ESC United Mod Team

Super Moderator

flag-800.png

Decayingbooks

It could be coincidence. Or it could be because:
1.) It's completely different songwriters than back then
2.) The general level of pop music in the country is low these years
3.) The country has decided to only go with its own songwriters and artists

In terms of Denmark, all three criteria have played a roll the last four years, and I would imagine something similar is going on in Germany (and in Ireland etc.). However, the Germans tried to import a whole package from abroad this time - it didn't quite work.
I completely disagree with your third point, a nf should be representative of the music industry in each country, the problem is that in Germany that's seem to not the case and I'm not German, so I don't know exactly why that is, but the vibe I got is that the record labels have hijacked the nf as a way to promote new artists domestically, rather than what they actually should be doing, using the nf and the eurovision stage to promote well established german artists internationally.

Franzilein

Kinda have to admit my favourite performance was

giphy.gif

The only time where I didn't feel like falling asleep, Galant are a very entertaining pair.

Instead we got

tumblr_nghe06Onm51rwfctbo1_1280.gifv

Well, vocally Isaak was clearly the best, what a voice. But his song is just one huge "eh, fine I guess", which is probably the worst thing you can say about an ESC entry. Gives me Jurij Veklenko (Lithuania 2019) vibes. Charismatic dude who can sing, but a standard radio song with some "tribal sounds" that ultimately goes nowhere.

Could smell Ryk being a "community-favourite only" from a mile away though, my guy radiates a whole lot of nothingness. Especially ballads rely on a lot of emotions, but if you lack any kind of stage presence, it's hard to feel anything if the music itself ain't convincing enough.

mauve

Veteran
First: I still think personally that Ryk had the best package of songl But in my eyes he failed to deliver the message of rejected love because his presence felt cold and too rationalized on stage. Where was his emotion? But he could have worked on it until May. It was yet the best package we had. I am sure about it.

I think the second best was Galant. Yes, ar ESC it could have been a hit or miss. But it stood out from the rest of the radio friendly songs. It was well delivered!

I am glad that neither Marie nor Max managed to receive the 12 points in televoting despite the promo they did. Justice served.

Isaak. Yes, he has a hell o a voice, but that won't be enough in May. The song is basic and - as harsh as it sounds, he doesn't has charisma. But worser: there was no staging concept. I hope he will work on a concept to make this song more dynamic until May by a better staging. But let's face it: We are back at the bottom.

Will give friendly :7: points.

Last edited:

heke1988

:6: for me. Good voice, but song is too much repetitive.

FilipFromSweden

Reading about the uproar ... Ryk wasn't that amazing to me? Seems more like a vocal show off than a song. I prefer Isaak

BorisBubbles

Veteran
Reading about the uproar ... Ryk wasn't that amazing to me? Seems more like a vocal show off than a song. I prefer Isaak
He was bad, period.

That song requires a strong vocal with clear pronounciation. What we got was thin and mumbly, and he wore some ugly v-neck pijamas to look even more unvoteable.

I would have chosen Bodine, but Isaak was the only other person with stage presence. When in doubt, pick someone who can perform, I guess. That usually works out well (unless you're Romania...x)

Last edited:

sigi

The song is middle of the road. I expect a top 10 place with from juries and 5 points from televote.

4 points from me

As expected, Ryk couldn't perform the song well live but Katze was amazing and even Marie Reim had a good staging.

ManiaMuse

Absolutely. Ultimately, the conclusion I'm drawing from all of this is the same I had when we were researching the entries. We are in no state to host a national final at the moment. The quality is just not there. And sure, NDR made some boneheaded decisions over the years, like that ridicilous radio concept the year Electric Callboy applied LMAO, but I genuinely think the quality of applications is pretty terrible. The field is just not deep. Add to that the uselessness of the ARD audience. I was curious to see the bubble's strength but they were not even able to push their favorite to the top at 0:15 am against the average ARD mom's favorite acts... we really should go internal, even if I love national finals as a fan obviously.
That's a good point. The jury/public can only pick from the songs that are put in front of them. If you give them 9 mediocre songs to listen to you are still going to end up with a mediocre song.

HarryUK

Veteran
:4:

It feels like a recycled James Newman stage presence mixed with Michael Rice’s vocals package for me. Put that in your magic Eurovision cauldron and you get Isaak aka pound shop rag and bone man

ayzelto

:4:

It feels like a recycled James Newman stage presence mixed with Michael Rice’s vocals package for me. Put that in your magic Eurovision cauldron and you get Isaak aka pound shop rag and bone man
I actually feel bad for this guy... But yeah, you are right. At least I hope they don't put huge trumpets on stage :eek:

Rocket man

The thing is for me, the song isn't bad, it's a listenable, radio-friendly song performed by a decent singer. The problem is after watching the performance, would I want to listen to the song again, no, not because I dislike it, but because it's just not that interesting to me.

But after saying all of that, I think back to other countries that had sent entries that had made me feel the same way, and curiously they never do anywhere as bad as Germany does by coming last or near the bottom. So I do think it is unfair that Germany seem to get singled out when other countries send mid, 'meh', songs and it's not so much of an issue for the juries in the final.

Realest

13th/14 at Eurovision Scoreboard.
From 7 to 9 in the Odds.
41% of the Eurovisionario Community gave 1 of 4 Stars.
4,15/12 Rating at ESCUnited.
Another Year, where we Germans cant be proud of our Entry.

Top Bottom