5 3.1%

7 4.4%

9 5.7%

• Total voters

ESC United Mod Team

Super Moderator

flag-800.png

VikingTiger

I am actually quite surprised to read the comments here. I was expecting more positivity over all. I absolutely love Slimane, and this song is no exception.

Yes, it's a surprise that the artist and the song has already been released. But the generel public in May do not have a big (or any) knowledge about what is going on in the French music industry. So I really cant see how an early release date will affect the eventual result in May. As for myselv I am able to appreciate a good soong for a good longer than only 6 months.

His Dotter - outfit really isnt relevant for me. The whole act will surely be upgraded for the big scene. But I definitely wont mind if this is kept simple, focusing on Slimane. He definitely is the and should be the center of attraction here (like Marco Mengoni last year). La Zarra was my favourite in 2023. But as an artist I think Slimane is better, both vocally and stagepresence wise.

I think Slimane will do well both with the televoters and the juries. Sort of like Marco Mengoni last year and Barbara Pravi in 2021. I cant see him getting "tanked" by the televotes. Tamara Todevska is an example were the juries voted for a big vocal performance, but where the televotes didn't agree at all. Mon Amour seems to me to be much more televote friendly. Even though I see that most in here doesnt seem to like the song as much as I do, I feel it has much more of a contemporary feeling than Proud. Again the comparision to Due Vite comes in mind.

Without having heard any of the other songs, I am pretty sure Slimane will reach a top 10 - IF the staging and the performance on the night are right! And I think 2023 proved that a great performer with a great performance is a formula for success. Loreen did a fantastic job on that stage. In her case the general public like the song more that I do - but her massive jury win cant only be blamed on the song itself. I think Slimane is the kind of artist that can pull a "loreen" - without be claiming that the victory will be his.

Mainshow

Veteran
I wouldn't say that the public didn't agree on "Proud" "at all"... I mean, wasn't the song #11 in the public voting? I think that's still great for a very old-fashioned ballad.

We don't know we other songs yet but I can see :fr: reaching the lower Top 10, for sure... also, I think that the comments were quite positive so far... Just look at the poll... 20% awarded the song 12 points. More than one third of the forum gave it even 12 to 8 pts... reviews are quite favorable, I assume.

Flamenkax

In the swimming pool, always stayin' cool
What surprises me the most is the lukewarm reaction by people who've been hyped by his participation... I mean, come on, this is his typical kind of song so i had basically no surprises. And i think it's good actually, this is a genuine Slimane song without will to mold into a "Eurovision-kind of song", which is the worst trap he could have been stuck in (Evidemment did imo)

Now the thing is that it's not the song that matters here, but how he carries it with his voice and charisma, which can heavily weigh in the balance. With a good, simple and most of all accurate staging, it can fill the whole package people are waiting from France.
And for the record, he said in an interview the vocals in the video are live. If he succeeds to do the same, juries will go nuts for him.

nudiecrudi

I am actually quite surprised to read the comments here. I was expecting more positivity over all. I absolutely love Slimane, and this song is no exception.

Yes, it's a surprise that the artist and the song has already been released. But the generel public in May do not have a big (or any) knowledge about what is going on in the French music industry. So I really cant see how an early release date will affect the eventual result in May. As for myselv I am able to appreciate a good soong for a good longer than only 6 months.
Your point of view is correct. You love his music and follow his career.
But for some persons that don't know him and listen his songs for the first time, like me, the angle changes and my judgment isn't conditioned. I found Mon Amour basic and a bit eurovision-esque. He said that this song will warm with love the European hearts. Does this song was written only for the European hearts without thinking to conquer firstly the hearts in his homeland which is the most important thing to my point of view.
This was the feeling that I proved after the listenings of Mon Amour. A basic French charme product made to please to the majority of esc audience.
Is this the right starting point for an eurovision project? My opinion is No
Is this song a bad one? No, I gave a 7. It lacks that punch in the stomach a male love ballad should give.

Sammy

Veteran
I gave this a few days before I listened to it again and what can I say... It's like good french wine. Let it rest and it will give you an explosion of flavors. Love that! What a great start into the season.

VikingTiger

I wouldn't say that the public didn't agree on "Proud" "at all"... I mean, wasn't the song #11 in the public voting? I think that's still great for a very old-fashioned ballad.
Well, at least the difference in points recieved from the juries and the televoters was huge; 247 vs 58 points. The difference in ranking not so much. And again; I think Mon Amour will come across as much less old-fasioned.

Mainshow

Veteran
Well, at least the difference in points recieved from the juries and the televoters was huge; 247 vs 58 points. The difference in ranking not so much. And again; I think Mon Amour will come across as much less old-fasioned.

In recent years, we have witnessed it quite often that a few favourites are quite "front-loaded" like they will be eating up most 12's and 10's etc. - I can still remember the days when the #10 got 100+ points.
Still, North Macedonia didn't got unnoticed by the public.... but I agree with you "Mon Amour" sounds less old-fashioned. I think it will perform quite well (depending on the performance, of course).

FRFanESC

I like the song a lot. If EBU is decided to give us a good running order this year (and not #06 for the 3rd time in a row), I could see the song very high in the ranking. It's hard to imagine a male singing a ballad doing better than "Mon amour" in 2024. Slimane's voice is very powerful and I can definitely see the audience connect to him like it happened with Duncan, Barbara or Marco Mengoni.

