Contact us

Live EUROVISION SONG CONTEST 2022 FINAL DISCUSSION

Sean

Admin
Staff member
Please use this thread to discuss rehearsals in general and also to follow along with all of the live shows in Turin.

Matt, Melanie and Roy from the ESC United team will be LIVE in Turin over the coming days, with yours truly joining them on the ground in the coming days.

Make sure to join Matt for the round up of Eurovision 2022 rehearsals from 10:00 CET, LIVE on Youtube. Links to all live streams are below;

DAY 1

DAY 2

DAY 3

DAY 4

DAY 5

DAY 6

DAY 7

For individual countries' reactions and interviews, please check out the specific country thread.

Make sure to also follow us on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Twitch and our new TikTok account for all of the latest behind the scenes and reaction from Turin!

>>> Click HERE for the Eurovision 2022 rehearsal schedule <<<

Last edited:

ChiversLookDivine

To anyone failing to understand the :uk: hype from the rehearsal clip earlier (and I totally understand that as the clip basically showed nothing), I suggest rewatching the ESCUnited livestream, or reading a response from the journalists/press present today. Their descriptions of the build/climax is where a lot of the hype came from this morning, not the rehearsal clip we got earlier that kept out the good stuff/fireworks moments.

Alesia Michelle also had a lot to say about it, was critical about one or two elements like camera angles, but detailed the electric guitar solo, adlibs, changes to the finale, and so on.

Ianp16

If people think that Ukraine are NOT likely to win this year because of political events, and are getting mad that people are suggesting this, then they're deluded. It's a great song, it's a great performance. I may be wrong, but the support that both juries and public will feel obliged to show through voting will be unparalleled. If it's not a land slide I'll be surprised, and I'm happy to be right OR wrong.

Last edited:

Loindici

Veteran
If people think that Ukraine are NOT likely to win this year because of political events, and are getting mad that people are suggesting this, then they're deluded. It's a great song, it's a great performance. I may be wrong, but the support that both juries and public will feel obliged to show through voting will be unparalleled. If it's not a land slide I'll be surprised, and I'm happy to be right OR wrong.

The thing is if Ukraine wins, I think they are yet to recover from the huge economic loss. It might be more interesting to see who comes second in this edition since they, hopefully, will get a chance to host.

Last edited:

ItsJaden

Respectfully disagree. In my personal opinion, the entry (in a vacuum) is quite weak. There are plenty other entries this year that I would consider "better". Can't realistically see the Ukrainian one kicking off a wave internationally after the contest (like e. g. Måneskin did). It's definitely not something I would listen to outside the contest. Just my opinion though.

A winning song is just not based on that (a cross over hit). In fact most songs don't cross over to the charts or get extremely high streaming numbers.
Duncan and maneskin might have opened it up more, but it's still not a given.

Wasn't Ukrain #1 before the war broke out?

Anyway. i wasn't saying Ukrain has the winning song, i just said, it would do well in any other year.

Zerocalcare

A winning song is just not based on that (a cross over hit). In fact most songs don't cross over to the charts or get extremely high streaming numbers.
Duncan and maneskin might have opened it up more, but it's still not a given.

Wasn't Ukrain #1 before the war broke out?

Anyway. i wasn't saying Ukrain has the winning song, i just said, it would do well in any other year.
Ukraine was before the outbreak of war with Alina Pas. It later collapsed, if I remember correctly, to fifth position, and only after the start of hostilities with Russia did it reach the top again.

Zerocalcare

However, unlike what many people say, I think Malik Harris is a great choice. Nobody expects him to win but he can certainly allow Germany to get back on their feet after the latest ESC humiliations. Is mine an unpopular opinion?

banana

In my view winning chances of Ukraine is a bit exaggerated.
Come on, if you watch this very loooong show for four hours you will not send SMS guided by only solidarity. And I doubt that juries will ignore better entries and regional specifics because afraid to be misunderstood.

:cy: calling: And 12 points go to Ukraine. Sorry honey, sorry Greece. Will be next year, ok?

Anyway, us waiting for a much more interesting voting process and result.

Zerocalcare

Come on, if you watch this very loooong show for four hours you will not send SMS guided by only solidarity. And I doubt that juries will ignore better entries and regional specifics because afraid to be misunderstood.

:cy: calling: And 12 points go to Ukraine. Sorry honey, sorry Greece. Will be next year, ok?

All correct but it seems that many underestimate the Ukrainian diaspora. Are we sure that the cell phones of Ukrainian citizens will be checked? Besides, is it really possible to do this thing? It wouldn't be fair. For many years many nations have been helped by the diaspora of part of their people.

Anyway, if Ukraine wins, I'm happy. Months ago in the Thread Ukraine I hypothesized the Ukrainian victory but a different host country arousing big laughs. Today when I see people talking about this possibility, it is I who laugh.

mauve

Veteran
However, unlike what many people say, I think Malik Harris is a great choice. Nobody expects him to win but he can certainly allow Germany to get back on their feet after the latest ESC humiliations. Is mine an unpopular opinion?
I would agree with you IF Germany would achieve a place around 15-20th. If we end bottom 5 again (can happen likely), it's the same humiliation again. I can only hope that NDR finally wakes up and chooses another concept (no radiofriendly songs, please) next year.

