14 8.8%

11 6.9%

17 10.7%

• Total voters

ESC United Mod Team

Super Moderator

flag-800.png

aef

Really? The Eurovision jury is notoriously making extremely weird choices and usually rewarding bland english pop songs. 2018 has to be the best example for that. Cesar winning the jury and Jessica Mauboy getting 90 points was insanity.
I‘m sorry but what on earth are you writing. How are you even putting these two songs in one box. Nobody but You had very, very good vocals, was a solid song, has good staging, all in all a strong jury package. It at least deserved to be top 5 with the juries. Personally it’s not my favourite kind of music but I really wouldn’t call this song bland?! It serves a lot of quality, no matter if you like it or not.

:au: had a totally different product. I would call this song bland, or at least very generic, without much personality and also weak vocals. But :au: has always been a jury pick, especially in the first years since 2015.

In general I‘m not defending the Eurovision jury but it’s not like they are voting all over the place without any sense like the :de: NF juries did.

I bims

Veteran
I‘m sorry but what on earth are you writing. How are you even putting this two songs in one box. Nobody but You had very, very good vocals, was a solid song, has good staging, all in all a strong jury package. It at least deserved to be top 5 with the juries. Personally it’s not my favourite kind of music but I really wouldn’t call this song bland?! It serves a lot of quality, no matter if you like it or not.

:au: had a totally different product. I would call this song bland, or at least very generic, without much personality and also weak vocals. But :au: has always been a jury pick, especially in the first years since 2015.
On its own "Nobody but You" is just some radio pop song 😐 Yeah Cesar and the staging elevated it but winning the jury? Meh. And just proves for me that the jury picking those english radio pop songs in our national selection is perfectly in line with the songs the jury in Eurovision likes.

And "We got love" was by far worse than "Nobody but you" and I wasn't really comparing them but just pointing out that the jury gave that poorly staged nothingburger of a song 90 points. So I don't see how the results of the juryvote in our NF are so much different, the Eurovision jury makes similar odd choices all the time.

Yoozek

Right, cause Imma believe this guy is always on the run, maybe on one of these electric scooters from Bolt.

Watched Ryk, he gave me Aminata vibes, the song was weird AF, but at least it left any kind of impression after listening to it. Can't say that about this one, yet another generic piece of cre-pe

aef

On its own "Nobody but You" is just some radio pop song 😐 Yeah Cesar and the staging elevated it but winning the jury? Meh. And just proves for me that the jury picking those english radio pop songs in our national selection is perfectly in line with the songs the jury in Eurovision likes.

And "We got love" was by far worse than "Nobody but you" and I wasn't really comparing them but just pointing out that the jury gave that poorly staged nothingburger of a song 90 points. So I don't see how the results of the juryvote in our NF are so much different, the Eurovision jury makes similar odd choices all the time.
Well I more or less disagree! I mean juries also voted in favour of :it: 2019 or :it: 2021 for example. They also showed decent support for :fi: 2022 actually. So it’s not just English radio pop songs all the time. But it’s okay if we have different opinions…

Bmbriga

It might be basic but he's a good performer. Isaak currently is in my top 10. Won't stay there for too long though I presume with other releases coming in the next few days.
I agree.
While I'm maybe not a huge fan of the song, he totally delivers, has a great stage presence and I looove his tone of voice.
And after initial disappintment that German Schlager Song is not going, I'm actually stating to warm up to the song.
I actually prefer it over Ryk.

mauve

Veteran
We honestly were lucky at least that Isaak won the jury quite decisively, and the ridiculousness "only" affected places 2-5. Imagine this (with random names as the top 4):

Jury points:

Max 60 -> 12
Ryk 60 -> 10
Bodine 59 -> 8
Galant 58 -> 6

Basically a tie, but resulting in Bodine and Galant basically having no shot.
And now, that's the tele:

Galant 50% -> 12
Bodine 40% -> 10
Max 2% -> 8
Ryk 1.9% -> 6

Overall:
Max: 20
Galant: 18
Bodine: 18
Ryk: 16

Granted, these are very specific numbers, but this System is wild. The issue here is also majorily tied to tele not being proportional, but no proportional televote can co-exist with that Jury point System anyway.

Honestly, last years system was muuuuuch better. But international juries need to go (try national or ESC fan panels even instead IMO), televote needs to be proportional, and televote needs to close before Jury results. And all of these feel like bloody no-brainers 😅
I also think that the International Juries need to go. The voting was chaotic, it felt like they voted what they like to listen to in their private time, but their duty is to pick the song that is most suited for ESC. Isaak? Max? really? They miserably failed.

BorisBubbles

Veteran
::you sit back in silence, realizing what mauve doesn't yet know. isaak will be doing a lot better in eurovision than ryk. you bite your tongue, however. sometimes being right is not worth the price of someone else's anguish.::

His NDR hate videos are so iconic at this point hahaha.

Heavy agree on the conversion of jury points into 12, 10, 8 etc.. Its beyond stupid and I hate it when national finals do this.

Disagree about his opinion on international juries. People always come out criticizing them whenever they dont support a fan fave. In most cases they are good simulation on how juries at esc might feel about a certain song.

Replacing them by 'expert analysts' or whatever he called them is stupid. Noone should make decisions based on betting odds. Betting odds only reflect where the money is heading, they dont evaluate musical quality. Doesnt mean the money is heading towards certain entries for absolutely no reason.
But at this early stage and in Ryks case the placement came mostly from fan hype and speculation it might do amazing with juries. Didnt happen in the german national final and would not have happened in Eurovision either.

