• Total voters

ESC United Mod Team

Super Moderator
flag-800.png

Ezio

Veteran
Meh!

Decayingbooks

Yeah, "Blood and Glitter" would probably be more like Hungary 2018. It's not as mainstream or catchy as Blind Channel was. People will be turned off because "it's a lot of screaming". They also lack the attractive Twinks like Hatari to attract a certain demographic as a fanbase.
I see your point, but at the same time this type of songs have been gettting consistently good results from the public. From the video I think their look may make them stand above other songs and the chorus is quite catchy, we should wait to see how it would work live but I think you have a great song here and Germany shouldn't be afraid to send a non radio-friendly song for a change.

Also, as a sidenote, I think this song would probably get a bit of traction with Hatari's fandom as the song seems to be about trans rights?
Or at least the lyrics "What we are is but a choice/A promise to ouselves/We are free to break and change" can be read that way

Mainshow

Veteran
Their german fans can't vote for them in May. How they chart here doesn't matter. And their international fans would need to outvote fans of all the other entries in their countries. And how many rock enthusiasts watch Eurovision? Will this band be able to get the international rock music lovers to tune in and vote for them?

I don't think they would be last place or overlooked but I don't see them on the left side of the scoreboard.

I know that German fans can´t vote for them.

You guys said that "Lord Of The Lost are not mainstream enough to appeal the masses" and I disagree... the most mainstream thing in terms of music are spotify lists and single/album charts.. and they basically debuted at #1.
#1 = the most popular act/album in that week.

A #1 in the home country doesn´t automatically mean that it has to be successful abroad but could we just give it a try and not turn a #1 album against them, please? + It´s not like Lord Of The Lost are making some sort of "Neue Deutsche Welle" or "Deutsch Rock/Pop" which could only be understood in German-speaking contries. It might backfire but there´s a lot of potential in here.
Even Melodifestivalen-country Sweden has tons of great dark rock/metal bands - and they also watch Eurovision (like many Swedes do). Metal is popular in the Netherlands, Finland, Norway, Eastern Europe as well... Lord Of The Lost have toured in all these countries several times before... they aren´t any newcomers and they are not unkown to people outside Germany who are into subgenres of Metal/Dark Rock.

Rock fans who are watching Eurovision in May might be voting for Lord Of The Lost?

Many rock fans do watch it, otherwise Lordi, Maneskin and Dark Channel weren´t that successful. In fact, they were more succesful than pure pop entries these days.
The fact that we have 1 or max. 2 rock entries per year (sometimes none) may help to unite people to be voting for them.
Just look at Georgia 2011 which wasn´t a good entry at all - still, it attracted enough points to make them finish 9th - above Germany and the United Kingdom (which were favourites to win the contest back then)

Eurofans usually underestimate rock tracks - of course, the hardcore base prefers pop music.. probably even the televoters but they have up to 20 songs to choose from in the GF whilst people who like jazz, metal, rock don´t have so many tracks to find a favourite.

Don´t underestimate them - in some countries, people also associate Germany with such "heavier" sound, e.g. Rammstein, Oomph!

Last edited:

Mainshow

Veteran
^^ I honestly believe that Patty Gurdy as well as Lord Of The Lost "are really special" and something Germany hasn´t submitted to Eurovision before. Even Patty (which might be seen as the epitome of Eurovision) would be a competely new territory for us!

Synergise

My main concern for Patty is just how dated the song sounds. I can enjoy it, but it sounds like a Eurovision cliche from 2006. It's the sort of thing that I feel like juries are going to absolutely bury, but it might do alright in a televote.
I actually have a similar issue with LotL - it might do okay in the televote but the song itself isn't great (and also feels quite dated) and feels like it'll get stomped on particularly by juries.

I like that Germany actually has some interesting choices this year, and that alone is a big step-up for them, but I just don't see anything here as a COMPETITIVE interesting choice. "Dare to be Different" could have something going for it with a really impressive live, but that feels like quite a big ask.

ZoboCamel

Whoa. Very pleasantly surprised by this NF lineup. I wasn't expecting much after recent years, but for the first time since... probably 2014, I'm enjoying a lot of what Germany has to offer.

On first listen, Lord of the Lost, Lonely Spring, Patty Gurdy and Rene Miller would all stand a decent chance at making my top 10 this May if they're sent, and I can at least see something to like in the rest of the main entries too. You've got a good chance of sending something I love here, Germany!

