22 12.8%

16 9.3%

54 31.4%

• Total voters

escYOUnited

Administrator
France-scaled.jpg

Miloutchi

I wouldn’t say English is a ‘safe’ choice to do better per se. More the default choice for many people. Not only in Eurovision, but also just in daily life. I don’t like it, but it is what it is.

Sammy

Veteran
Well you right on that.

But then why more countries don't try to send in their own language? Doesn't english look somehow a safer choice?
Initially I wanted to stay out of the discussion, but since you've read my edited post, I'm gonna reply.

Imagine you would just take into consideration all the english songs that failed to do well - that would not make english a safe choice, would it? But such a view would be as biased as the one where one only counts the ones who won. And many delegations seem to think like the latter - and therefore think english is the formula to win.
We all know, that a winning song combines so many factors in the right proportion, that it doesn't seem logic to me just to pick out the language. Even if english would be one of these factors (which i doubt without having a valid argument to back it up), the influence in the whole compound would be rather small regarding how many factors have to be on point.

FRFanESC

Well from 2009 to 2010 (that we have both juries and t/v) only 2 winners were not in english. So sending an entry that is not in english makes the victory very difficult but not impossible!
Yes, but I'm convinced that if we have "the" song, we could win, thanks to the song, the melody, the staging, etc, even if it is in french. And translate our songs in english is not necessary to win because we must be "understood", like Alma did.

Last edited:

Miloutchi

We also shouldn’t forget that there are way more songs in English than in any other language. Statistically speaking it is probably not so weird that English songs win more often. There simply are more English songs. It is definitely not impossible to win with a song in another language, although I imagine some languages are better for singing than others.

Mainshow

Veteran
I love his style and tone of his voice! I think it will be my favourite Frech entrant since Alma, for sure.

John1

hijirio

Veteran
Omg he hot xheat

Sorry Chingiz, this year I'm serving Tom Leeb

tumblr_pjwm0xw0HG1rby04wo1_400.gifv

hijirio

Veteran
@EscTurkey Sis, I thought you was ready to settle down and now you're leaving the goods to @PashonFrut. How unfortunate! #sadface

Gurl you want me to expose all the instagram DM's I sent his way that were one by one ghosted by his very self? Through the course of the year, I sent him my full address, phone number, even invited him to Christmas dinner at my place. And what i get? Zero. Tom Leeb deserves all my attention now.

Hello, this is my first post on this forum ;)

I have been listening to Tom's songs all morning and I have to say: He has a great voice. I think some of the songs are a bit meh, but if they really have a great song I am hoping for great things for France. I just hope I won't be disappointed!

Sammy

Veteran
Hello, this is my first post on this forum ;)

I have been listening to Tom's songs all morning and I have to say: He has a great voice. I think some of the songs are a bit meh, but if they really have a great song I am hoping for great things for France. I just hope I won't be disappointed!
Welcome to this forum. xwave

harey

I really likes Sébastien Tellier's song but I wouldn't be happy if France turns to send songs in english year after year. (From time to time is okay to me). It doesn't bother me to have songs in english in esc but the reason why I love esc is the musical diversity, and diversity in languages is one aspect of that. I'm pretty sure that I hear songs in english every day, so it makes me really happy to listen to songs in so many languages. Of course the language doesn't make the quality but I'm really sad that some countries only send songs in english (for example Germany, I love German language and I know that there is really good music sung in German but all the songs in their NF are in english).

Italy has really good televote results these past years while they sing in Italian. Last year we had 6 songs mostly sung in other languages than english in the grand final, 2 of them were top 10 result. To me, thinking that english is a safer choice is utterly wrong due to the bias that most of the songs are in english. (And I don't like "safe", it often means boring).

Another thing (not language related) : as an automatic qualifier, I think that France really could and should take more risks in what they send. They are in the grand final no matter what, so of course bold choices can lead to bad results but it also could be rewarded by higher results.

Edweis

WorldVision Mod
Staff member
The song will be revealed on the 16th February, in live on France 2.
Where did you get the news ? No paper published a statement yet and there's nothing on the offical account on twitter.

It's earlier than I expected, even if I still don't see the point of running a whole show just for one song reveal.

LastDreamer

Banned
:5: : Amandine Bourgeois - L'enfer Et Moi (2013)
:4: : Madame Monsieur - Mercy (2018)
:4: : Amuary Vassili - Sognu (2011)
:3: : Amir - J’ai Cherche (2016)
:3: : Twin Twin - Moustache (2014)
:1: : Bilal Hassani - Roi (2019)
:1: : Lisa Angell - N'oubliez Pas (2015)
:0: : Alma - Requiem (2017)
:0: : Anggun - Echo (You And I) (2012)
:0: : Jessy Matador - Allez ! Olla ! Ole ! (2010)

43rd place from 46 countries.

Top Bottom