Contact us

FIFA World Cup 2022

Bad draw for Italy ... North Macedona have nothing to lose and will play with a lot of conviction (Germany knows how insidious they can be) and the final ... probably against Portugal (to be played in Lisbon) or against Turkey (to be played in Istanbul where the fans are very hot). This is the destiny of Italy ... we must always climb Everest to reach victory ...

I can say that, even if the draw is bad, Italy will not underestimate the games and will keep the attention high. If we had an easy draw, we might as well have had a drop in concentration.

I admit, looking at the draws with a cool head, that these are the only pairings that will generate hard-fought matches. The level of Path A and Path B we can say that it is very balanced.

What else to add?

"Frates! Three weeks from now, I will reap my harvest. Imagine where you want to be, because it will be! Close ranks! Follow me! If you find yourself alone, riding on green grasslands with the sun on your face, don't worry too much, because you will be in the Elysian Fields, and you will already be dead! Frates! What we do in life, echoes in eternity! ".

Strength and honor! It is time to fight! xmad:lol:

Last edited:

Realest

:se::it::ua:

Realest

Btw. just read that the international Playoffs are:

Asia vs Southamerica (at the Moment :au: vs :pe:)
Oceania vs Northamerica (:pa:n vs probably :nz:)

Realest

Today it starts. My Wish:

:it: vs :mk:
:wale: vs :at:
:it: >>> :at:

:se: vs :cz:
:sc: vs :ua:
:se: >>> :ua:

:pt: vs :tr:
:ru: vs :pl:
:pt: >>> :pl: (could live with :pl: as well)

Omg, I just realized that all my Wishes came true :D :D :D
Only in the wrong Order

Ewigkeit

Veteran
Let me try xheat

Path A
Semi-finals:
:it: - :tr:
:pt: - :mk:
Final:
:tr: - :mk:
Winner: :mk:

Path B
Semi-finals:
:sc: - :pl:
:wale: - :ua:
Final:
:sc: - :ua:
Winner: :ua:

Path C
Semi-finals:
:se: - :at:
:ru: - :cz:
Final:
:se: - :cz:
Winner: :se:
I think I had the closest?

ShoeFlo

So, one of :pt: and :it: will miss the WC :eek: that's a bombshell. They can't blame anybody but theirselves... Portugal gave away the group lead in the last minute and Italy would have been safe if Jorginho converted the penalty against Switzerland. What a drama for those countries

I can't imagine that Italy might miss two consecutive World Cups especially now after their won the Euros. I think when it really counts they will show their best display. They definitely would not understimate Portugal and unlike Sweden in the WC 2018 play-offs, Portugal is not a destructive team, they will allow the Italian team more open space.
I have trust in Italy. They will qualify and CR will have to watch the World Cup on TV

Path A and B are very balanced. In Path A I believe the winner of Wales vs Austria will qualify. In Path B it's between Russia and Sweden... Sweden is better but the home advantage might help Russia in a final match

Good news for the CONCACAF contenders as they are "lucky" to play the Oceanian team in the intercontinental play-offs, which is most likely New Zealand. Now I am even more confident in the perspectives of :ca: to qualify for the WC for the first time since 1986 :cool:
Bad news for Asia, whose play-off team will have to face the South American contender. When Australia and Japan meet each other there will be a lot at stake

So, one of :pt: and :it: will miss the WC :eek: that's a bombshell. They can't blame anybody but theirselves... Portugal gave away the group lead in the last minute and Italy would have been safe if Jorginho converted the penalty against Switzerland. What a drama for those countries

I can't imagine that Italy might miss two consecutive World Cups especially now after their won the Euros. I think when it really counts they will show their best display. They definitely would not understimate Portugal and unlike Sweden in the WC 2018 play-offs, Portugal is not a destructive team, they will allow the Italian team more open space.
I have trust in Italy. They will qualify and CR will have to watch the World Cup on TV

Path A and B are very balanced. In Path A I believe the winner of Wales vs Austria will qualify. In Path B it's between Russia and Sweden... Sweden is better but the home advantage might help Russia in a final match

Good news for the CONCACAF contenders as they are "lucky" to play the Oceanian team in the intercontinental play-offs, which is most likely New Zealand. Now I am even more confident in the perspectives of :ca: to qualify for the WC for the first time since 1986 :cool:
Bad news for Asia, whose play-off team will have to face the South American contender. When Australia and Japan meet each other there will be a lot at stake
Italy and Portugal can reach the playoff final but they absolutely must not underestimate North Macedonia and Turkey. Euro 2020 proved that you must never claim victory before the game is over.