I'm just... worried about Germany's habit of always sending the wildcard qualifier as an unexpected winner, lol. They've done it three times in the past decade, and I'm hoping it doesn't happen again when there's a perfectly good pool of songs to choose from already in the NF!

lasse braun

^^ I honestly believe that Patty Gurdy as well as Lord Of The Lost "are really special" and something Germany hasn´t submitted to Eurovision before. Even Patty (which might be seen as the epitome of Eurovision) would be a competely new territory for us!
ok - good point but pattys song needs ...
😊

simori95

I am having a really difficult time ranking especially the midlist right now, but here is my provisional ranking; I tried to incorporate personal taste, a Jury perspective and how the songs might do in Eurovision, plus trying to think how they could do with the best possible staging (which we likely won’t get). The numbers refer to personal taste.

1- Anica Russo - Once Upon A Dream 9/10
2- Patty Gurdy - Melodies if Hope 9/10
3- Frida Gold - Alle Frauen in mir sind müde 7,5/10
4- Lord of the Lost - Blood & Glitter 7,5/10
5- Will Church - Hold On 8,5/10
6- René Miller - Concrete Heart 8,25/10
7- Trong Hieu - Dare to be Different 6,5/10
8- Lonely Spring - Misfit 7/10

And then Leslie Clio (6,5/10) takes the TikTok-card for me and makes a respectable 9th place out of 9.

The others rankings from TikTok:
2- From Fall to Spring - Draw the Line 7/10
3- Ikke Hüftgold - Lied mit gutem Text 4/10
4- Mitchy & André - Summertime 7/10
5- Betül - Heaven 6/10
6- JONA - 10/10 3/10

I know, I am shocked myself that I put someone like Ikke in third place in the TikTok vote etc., but I do see some televote potential for him.

Franzilein

My main concern for Patty is just how dated the song sounds. I can enjoy it, but it sounds like a Eurovision cliche from 2006. It's the sort of thing that I feel like juries are going to absolutely bury, but it might do alright in a televote.
I actually have a similar issue with LotL - it might do okay in the televote but the song itself isn't great (and also feels quite dated) and feels like it'll get stomped on particularly by juries.

I like that Germany actually has some interesting choices this year, and that alone is a big step-up for them, but I just don't see anything here as a COMPETITIVE interesting choice. "Dare to be Different" could have something going for it with a really impressive live, but that feels like quite a big ask.

Gonna sign that. I love that we have musical diversity again, but none of the songs scream "banger" to me. Lord of the Lost had better songs in the past, I think this one is more about the band and the presentation itself rather than the song (which is okay, they will burn down the stage).
Patty is a question mark to me as well. Could maybe pull a "KEiiNO light" in a way – ignored by the jury, but quite good with the televoters so that it may suffice for a top 15 placement. And these two are my favourites in our NF, I'm not even gonna bother with the rest :lol:

But we're Germany after all. After all the failures in the past, I'm quite happy with our choices this year. We're taking baby steps and that's okay.

Now watch Will Church win our NF in March :lol:

rasmuslights

Veteran

same concerns. i'm worried that german people here are just happy that they got diversity. but this diversity does not equal a good song nor a good result.

CPV4931

I am very satisfied with our NF-Line-Up tbh... of course, there are some "fillers", but also entries I really like and think have some chances in Liverpool to reach at least the first half of the scoreboard again like Anica, Patty, LOTL and my huge Favorite Lonely Springs.
As a rock fan I also like, that there are (at least) two rock songs in our NF :-)
Just hoping, that Ikke won´t win the TikTok-Voting

Mainshow

Veteran
When I listened to Patty for the first time, I also immediately thought of all the very Eurovision-eque entries in the mid/late 00´s but dunno, Denmark 2013 won and Norway 2019 even won the televoting (despite all these songs sounding Eurovision/quite dated) - it´s still something which can perform quite well at Eurovision and playing the hurdy gurdy (an instrument we haven´t seen at all(?)/often on stage) might help.

It´s still a TV show and thus, playing a unique instrument (whilst looking pretty and her "outward appearance" is still kinda distinctive) or looking completely different than any contestants whilst wearing extraordinary outfits and burning down the stage (LOTL) is a HUGE advantage.

I don´t want to see another radio-friendly song with no props and a grey/dark background pls :(

Realest

The Youtuber seem to hype Rene for whatever Reason...

Top Bottom