7 4.4%

9 5.7%

• Total voters

ESC United Mod Team

Super Moderator

flag-800.png

Flamenkax

In the swimming pool, always stayin' cool
I have seen a tweet saying "France should send pop songs in English or we are doomed" which seems the worst take ever because... The French language has never been an element tanking our songs?!? I really don't get it.

Above all, we should stop speaking about this language thing. French, english, franglish, breton, german, whatever... What matters is the song above anything else. Locals will find anything to criticize so at least FTV should just do their own thing and even if it's a song in english but a really good one we should just go with it.

Oh BTW i just thought, FTV will do their 2023-2024 press conference in a few weeks, maybe we'll have some hints about how it's gonna be.

Last edited:

crashworld

Veteran
Not sure I agree that they have a tendency to flop, have there even been any songs remotely comparable to actual charting French rap/r&b in the last five contests other than Soldi?
Doesn't feel fair to use the likes of Malik Harris, Jeremie Makiese, etc as comparisons, there the issue were that they were blander than a piece of paper lol. And if the public is willing to vote for more rap acts with "less mainstream" sound like Käärijä or Kalush or Joci Papai, then I don't see why a "more commercial" song should have any issues in theory.

But of course no guaranteed success, all depends on the strength of the package as you said! :) Just think it would be fun to see one of the continent's biggest music industries send songs that actually represents what actually popular there rather than continuing to lean into stereotypes and keep on sending chansons and men screaming on top of the Eiffel tower.

But I can forgive Tom Leeb just simply because of his gorgeous ass eyes.

FRFanESC

Finger crossed that "C'est vous qui décidez" will come back next year
France 2 didn't open their submissions like they did in 2017, 2018, 2020 and 2021 (it was done on the 1st of July with EF, and on the 21st of june with DE, the day of the "fête de la musique" in France). I guess we're on the road of a new internal selection. For me, it's not a bad thing, La Zarra was a perfect choice, after all, she just didn't bring the thing people were waiting for her to bring (she still ended up 16th, it's not like she came bottom 5). I still trust France 2 next year to find a good artist with a good song.

Last edited:

Decayingbooks

France 2 didn't open their submissions like they did in 2017, 2018, 2020 and 2021 (it was done on the 1st of July with EF, and on the 21st of june with DE, the day of the "fête de la musique" in France). I guess we're on the road of a new internal selection. For me, it's not a bad thing, La Zarra was a perfect choice, after all, she just didn't bring the thing people were waiting for her to bring (she still ended up 16th, it's not like she came bottom 5). I still trust France 2 next year to find a good artist with a good song.
That's sad news, I've enjoyed a lot the french nf in these past years and had hoped they would bring it back.
Honestly for me it isn't just about who France will send to eurovision, I've found some artists that I really liked in the past editions and nfs are a good way to find new artists in other countries to listen to.
Although I do find it peculiar that most artists competing seem to be newcomers that don't had a carrer before nor after the nf, Pauline Chagne, for example, an artist not for eurovision but that has a good song and a rock star with an harp vibe hasn't released a song since.

rasmuslights

Veteran

TBH, any country that doesn't announce a NF till October is unlikely to hold a national final (unless you're Moldova/Germany/Romania or maybe some other random country).

Ekholmia

I hope you find a great artist and song but I really loved watching your national selection, so i do miss it. It's a shame it's gone.

FRFanESC

Some of our NF did have a great level, like 2018 or 2019, but Eurovision France was quite different. If France 2 doesn't want to work with ITV France to produce a great show like Destination Eurovision, I prefer an internal selection rather than Eurovision France where you have barely a few songs that can reach a left part of the scoreboard.

Last edited:

rasmuslights

Veteran
Some of our NF did have a great level, like 2018 or 2019, but Eurovision France was quite different. If France 2 doesn't want to work woth ITV France to produce a great show like Destination Eurovision, I prefer an internal selection rather than Eurovision France where you have barely a few songs that can reach a left part of the scoreboard.

I agree Destination Eurovision was amazing, whereas C'est vous qui décidez (apart from Barbara Pravi and Pauline Change) wasn't that great.

Flamenkax

In the swimming pool, always stayin' cool
When are they going to announce Tom Leeb's return? I'm waiting.
FleXbs0WQAIx3Vy

Ugh leave that nepobaby alone

Anyways, this is never gonna happen but lemme dream, Zaho de Sagazan would be a wonderful pick, imo exactly what we should send to ESC style and sound-wise (dunno if someone already mentioned her here tho)

StephenMuckle

One that is definitely amomg the top of my Eurovision wishlist is Charlotte Gainsbourg. She is the daughter of Jane Birkin. I remember her song Deadly Valentine from Forza Horizon 4.

StephenMuckle

Another one worth noting here is Woodkid and sticking with the video game connection, he had a couple of songs in the Directors Cut version of Death Stranding (amazing game by the legendary developer Hideo Kojima starring Norman Reedus, Mads Mikkelsen and Lea Seydoux). He has even done a song with Elle Fanning (who will ironically star in Death Stranding 2)

Last edited:

Looren

Veteran
Nour released a new song 30 minutes ago, really really wanting to see her in Eurovision, she's an amazing artist

harey

@rasmuslights and @AlekS I don't get what you are saying?!? What did she do?!?

I don't remember her talking about communism? I only remember the Oscar Niemeyer's building hat but did she say something about communism?

Top Bottom