 (at least I think so, please correct me if I'm wrong). They have the highest inflation rate in the world rn (barring Venezuela). But considering what is happening in Israel I don't think it's possible right now.

ESC94

Yeah, but Lebanon was better off financially in 2005 (at least I think so, please correct me if I'm wrong). They have the highest inflation rate in the world rn (barring Venezuela). But considering what is happening in Israel I don't think it's possible right now.

Yeah, thinking about :lb: debuting in this situation is a waste of time, won´t happen.

MAD20

From the countries that still have not confirmed, my guess is that Armenia, Romania, North Macedonia and Australia will be in, and Bulgaria and Montenegro will not return. Outside Europe I can only think about Kazakhstan, but their non-participation in this years JESC makes it unlikely. It would be great to have at least all countries in Europe in a near future participating, bringing all Slovakia, Hungary, Bosnia, Monaco, Andorra and Turkey back to the contest.

Mainshow

Veteran
37 for now (maybe 38 if :ro: can be convinced)

Today (05.12.), eurovision.tv/EBU just posted the official list of participants:
Public broadcasters from 37 countries will take part in the Eurovision Song Contest when the world’s biggest live music event is staged in Malmö, Sweden next May.

It's a great list so far (same number as last year) but after reading about potential returning countries, it feels a bit anticlimactic (?).

I fail to see how the EBU was not able to decrease the financial burden on the broadcasters - especially since :mk: and :me: somehow mentioned to be back whilst complaining about the huge costs for accommodation in Liverpool - Copenhagen/Malmö ain't more affordable, for sure.

It's great to see that :au: takes part again, though.

• Undo my Sad
Reactions: GRE

Realest

We have almost no Fillercountry. This will be one of the most competitive Years since Years.

I bims

Veteran
Disappointing that the number isn't increasing. Maybe at least Romania returns to make it 38.
I hope for 2025 to see an increase though. We will see Monaco return and Slowakia might also be able to come back.
Maybe they'll finally let Kazakhstan debut as well?

esc87fan

If Belarus gets their act together, they can also come back in 2025 as their suspension will be lifted next July

GRE

So much delay, for 37 countries ?
They could have announced this number since October.

Mainshow

Veteran
So much delay, for 37 countries ?
They could have announced this number since October.

They were still in talks with :mk: and :au: and :ro: at that time (confirmed by the head of delegations/the broadcaster and Eurovsion fan media)

I just don't get it why they wanted to release the list of participating countries now.
They could have waited until January - unless they want to put some pressure on the Romanian broadcaster?

Also, I think it would have been better to wait until the situation in Israel/the Middle East (hopefully) looks differently next month.

• Like It
Reactions: GRE
Top Bottom