11 7.5%

17 11.6%

• Total voters

ESC United Mod Team

Super Moderator

flag-800.png

A-lister

Veteran
Well, the word "bland" perfectly describes all her songs, but if you don´t speak German it´s easy to see a "masterpiece" in it.
But that's the whole thing, the entry in Eurovision would be sent to mostly non-German speakers to judge, so if they would see "masterpiece" is what counts here if you want success... Nonsensical lyrics is not a problem in this case and frankly most of Eurovision entries have nonsensical lyrics, in particular the English language ones so... Hardly something majority watching care about anyways. It's about having a catchy memorable entry, not a poetic masterpiece.

Tbh I am trying to come up with ideas that could help Germany, since the current approach clearly doesn't work.

What some locals might find "silly", foreigners could appreciate or even find "exotic".

ESC94

But that's the whole thing, the entry in Eurovision would be sent to mostly non-German speakers to judge, so if they would see "masterpiece" is what counts here if you want success... Nonsensical lyrics is not a problem in this case and frankly most of Eurovision entries have nonsensical lyrics, in particular the English language ones so... Hardly something majority watching care about anyways. It's about having a catchy memorable entry, not a poetic masterpiece.

Tbh I am trying to come up with ideas that could help Germany, since the current approach clearly doesn't work.

What some locals might find "silly", foreigners could appreciate or even find "exotic".

Well, just trust the locals once. ;)

A-lister

Veteran
Well, just trust the locals once. ;)
... and we've seen the results of that for the past decade.

Seriously Germany is so bad in Eurovision your broadcaster /Eurovision delegation almost need a conservatorship :lol:

ESC94

... and we've seen the results of that for the past decade.

Seriously Germany is so bad in Eurovision your broadcaster /Eurovision delegation almost need a conservatorship :lol:

Well, if you "help" means sending bland and stale Schlager then I say the following: "Nej tack!!"

Last edited:

A-lister

Veteran
Well, if you "help" means sending bland and stale Schlager then I say the following: "Nej tack!!"

If I'd get my hands on German selection you'd be back in the top. 10 in no time, I'd even do it for free.

Schlager, Techno, Real rock, Electro... Play to your strengths.

ESC94

If I'd get my hands on German selection you'd be back in the top. 10 in no time, I'd even do it for free.

Schlager, Techno, Real rock, Electro... Play to your strengths.

Go to the Reeperbahn in Hamburg, you´ll get overrun by customers. :ROFLMAO:

But seriously though, most famous musicians wouldn´t go to Eurovision even if our broadcaster wouldn´t be this incompetent, the image of the contest isn´t the best in Germany.

A-lister

Veteran
Go to the Reeperbahn in Hamburg, you´ll get overrun by customers. :ROFLMAO:
Ehm ok, weird joke but I guess I'll take it as a compliment that I'm attractive :lol:
But seriously though, most famous musicians wouldn´t go to Eurovision even if our broadcaster wouldn´t be this incompetent, the image of the contest isn´t the best in Germany.
Well, at least we can agree on that. But they worked hard to give it a bad reputation, but look at Italy for instance, they even came back after literally not wanting to be part and with very little interest from the general public to become a powerhouse.

If broadcasters care, they can work to change the impression of the contest but it takes time.

ESC94

Ehm ok, weird joke but I guess I'll take it as a compliment that I'm attractive :lol:

Well, at least we can agree on that. But they worked hard to give it a bad reputation, but look at Italy for instance, they even came back after literally not wanting to be part and with very little interest from the general public to become a powerhouse.

If broadcasters care, they can work to change the impression of the contest but it takes time.

Sorry but you can´t really compare both countries. In :it: you have San Remo, a festival like this isn´t really possible here in :de:.

And these bad reputation goes back much further, even before NDR took the responsibility for the contest in 1997.

A-lister

Veteran
Sorry but you can´t really compare both countries. In :it: you have San Remo, a festival like this isn´t really possible here in :de:.
Well, they had Sanremo when they didn't take part in Eurovision as well between 1998-2011. I'm talking more about the reputation of Eurovision, the fact that they even use Sanremo for Eurovision and the winners agree to go say quite much about that. There are other countries in Europe with local equivalents to Sanremo, but they don't use them for Eurovision and the acts wouldn't go to Eurovision either because of the bad rep.
And these bad reputation goes back much further, even before NDR took the responsibility for the contest in 1997.

Yeah surely, there were some attempts though with Lena for instance but overall yeah the German broadcaster hasn't done much to change the reputation.

ESC94

Well, they had Sanremo when they didn't take part in Eurovision as well between 1998-2011. I'm talking more about the reputation of Eurovision, the fact that they even use Sanremo for Eurovision and the winners agree to go say quite much about that. There are other countries in Europe with local equivalents to Sanremo, but they don't use them for Eurovision and the acts wouldn't go to Eurovision either because of the bad rep.

Yeah surely, there were some attempts though with Lena for instance but overall yeah the German broadcaster hasn't done much to change the reputation.

I don´t wanna defend NDR but regarding this they´re also fighting against the German press. No matter how professional the performances and how high the musical quality/diversity is the newspapers (yellow press but also more serious) always do the same "look at all the weirdos" coverage every year with always the same old pictures (Verka, Lordi,...), so it´s not surprising the Contest hasn´t the best reputation. :confused:

A-lister

Veteran
I don´t wanna defend NDR but regarding this they´re also fighting against the German press. No matter how professional the performances and how high the musical quality/diversity is the newspapers (yellow press but also more serious) always do the same "look at all the weirdos" coverage every year with always the same old pictures (Verka, Lordi,...), so it´s not surprising the Contest hasn´t the best reputation. :confused:

Ah you mean the press regarding Eurovision itself? Well it's a similar scenario as in the UK...

CC92

I agree with A-lister. If it's bottom-2 anyhow I'd rather something reflecting the :de: music scene than pandering vanilla stuff over and over again.
Quite apart from the fact that it's still possible for an artist to somewhat spice their style up/make it more broadly accessible for Eurovision (but not fall into the trap of cheesification). Artists from other countries do that also.

Last edited:

Realest

According to ESC Compact we will get the first informations about the NF in the next few days..

Mainshow

Veteran
This just came in...

Maybe good news for 2025?

Apparently, NDR is finally considering letting other broadcasters be in charge of Eurovision.

Apparently, MDR would like to take over
(NDR tries to shut the rumours down but tbh, it has already been kinda discussed by some few German fans of the inner circle before)

ESC94

This just came in...

Maybe good news for 2025?

Apparently, NDR is finally considering letting other broadcasters be in charge of Eurovision.

Apparently, MDR would like to take over
(NDR tries to shut the rumours down but tbh, it has already been kinda discussed by some few German fans of the inner circle before)

Not sure, would´ve preferred WDR or SWR as a new broadcaster, MDR seems to be pretty oldfashioned.

Pro7?

Top Bottom