We Italians are living this moment as a national drama. Plenty of Italians are singing the praises of players from North Macedonia, Turkey and, of course, Portugal. We are like that, the opponents are always "stronger and more beautiful". Is it a Mediterranean flaw? Is it an all-Italian way of living life? I don't know ... but this helps us to keep our focus and to deepen all our energy.

Regarding the Lusitanian national team, many Italians are aware that, apart from Cristiano Ronaldo, the rest of the team is made up of many excellent individuals. There is a rampant thought where the Portuguese are superior in individuality and we can only face them by being compact like a Roman "tortoise", united and compact towards victory, in the most traditional way: with heart, blood spit and grit.

Today I went to read the FC Porto forum, both out of curiosity and because many of my compatriots wrote and said that Portugal is also not happy to meet us. Instead, I have noticed that most of those users are very confident and are enjoying the chance to play the final at home ...

Leaving aside that, if the final were Portugal - Italy, the Lusitanian national team lost the direct qualification to Qatar 2022 AT HOME against Serbia (when it had 2 out of 3 useful results to be exploited), this time we Italians will face the challenge with another interest compared to 2018. I admit, to the scarcity of the 2018 national team (made up of sad individuals) there was also the presumption that a world championship could not exist without Italy. Our worst enemy is to "rest on our laurels" and believe that everything will be simple. This time we will not be punished, to the delight of many, without fighting tenaciously. The tennis format (stupid for me because the ranking was not kept true for the draws - as happens in ... Tennis!), Is "fertile ground" for us Italians. It is in direct clashes that we are fearful and often undefeated, it is here where we warm our hearts. The match against Sweden, on the other hand, was a double round trip and doubts wore us out there. Unfortunately, we are not a "cold-blooded" national team, we are humoral but when we manage to overcome an obstacle we become unstoppable.

In my mind, if Italy makes it to the final, this will be the scene we will see in the final:

Last edited:

DanielLuis

Today I went to read the FC Porto forum, both out of curiosity and because many of my compatriots wrote and said that Portugal is also not happy to meet us. Instead, I have noticed that most of those users are very confident and are enjoying the chance to play the final at home ...
That's not the case at all. Everyone here hates our coach, has absolutely no belief in his ability to steer the team, and most are kinda hoping we lose so he finally gets the sack.
The whole feeling in the football fandom in Portugal is that we're having a golden generation, maybe one of the if not the best national team in the world in terms of talent right now, being completely wasted by that moron that couldn't even succeed if he tried to win a major tournmanent in Football Manager.

That's not the case at all. Everyone here hates our coach, has absolutely no belief in his ability to steer the team, and most are kinda hoping we lose so he finally gets the sack.
The whole feeling in the football fandom in Portugal is that we're having a golden generation, maybe one of the if not the best national team in the world in terms of talent right now, being completely wasted by that moron that couldn't even succeed if he tried to win a major tournmanent in Football Manager.
I have read some complaints about Fernando Santos and, in any case, I think that the words of some FC Porto fans do not correspond to the thoughts of an entire nation. I appreciated the strength of spirit of some fans (it is right to believe in your national team) but we must also not underestimate the opponent because sport is unpredictable.

I do not fully agree, although I respect what you write, with considering Santos a poor coach. He made Portugal win a European championship and a Nations League. Let's not forget that he managed your national team well and allowed you to be among the strongest and most respected in the world (after Eusebio's distant parenthesis). It is true that you have had and still have an extraordinary golden generation but football does not always reward those who are more beautiful and stronger but it rewards those who are more concrete. Differently, let me take a few examples, the Netherlands and Belgium should have won a lot of trophies. My personal opinion, you are experiencing a "skin change": Cristiano Ronaldo and your golden generation are aging and you are having difficulty in introducing new talents to the senior national team (gold mines sometimes run out). We add that world football is evolving (today Finland too is slowly becoming more and more difficult to beat) and that a single mistake is paying dearly (remember Jorginho's 2 missed penalties for Italy).