As a french, I want to believe that we'll end up in the top 5 this year. A 2nd half around 22th for the GF would be the cherry of the cake, lmao.

toinou03

Well...
First and foremost, I don't believe that there has been any French artist entering Eurovision at that level of success since at least the 60s. Slimane just won the NRJ Music Award of Best male singer, so that's pretty impressive to see him doing it. It means that France 2 takes it very seriously and that there is an interest for Eurovision in France, even after the public execution that La Zarra had to face for half a year.

As for the song. It is not very interesting, and what is terrible is that it is exactly what I expected. I could have written that song. It is a not as good version as what we can listen to on the radio...

It might sit in the middle. The good point is that as Slimane has won The Voice and is a front artist in France, he's used to pressure and television, while La Zarra is incredibly talented but was a studio artist, had hardly been on TV and was not used to be publicized that much...

lavieenrose

Albania Superstar
Sometimes, there's a question I get into my head which colors how I view every song for an entire Eurovision season. As my average rating for a Eurovision song has spent the last few years going way up but my investment and the number of songs I have at my top have spent the last couple years going way down, there's definitely a question in my head which will dominate how I view the contest:

Do I care?

And here the answer is a pretty unambiguous no! No I do not care! It is a moderately (not even very!) smoothly produced song, and he has a moderately (not even very! The STRAIN!) solid voice, but there's absolutely nothing here I care about. He finishes the song and I can't help but think to myself, "okay? What do you want me to do about that?"

I gave this a five at first glance but decided that this is going to be the year I'm truly honest with myself about what competent-ish but profoundly bland entries do to my enjoyment of the contest, and that's "severely detract from it." With that in mind, I've given this maiden voyage into ESC 2024 2 points.

Last edited:

Sabrewulf238

It's ok on first impression.

I'm not really sure if it'll grow on me, it kind of feels like one of the songs that will be "just there" for me this year.

heke1988

Good voice. Somehow it reminds me of Gjon's Tears, I don't know why. Unfortunately this song is not for me, so just :6:.

mauve

Veteran
Your point of view is correct. You love his music and follow his career.
But for some persons that don't know him and listen his songs for the first time, like me, the angle changes and my judgment isn't conditioned. I found Mon Amour basic and a bit eurovision-esque. He said that this song will warm with love the European hearts. Does this song was written only for the European hearts without thinking to conquer firstly the hearts in his homeland which is the most important thing to my point of view.
This was the feeling that I proved after the listenings of Mon Amour. A basic French charme product made to please to the majority of esc audience.
Is this the right starting point for an eurovision project? My opinion is No
Is this song a bad one? No, I gave a 7. It lacks that punch in the stomach a male love ballad should give.
I agree with what you said. I also believe that the song tries to please the ESC audience. Don't get me wrong - I like the song (I also gave 7 points), but I somehow miss the punch in my stomach, but that's of course an individual emotional thing. When I think of a ballad that made me feel this way was actually "Fai rumore" - a song that I still listen a lot to. That song gave me that punch.
But I still believe that "Mon amour" will do fine in May with both the Juries and the televoters!

Magimixer

I've never been overly fond of Slimane, not even when he won The Voice. He has a great voice but he always seems to over-act - nothing seems genuine. The song is the typical "this is what a French song should sound like" composition, with a little added "we'll put some easy French words in that everyone will be able to understand to make it even more 'French'". I'd love to see France do well, but not with this kind of very 'meh' entry…

jatojo

What's going on with people? This is so much NOT a top Eurovision song. Not even top 20 in my opinion.

I know that Eurovision fans tend to overrate French ballads, but this popularity is unexplainable to me.

DirtyFalcon

What's going on with people? This is so much NOT a top Eurovision song. Not even top 20 in my opinion.

I know that Eurovision fans tend to overrate French ballads, but this popularity is unexplainable to me.
Do we live in a parallel universe ? I personnally didn't see a lot of people here say it's a Top Eurovision song but more like the song is fine, not amazing but will do well in the contest thanks to the juries. A Top Eurovision song is the kind of song you know already it's gonna be in the Top 5 without any staging, by the way it's received by the community.

And "Mon Amour" received mixed reactions, in majority positive i would say but it's not clear at this point.

Gera11

WorldVision Mod
Staff member
I agree with what you said. I also believe that the song tries to please the ESC audience. Don't get me wrong - I like the song (I also gave 7 points), but I somehow miss the punch in my stomach, but that's of course an individual emotional thing. When I think of a ballad that made me feel this way was actually "Fai rumore" - a song that I still listen a lot to. That song gave me that punch.
But I still believe that "Mon amour" will do fine in May with both the Juries and the televoters!

That's actually how I feel as well, both "Fai Rumore" and "Due Vite" made me feel an emotional punch that this one fails to deliver.

rasmuslights

Veteran
That's actually how I feel as well, both "Fai Rumore" and "Due Vite" made me feel an emotional punch that this one fails to deliver.

Same, unfortunately. Still holding on to hope that he may change the song since it still hasn't been published on esc channel.

love being delusional.

but it's not a bad song. maybe it will make me feel things live.

Marcos C

Do we live in a parallel universe? I personally didn't see a lot of people here say it's a Top Eurovision song[...].
Not here, but on YouTube, a lot of people are ranking this song as their Top 1 of ESC 2024.

I think that "Mon Amour" is a very good ballad and that it has the potential to do well. However, I will wait until at least 10 songs are released before I start ranking them.

Top Bottom