ESC94

I would agree with you IF Germany would achieve a place around 15-20th. If we end bottom 5 again (can happen likely), it's the same humiliation again. I can only hope that NDR finally wakes up and chooses another concept (no radiofriendly songs, please) next year.

Well, keep hoping in this case, nothing´s gonna change I´m afraid. :(

Zerocalcare

I think a minimum place from eighteenth to twentieth "Rockstars" can get it. If the song scores more than 0 points it will be a hit for this year's German selection. Now you have to regain your confidence (musically speaking) then next year you can play hard with Eskimo Callboy or other top German artists 💪

HarryUK

Veteran
There seems to be an issue in the :uk: rehearsal with stage hands being visible when part of the staging opens up... I do hope it's sorted because that really would be an oversight

theditz83

Veteran
There seems to be an issue in the :uk: rehearsal with stage hands being visible when part of the staging opens up... I do hope it's sorted because that really would be an oversight
I read somewhere that it was all to do with camera angles. Having such a massive stage prop that requires movement through the performance will always require some assistance, and it won't be the first entry that has required "stage hands" to help fulfill the overall stage show, but I guess the key thing is whether there can be a method to use panoramic shots while the moves are made so the viewing audience aren't aware - the spectators in the arena will always see the transitions I guess.

I really wonder how much these details affect the average casual voter in the end. For example, would someone that loves the song/singer/live vocal be inclined not to vote for the entry because there were some random stage hands visible in the performance? I'm doubtful that it would be a massive issue.

Loindici

Veteran

It will depend on the narrative painted on top of Ukraine. Once the story of Ukraine's war is brought on the show by the producers or by the commentators, anything could happen in Ukraine's favor.

And no, winning doesn't need Cyprus to go 12 points to Ukraine. Even collective 8s or 10s by the juries can still bring Ukraine closer to the top, as long as most of the countries are giving them points.

ManiaMuse

calling: And 12 points go to Ukraine. Sorry honey, sorry Greece. Will be next year, ok?

I would agree that in a normal year it would probably be headed for a 5-15 finish (quite a wide range but Eurovision voting for the mid-table runners can be quite random). It is a fairly typical ethno/western music crossover which is fun enough and would have its fans but probably would not stand out from the runaway favourites too much. However we saw with Jamala that external factors can drive a huge televote even if the song is not typical Eurovision fare. Admittedly that year there was also the threat of Russia winning with a strong song which combined with the anti LGBT law things happening in Russia at the time + Crimea situation probably acted as an 'anybody but Russia' rallying cry. Russia did also get a huge televote proportion that year so things were not quite as black and white through all of Europe. If Russia had not flopped slightly with the juries that year (probably for ripping off Sweden's entry from the year before) they probably would have won.

This year Russia have already been banned from participating (and as things stand are unlikely to be welcome back any time soon) so there isn't that threat of next year's competition being hosted in Russia. It will be an interesting test to see how powerful the 'solidarity' vote is. If it gets anywhere near record televote scores then it should be a certainty to win. However the last few years the top 1-3 televote countries have been much closer in points so if it does get a low jury score then it might be under threat from another big favourite. It would have to really suffer with the juries though, Toy only got 212 points from the juries and still won overall by 93 points. I think it could get only 100 points with the juries (probably 9th-10th based on previous years) and still have a chance of winning overall though a massive televote.

The national juries are meant to be made up of a mix of demographics and are meant to focus on certain criteria (vocal capacity, performance on stage, composition and originality of the song, overall impression) although how strictly all of the jury members actually follow them we do not really get much of an insight into their thoughts because it is all private apart from the overall scores. Shum had a lot more going for it for the juries last year under those criteria imo so if Stefania outscores with the juries this year then I would definitely say that the current situation has affected the voting.
There seems to be an issue in the rehearsal with stage hands being visible when part of the staging opens up... I do hope it's sorted because that really would be an oversight
Quite a few of the press centre reviewers mentioned the stage hands but then again they are mostly hardcore fans looking at all the tiny details which may not be that important for your average casual Eurovision view. Sam in all of his interviews has said that he and his team are trying to not to go down the rabbit hole of becoming obsessed with perfection. He said they are still tightening the screws so they may try to use different camera shots or post-effects but I doubt too much will change. I think the problem is he also needs to be given and put on his guitar at the same time so the cameras are going to end up showing something happening on stage regardless. They could show an audience shot at that point but it might ruin the magic.

Mainshow

Veteran
I thought that Albania was the first artist to enter the Turqoise Carpet or am I mistaken?

Is Ronela going to ditch the entire event?

Malta was the first one and Emma looks absolutely stunning! She´s really a sweetheart (who misses her dog xD).

Poor Portugal for having to wear face masks (so far the only ones). (Safety and health come first, though!)
All the other acts got amazing pics so far.

Last edited:

HarryUK

Veteran
I thought that Albania was the first artist to enter the Turqoise Carpet or am I mistaken?

Is Ronela going to ditch the entire event?

Malta was the first one and Emma looks absolutely stunning! She´s really a sweetheart (who misses her dog xD).

Poor Portugal for having to wear face masks (so far the only ones). (Safety and health come first, though!)
All the other acts got amazing pics so far.
She was getting ready according to her instagram story 3 hours ago

Top Bottom