I don't have the glass ball, I have a lot of respect for Turkey and North Macedonia but, if the final is Portugal - Italy, we will see a real battle! Who will win? The vigorous Roman blood or the blood of the descendants of the intrepid Viriato? xheat Leaving aside the epic tones with which I like to pepper my speeches :lol:, in a nutshell "May the best win". For better or for worse, we will always be Latin brothers:gimmefive:

aletem

I see how Macedonia is being underestimated and Italians think they will play Portugal for the play-off spot. Everyone says how one of Italy or Portugal will not qualify, but might turn out both to miss out.
I wanted Scotland and Wales in pool A that seemed the easiest and we play well with those countries, but Italy is not a bad opponent for Macedonia. They were lucky in Skopje how they managed to turn the game from being in the brink of defeat and even Mouflon helped them save crucial balls. But in the game in Turin that was a sort of must win for Italy, they tied 1-1 and eventually Italy got eliminated in the play-offs. In those last minutes in Turin, the Italians were taking free throws kilometers away from where the out-line was. xcrazy
They are the reigning European champions, but just like after 2006, they seem fed up, saturated and worn out. Also, they have a tendency to struggle against Ex-yu teams (they have never beaten Croatia or Serbia, have lost to Slovenia believe it or not and even lost once to Bosnia). We've sort of done well playing away and if we defeated Germany 1-2, I don't see why that cannot be repeated against Italy. I think we will go full guns blazing and even tire them. The only one that I fear from their team is their coach Manchini - the sole reason they became champions.
Portugal tho is the strongest one from the bunch, but the way Serbia outplayed them should not make them an early winner too. Ronaldo will do his very best to play in Qatar. I think Turkey has also nothing to lose (plus they have a new coach) and I wouldn't mind seeing a final between Turkey and Macedonia.

I see how Macedonia is being underestimated and Italians think they will play Portugal for the play-off spot. Everyone says how one of Italy or Portugal will not qualify, but might turn out both to miss out.
I wanted Scotland and Wales in pool A that seemed the easiest and we play well with those countries, but Italy is not a bad opponent for Macedonia. They were lucky in Skopje how they managed to turn the game from being in the brink of defeat and even Mouflon helped them save crucial balls. But in the game in Turin that was a sort of must win for Italy, they tied 1-1 and eventually Italy got eliminated in the play-offs. In those last minutes in Turin, the Italians were taking free throws kilometers away from where the out-line was. xcrazy
They are the reigning European champions, but just like after 2006, they seem fed up, saturated and worn out. Also, they have a tendency to struggle against Ex-yu teams (they have never beaten Croatia or Serbia, have lost to Slovenia believe it or not and even lost once to Bosnia). We've sort of done well playing away and if we defeated Germany 1-2, I don't see why that cannot be repeated against Italy. I think we will go full guns blazing and even tire them. The only one that I fear from their team is their coach Manchini - the sole reason they became champions.
Portugal tho is the strongest one from the bunch, but the way Serbia outplayed them should not make them an early winner too. Ronaldo will do his very best to play in Qatar. I think Turkey has also nothing to lose (plus they have a new coach) and I wouldn't mind seeing a final between Turkey and Macedonia.
Hello Aletem, I speak for the Italians, your hypothesis about North Macedonia and Turkey undervalued are wrong. Indeed, it seems to me the way for fans of other national teams to create an atmosphere where Davide has to face Goliath.

Here are some Italian articles

In every article and comments, everyone sees the playoff draw as "a bad luck" and talks about a "Ronaldo nightmare" and a "after Pandev" North Macedonia that is a solid team that was able to beat Germany. In addition, many complain that the playoff draws, even though we played poorly were the architects of our destiny, are unfair. The tennis format is fine but the ranking value must be taken into account (which happens both in the Champions League, Europa League, Conference League, National Cups, European Championships and World Championships). Furthermore, some Italians speculate that the winner of the European championships should have access to the world championship. Many who will read these words will laugh but ... Austria and the Czech Republic have been allowed to qualify for the playoffs thanks to the Nations League and here it is not possible? Can the winner of the Europa League the following year go directly to the Champions League and here it is not possible? What we do know is that the Qatar 2022 World Cup will see the absence of either the European champions, Cristiano Ronaldo or both (the playoffs are always an unknown factor). After all these words, there are many Italians who say that "If we don't win the playoff it is right to stay at home because there are stronger teams in the World Cup", other Italians say "We must have respect for everyone but we are the champions of Europe. . It is the others who must fear us", still others say, as if to dispel the anguish, a truth "North Macedonia, Turkey and Portugal together do not even have one of our four world championships" but to these people others have answered that "It is not the palmares that take the field but the players". Do you see a climate where Italians are calm? Compared to the 2018 playoffs, our national team has improved a lot and I see much more courage and desire not to lose. We have many more chances than 4 years ago, where we thought that the name Italy and a little luck would save us.

