Contact us

FSC Spin-Off - Theme suggestions

AndroZeus

1. One-hit wonders
2. RIP

Lietuvis

One hit wonders / RIP sound like interesting themes.

"Guilty pleasure" is way too vague. Depending on the person, that could be literally anything, essentially making the spinoff theme-less.

heke1988

1. Folk/Ethnic - Part 2 Spin-Off (we had Part 1 in May 2020)
2. R.I.P. Spin-Off (artists that are deceased)
3. One Hit Wonders Spin-Off
4. The Guilty Pleasure Songs Spin-Off (songs you secretly love, but feel a twinge of guilt or embarrassment about enjoying them)
5. Numbers Spin-Off (song must have number in title or lyrics)

Malagant

FSC Admin
Staff member
FYI: The theme titles are informative. The definition in some cases will be clarified if chosen.

We want to have a framework for the entry but obviously don't want to restrict it to the extent that it is almost impossible to find an entry. We are traditionally a little less strict in the FSC Spin-Offs than in the main FSC-editions, this is on purpose.

Therefore f.ex. "One Hit Wonders" will not necessarily mean an artist who had only 1 popular song/hit but an artist whose 1 hit was famous, successful and which the artist is particularly remembered for globally. If he/she had other popular songs/hits, they were considerably less successful. Where to draw the line will be my job as host if that theme is chosen.

As for "Guilty Pleasures", it was explained in the theme suggestions. That some themes sometimes are 'vague' as some point out is not a problem. I do not believe this theme is that 'vague' though it gives many opportunities. A really vague theme would be "Favourite Song" which we have had before in the FSC Spin-Off. If you don't like 'vague'/-ish themes, vote for something else. We try to have a variety of theme suggestions for this reason so everyone finds something they like.

Lietuvis

Depends on definition. One hit wonder can also be very restricted, good luck with finding that rare singer releasing only one song and nothing else. ;)

Well, no. Something like 4 Non Blondes is a great example of a one hit wonder. Their hit song is almost at 2 billion views on youtube, while their second most popular song is at 15 million (and the only reason it got those 15 million views is exclusively because of the success of their number one song and the trickle down effect).

Adi025

1)One Hit Wonders Spin-Off
2)The Guilty Pleasure Songs Spin-Off
3)R.I.P. Spin-Off

Malagant

FSC Admin
Staff member
Selection:

It is time to make a theme-selection for this coming FSC February Spin-Off. Everyone has had around 1 week to share their preferences. Thanks everyone for participating, we appreciate that so many voted for their preferred options.

The option

One Hit Wonders Spin-Off

received the most votes, 6 x votes (Priority 1) while the second best option received 3 x votes (Priority 1).

This means that One Hit Wonders is clearly the most preferred alternative.

The winner is: One Hit Wonders, which in the FSC Spin-Off will be called “Best Of: One Hit Wonders”

Let me clarify again. We want to have a set framework (we need to draw the line somewhere) with this theme but at the same time don’t want to be so strict that it is almost impossible to find an entry. So One Hit Wonders will in our case not necessarily mean an artist who had only 1 popular song/hit but an artist whose 1 hit was famous, very successful and which the artist is particularly remembered for and identified with globally. If he/she had other popular songs/hits, they were considerably less successful and iconic.

Where to draw the line will be my job as host and I will consider each submitted entry for eligibility, but stay away from super-famous artists who have big discographies who neither can be termed One Hit Wonders nor where it is easy to say that one particular hit was substantially more successful than several others.

We hope many members will take part, keep in mind once again we need at least 13 participants to host the Spin-Off!

I will post a Confirmation thread for the FSC February Spin-Off in due course with further details.

Welcome all! xup

Malagant

FSC Admin
Staff member
Hi guys!

And so it is time for the 2nd FSC Spin-Off Edition of 2024 which will take place in May.

In view of this we have offered the previous winner of the FSC February 2024 Spin-Off the chance and opportunity to host the coming May Spin-Off, but the offer was declined due to lack of time for the task, so the FSC Mod team (Malagant) will do the hosting again.

This time we will do things a little different, instead of theme options one of the 2nd most popular themes (1st and 2nd choices) selected by members last time in February will be the theme this time in May, namely

Best Of: Guilty Pleasure Songs Spin-Off

Our definition: Guilty pleasure songs for us in this context means songs you secretly care for or love, but feel a twinge of guilt or embarrassment about enjoying them. Songs that you can't resist, even though they may perhaps not be considered "cool" by your friends, mates or society's standards.

I think that definition should cover things but if you want further clarification please send me a PM and I will explain. Your choices of entries are personal so there is no right or wrong - and all entries are valued.

Timetable for FSC May Spin-Off

Confirmation thread: to be posted soon
Entries deadline: 8th May, 23:59 CET
FSC May Spin-Off: 9th May - 24th May
Results: posted 25th May

Join the coming fun, everyone! This will also give you something to look forward to and enjoy in the weeks after ESC is finished when you might suffer some “post-ESC depression” ;)

xup

Top Bottom