9 5.7%

• Total voters

ESC United Mod Team

Super Moderator

flag-800.png

Edweis

WorldVision Mod
Staff member
I always like your suggestions @harey, even if they are not songs I am a big fan of there are definitely some good ideas. You already showed Offenses in the past, and this is totally something I would root for.

There is something actually that is bothering me, and I wonder if it's a French peculiarity or if the same can be observed elsewhere: our entries are never promoted on radio. These past years, the only ESC-related songs I heard were J'ai cherché, Arcade, Soldi and Tattoo. How can we make French public invested in ESC if our entries are never promoted on radio stations? Is there a rule from EBU preventing countries from broadcasting their entries before the show?
And even if there is, what about after? There's definitely room for one spot or two.

Flamenkax

In the swimming pool, always stayin' cool
There is something actually that is bothering me, and I wonder if it's a French peculiarity or if the same can be observed elsewhere: our entries are never promoted on radio. These past years, the only ESC-related songs I heard were J'ai cherché, Arcade, Soldi and Tattoo. How can we make French public invested in ESC if our entries are never promoted on radio stations? Is there a rule from EBU preventing countries from broadcasting their entries before the show?
And even if there is, what about after? There's definitely room for one spot or two.

I really think this is something really particular to us, the "Eurovision filter" is a turn-off for the Average Jean. For exemple i saw on Twitter a screenshot of someone saying to his Eurofan brother "Hey Tattoo is a cool track, she won twice" "Yea i know but you didn't like it then" "Yeaaaahhhh well ok but it's not the same" so i can imagine worse for our own representative..
We should try playing the song (or songS if there's an NF) on the radios/tv/internet but then announce that they are chosen for ESC, if the songs are well enough maybe people would be more hyped ?

As for Evidemment, i'm quite sure it has been played on NRJ tho, but their main partner for promotion was France Bleu (they started playing the track the morning after the announcement), which is not a really good choice i think, this station being more destined for an elder audience...

Edweis

WorldVision Mod
Staff member
As for Evidemment, i'm quite sure it has been played on NRJ tho, but their main partner for promotion was France Bleu (they started playing the track the morning after the announcement), which is not a really good choice i think, this station being more destined for an elder audience...
NRJ played it very occasionally when it was announced or just before the event, but now they are on Tattoo :lol:
France Bleu is definitely not the target. You don't even need to go to NRJ, you have plenty of local radios or national-wide radios with local stations that will give you a bigger and younger audience.

harey

For me it is the most important thing for France (and more important than winning esc) : make French people casually listening to esc songs and enjoying our entries. Of course there will ever be people not liking it, but we need a positive mindset about eurovision and music from esc.

I agree with you about France bleu, it doesn't really seem the right "target audience". But I don't know what they really could do with radio France.

ESC94

Compared to my home country :fr: is at least on a good way, especially when you compare it to most of the 2000s or the first half of the 2010s. (y)

Let´s just imagine :fr: wins next year: Which city would host?? Who would host?? How much French would be used during the show??

I´m asking everyone but especially our French members who could give us some insight. :)

Looren

Veteran
Imagine the drama if they chose Marseille as host city in case they win :mrgreen:

harey

Yes, for such an international event (and last time France won was 1977) they obviously will choose Paris. France is a heavy centralized country and most of the big events are set in Paris. I personally would love a city like Lille or Strasbourg, which are near borders (and it's really fast in train from Paris, so with a Paris-centric mind it could make sense) so the symbolic would be something like "we welcome all our neighbours" (especially Strasbourg, European city). I don't really know the southern half of metropolitan France but there are big cities like Lyon, Marseille, Toulouse, Bordeaux... (I don't know how big their concert halls are but I think they have big enough venues.) But yeah, it's only an option if France get a fast second win just like jesc.

Edweis

WorldVision Mod
Staff member
I don't really know the southern half of metropolitan France but there are big cities like Lyon, Marseille, Toulouse, Bordeaux... (I don't know how big their concert halls are but I think they have big enough venues.).
I've never been to their venues but I have no doubt they can host it, these are our biggest cities.
Lille or Strasbourg would indeed be the most sttategical choices, true hubs with the rest of Europe.
Personally I'd love to have it in Lyon for the sake of practicality. Toulouse and Bordeaux have less chances to be chosen because South West is less populated and harder to get to by public transport (trust me, I have experience).

A-lister

Veteran
I really don't understand why the French delegation doesn't lean into rap and r&b more, it has such a big scene that also is popular outside of the country... Know that there are plenty of young people here that listen to it as an example. If France internally selected a song like Soldi or Cenere I think they could do very, very well.

Maybe because those genres have a tendency to flop in Eurovision? But yeah, I think the right package could work (Soldi is a good example).

FRFanESC

Just thought, Nuit Incolore would be a quite nice pick.

The first time I heard "Dépassé", I instantly thought of Eurovision :

This is literally amazing and lyrics are so sad.

Edweis

WorldVision Mod
Staff member
The first time I heard "Dépassé", I instantly thought of Eurovision :

This is literally amazing and lyrics are so sad.
I thought it would fit ESC well too, but he's Swiss so if he's interested he would probably not participate for us :lol:

FRFanESC

I thought it would fit ESC well too, but he's Swiss so if he's interested he would probably not participate for us :lol:
Yes, I know, sadly. I just took a look at the comments and they are literally saying that this song should have represented us, lmao.

harey

I have seen a tweet saying "France should send pop songs in English or we are doomed" which seems the worst take ever because... The French language has never been an element tanking our songs?!? I really don't get it.

b4ld3r

Maybe because those genres have a tendency to flop in Eurovision? But yeah, I think the right package could work (Soldi is a good example).
Not sure I agree that they have a tendency to flop, have there even been any songs remotely comparable to actual charting French rap/r&b in the last five contests other than Soldi?
Doesn't feel fair to use the likes of Malik Harris, Jeremie Makiese, etc as comparisons, there the issue were that they were blander than a piece of paper lol. And if the public is willing to vote for more rap acts with "less mainstream" sound like Käärijä or Kalush or Joci Papai, then I don't see why a "more commercial" song should have any issues in theory.

But of course no guaranteed success, all depends on the strength of the package as you said! :) Just think it would be fun to see one of the continent's biggest music industries send songs that actually represents what actually popular there rather than continuing to lean into stereotypes and keep on sending chansons and men screaming on top of the Eiffel tower.

Last edited:
Top Bottom