I forgot one thing about injustice, it is not normal that technically superior European teams have to bring fewer teams. It is right to give every team in the world the opportunity to go to the world championship to make the event different but ... the number of accesses to the world championship of the other federations, based on the poor results obtained, is too high. Injustices aside, the last world championships have always been dominated by a European national team.

Regarding the lack of talent of Italian players, I don't speak because I'm Italian, you're wrong. The Italian national team has had its champions but they have never been as resplendent as the golden generations of other national teams. Brazil has always believed in talent, Germany in organization and athleticism while we Italians in team play, in defense and throwing our hearts over obstacles. I can tell you that we now have many great players to rely on.

If Italy has suffered in its group (without ever losing!), It is not only Jorginho's fault and the lack of clarity after the European victory but also because in September - November, you who love to read the statistics, Italy has always sucked. Our players always suffer from the start of the Italian league where they come out of shape and the clubs are not very willing to give them better players. We also suffered many injuries that upset Mancini's strategies! Go read the list of our injured.

Near the end, the statistics that see Italy suffering against the Slavic national teams are similar to Italy's palmares. They are the players who take the field and, sooner or later, the statistics are subverted. If it were as you say, Germany would not have had to beat us on penalties in 2016.

In conclusion, then in the next message I will give you another (quick) news, you cannot think that Italy must have infinite fear of North Macedonia. Football traditions, with all due respect, are not comparable. If Canada played Djibuoti would they consider it an insurmountable obstacle? You would have respect but you would know that you are stronger on paper.

Last edited:
Completely closing my football speech, I want to tell you a few things:

-) Never underestimate or consider Italy a doomed. It is in these moments where we become invincible. You can ask the long list of national teams who have had to surrender to us. Italy always suffers when it believes that everything is simple.

-) I know that our elimination would please many. It's normal. There will be one less strong competitor at the 2022 World Cup. But ... the history of Italy says, and many of you know it, that if Italy overcomes these difficulties, it will revitalize itself and be able to defeat the strongest national teams. One of the many examples that I can show you is that of '82. In the Mundial we played a painful group against Poland, Cameroon and Peru and overcame Cameroon only thanks to the goal difference. Then, we defeated the strongest Brazil ever, Maradona's Argentina, Boniek and Lato's Poland and finally "our favorite football victim", Germany.

-) Italy is trying to increase its resources by naturalizing foreign players with Italian origin and Italian passport. We Italians, if only we wanted to, we could go to South America and take at least half of their players. The only difference is that in Brazil (among many examples, Hilderaldo Bellini), Uruguay (among many examples, Ghiggia and Schiaffino), Argentina (among many examples, MESSI) and Peru (with Lapadula) if a player was born there or has a parent from their country, for them this player is from their country. For us Italians, Jorginho and Emerson are called "Italian-Brazilians" or "oriundi" as if we must always feel ashamed. In the rest of the world then ... England, France, Germany and Switzerland, for example, have given birth to a more massive work of naturalizations and rightly are not ashamed because these players are English, French, German and Swiss. The naturalization process includes some requirements: origin, having never played a match with the senior national team of another country and, at most, a passport and whether this player is married to a native woman (as could happen for Joao Pedro). Attention to Italy, if we start to get smart, we can also become more fearful :devilish::ROFLMAO: But don't worry, this is not our style. We are among the national teams with less naturalized players (Emerson Palmieri, Jorginho and, the least used, Toloi are the only ones we have called). The rest of our team is made up only of Italians (who have no other origin).

heke1988

My prediction:

Path A :

Semi-finals

Finals:

:sc: vs :wale:

Winner: :sc:

Path B :

Semi-finals:

Finals:

:se: vs :pl:

Winner: :pl:

Path C :

Semi-finals:

Finals:

:it: vs :pt:

Winner:

:it:

Qualifiers to FIFA World Cup 2022: :sc::pl::it:

My prediction:

Path A :

Semi-finals

Finals:

:sc: vs :wale:

Winner: :sc:

Path B :

Semi-finals:

Finals:

:se: vs :pl:

Winner: :pl:

Path C :

Semi-finals:

Finals:

:it: vs :pt:

Winner:

:it:

Qualifiers to FIFA World Cup 2022: :sc::pl::it:
The playoffs are upon us!

"There will be only one left" xshock1:

aletem

Completely closing my football speech, I want to tell you a few things:

-) Never underestimate or consider Italy a doomed. It is in these moments where we become invincible. You can ask the long list of national teams who have had to surrender to us. Italy always suffers when it believes that everything is simple.