Jupiter

I also think that the International Juries need to go. The voting was chaotic, it felt like they voted what they like to listen to in their private time, but their duty is to pick the song that is most suited for ESC. Isaak? Max? really? They miserably failed.

Yepp. We had three songs wary from 2 to 12 points (Katze, Oh Boy, Naiv), that's 8 out of 9 positions. Four other songs ranged from 3 to 12 (Tears like rain, Forever strong) or 2 to 10 (Undream You, Love on a budget) - that's 7 out of 9 positions. The only constant is Floryan being always last - remove the weaksauce Wildcard Song with zero staging, and 7 out of 8 contestants saw nearly every Jury placement possible. Ofc there should be variances between juries, but absolutely not to this extent. This random Chaos wouldn't happen with 'experts' voting with clearly defined criteria.

Max being 2nd with that song is pathetic. Yes, he's a great singer, but we had 2 others of those (Ryk, Bodine) with better Songs. And how on earth did 4 out of 8 juries place "Love on a budget" of all Songs ahead of "Oh boy"? Criticize all you like about Ryk being "too cold" or Oh Boy "too difficult", Love on a Budget didn't beat that in a single category (Ryk is a much better singer, LOAB basically had no staging, it's extremely ESC unfriendly etc). Or LOAB beating "Undream you" overall? I get why it had more televote appeal, especially in such a slow paced NF overall - but with the juries? Yikes.

International juries need to go away. There is no perfect System, but International jury are a clear no for me anyway.

mauve

Veteran
::you sit back in silence, realizing what mauve doesn't yet know. isaak will be doing a lot better in eurovision than ryk. you bite your tongue, however. sometimes being right is not worth the price of someone else's anguish.::
I will come back to you, Boris, once the ESC is over. ;) But after 3 days, I have actually cooled down a bit and "surrendered to Germany's fate".

200w.gif

mauve

Veteran
Max being 2nd with that song is pathetic. Yes, he's a great singer, but we had 2 others of those (Ryk, Bodine) with better Songs. And how on earth did 4 out of 8 juries place "Love on a budget" of all Songs ahead of "Oh boy"? Criticize all you like about Ryk being "too cold" or Oh Boy "too difficult", Love on a Budget didn't beat that in a single category (Ryk is a much better singer, LOAB basically had no staging, it's extremely ESC unfriendly etc). Or LOAB beating "Undream you" overall? I get why it had more televote appeal, especially in such a slow paced NF overall - but with the juries? Yikes.
Exactly. That's why I had the feeling that the Jury members voted for what they like in private, but not voted in favor of an ESC-song.
I don't understand that Leona came last. Yes, the song was uneventful, but objectively better than Floryan and NinetyNine. But what do I know? Maybe Isaak will stand out between many "crazy" songs in May, though I doubt it. Having a good voice isn't simply enough.
But, I am still glad we avoided Max. (Look I can be positive! 😂)

I bims

Veteran
We stopped falling in the odds and are actually slowly rising again. Crashed down to 20 but now back to 16.
But Armenia and Austria will definitely overtake us once their songs are out.

BorisBubbles

Veteran
I will come back to you, Boris, once the ESC is over. ;) But after 3 days, I have actually cooled down a bit and "surrendered to Germany's fate".

200w.gif
the best result since schulte should be doable, surely. the target to hit is 24th - and he's half-icelandic so he's getting something from them at least.

Jupiter

Exactly. That's why I had the feeling that the Jury members voted for what they like in private, but not voted in favor of an ESC-song.
I don't understand that Leona came last. Yes, the song was uneventful, but objectively better than Floryan and NinetyNine. But what do I know? Maybe Isaak will stand out between many "crazy" songs in May, though I doubt it. Having a good voice isn't simply enough.
But, I am still glad we avoided Max. (Look I can be positive! 😂)

I hope Isaak does better then we suspect, but I don't see him standing out in May tbh. "Oh Boy" or "Undream You" would have stood out on merit of being real ballads, "Katze" because it's truely it's own lane. "Always on the run" is very whatever IMO, and I fear Isaak will simply lose the vocals battle to Slimane too heavily to only rely on his voice. The biggest issue to me tho is how 100% unstageable AOTR feels. I can't think of a single thing to elevate it or make it pop. I'd be more optimistic if they'd revamp the song a bit with that in mind, but I don't expect it.
I am just back to hoping that Isaak can enjoy his experience and that people will leave him alone even if he comes last/bottom 5.

Also, random, but bcs sometimes I'm a spiteful little shit: I checked how the NF performances were doing on Youtube. And while Max has the 3rd most views among the non-winners (~95K, after Marie with ~111K and Ryk with ~180K) - he has a super low number of likes, way behind Ryk, Galant, Bodine and Marie. And the (I know not that trustworthy) dislike ratio app claims he has 22% likes, 78% dislikes. Well, that's the pay off for coming to an NF with a song that screams "I don't give a f about ESC" but then have all your famous friends beg for votes for you xcrazy

njdevils94

Veteran
Even the viewers vote was all over the place.

Ryk won the SMS voting. Max won the tele-voting. Isaak won the online voting (aka the one most likely voted on by the most foreigners).

Top Bottom