I think you have completely missed my point and turned it into a "Italy is a victim" type of thing. I have read through Italian fans posts and many other fans that they are expecting a battle with Portugal for a play-off berth, completely forgetting that there are two other teams that have to be there. And even those links you posted say "Ronaldo nightmare", as if you are facing them first. How sure are we that Portugal will win the game with Turkey? These are one-match games (not home and away) and they are not regular qualifiers, but rather play-off spots. If you think Macedonia and Turkey will clap their hands and applaud instead of playing just because their opponents are Italy and Portugal, you are wrong. Sure they are favourites on paper, but the way they played their last games...
And I do not underestimate Italy. Italy is on paper a favourite against many other teams, like even Germany or Spain or whoever on an Italian soil. Additionally, Italy is a reigning European champion and everybody is going after your wig now.
Fact is that Italy plays weaker after they won the Euro, not just "my statistics". Italy had impressive qualifiers for the Euro, where in November they won over Armenia 9-1, won over all other teams quite convincingly in the fall too and had a record of 10-0-0. So it is not an excuse (if that was a major factor, other teams would suffer even more and why this wasn't a case for Germany or England or Croatia). They only won over Lithuania this fall in the qualifiers and got four ties. I feel like after that 1-2 against Germany in Duisburg, there is a chance to make a big upset here.

I think you have completely missed my point and turned it into a "Italy is a victim" type of thing. I have read through Italian fans posts and many other fans that they are expecting a battle with Portugal for a play-off berth, completely forgetting that there are two other teams that have to be there. And even those links you posted say "Ronaldo nightmare", as if you are facing them first. How sure are we that Portugal will win the game with Turkey? These are one-match games (not home and away) and they are not regular qualifiers, but rather play-off spots. If you think Macedonia and Turkey will clap their hands and applaud instead of playing just because their opponents are Italy and Portugal, you are wrong. Sure they are favourites on paper, but the way they played their last games...
And I do not underestimate Italy. Italy is on paper a favourite against many other teams, like even Germany or Spain or whoever on an Italian soil. Additionally, Italy is a reigning European champion and everybody is going after your wig now.
Fact is that Italy plays weaker after they won the Euro, not just "my statistics". Italy had impressive qualifiers for the Euro, where in November they won over Armenia 9-1, won over all other teams quite convincingly in the fall too and had a record of 10-0-0. So it is not an excuse (if that was a major factor, other teams would suffer even more and why this wasn't a case for Germany or England or Croatia). They only won over Lithuania this fall in the qualifiers and got four ties. I feel like after that 1-2 against Germany in Duisburg, there is a chance to make a big upset here.
I did not write that "Italy is a victim". I only wrote that the "tennis format" of the draws was bad (it does not take into account the ranking - as always happens), I wrote that the 2022 World Cup will suffer damage to its image (it will lose the European champions or Cristiano Ronaldo or both) and I reiterated the concept that "the Italian style" is not "sparkling" but it is a style that sees us exalt ourselves in the most difficult, most important moments and where we are at a disadvantage. This is what it meant when I wrote "Never consider Italy doomed".

If I missed the point of your message (which I didn't), you didn't read mine carefully.

If you reread the Italian articles, you will read phrases like "IF we beat North Macedonia" and then we keep writing that, there is a high probability of meeting CR7 Portugal. It's a tough playoff! It is obvious that, not disrespecting other national teams, we imagine a semifinal and a final with the strongest teams. It is normal that in the Champions League we imagine a semi-final or a final between Real Madrid - Bayern Munich instead of Liverpool - Qarabag. The same goes with ESC bookmakers' predictions! Then, it may happen that "a Cinderella" manages to win (for example Greece or Denmark at the European Championships).

The semi-finals will be the toughest games because North Macedonia and Turkey have nothing to lose compared to Italy and Portugal. The final, believe me, as an Italian I prefer Portugal - Italy rather than Turkey - Italy. The reason? Portugal will have the same pressure as Italy, even more in front of their fans. Furthermore, we Italians are used to the disappointment of the lack of world qualification while Portugal, for many years now, is not used to it. Turkey - Italy, on the other hand, would be hell because it would be played in Turkey where the public is very hot and sometimes violent (lighter thrown into Pellegrini's head in the Istanbul Basaksehr - Rome match). There is also the possibility that the match could also have a political significance (we know that in the past there have been frictions between Turkey and the EU). Finally, Turkey would have less pressure than Italy.

As for Italy's bad results, I repeat, historically we always suck in September - November. I would add that we were missing many players due to injuries.

Last edited:

Realest

@Morocco2021

When is the Draw for the Playoffs in Africa? I couldnt find anything.

Top Bottom