Contact us

Estonia ESTONIA 2024 - 5miinust & Puuluup - (nendest) narkootikumidest ei tea me (küll) midagi

How do you rate this entry?

37 25.5%

19 13.1%

15 10.3%

10 6.9%

13 9.0%

9 6.2%

4 2.8%

8 5.5%

3 2.1%

10 6.9%

17 11.7%

• Total voters

ESC United Mod Team

Super Moderator

flag-800.png

Iker

Veteran
I love it! So original and uplifting! Estonia slayed me with this one, Ukraine is in danger of no longer getting my 12 points for our ranking.

I can't get this out of my head right after listening to it.

NemesisNick

This evening I watched Eesti Laul 2024 Final online, on demand, from the UK, three days late (it was originally shown 17 February 2024, but I was watching DMGP 2024 Final live that night). Unfortunately, I didn't preview any of the songs before watching on demand tonight, so my online viewing this evening was my first time of seeing / hearing any of the ten finalist songs. Here are the notes I made whist watching tongiht.

Song 1: Brother Apollo - Bad Boy
A rock song. It's got a good beat in the introduction, and thereafter, but I'd have thought the lead singer would have sung considerably more strongly in the verses for this style of song. I liked the flame effects during the chrouses. The drums and guitar could be clearly heard, though it's questionable whether those were live during the performance or whether they were mimed, with their sounds actually coming from a backing track. I question the need for the lead singer to show Bad Boy on his bare bottom at the end, surely that sort of thing wouldn't be allowed at Eurovision.

Song 2: Carlos Ukareda - Never Growing Up
A ballad, in fact, this sounds to me like a country ballad. Carlos sang clearly from the start at Eesti Laul, and the song has a good beat from the start. The chorus is quite catchy.

Song 3: Ewert and the Two Dragons - Hold Me Now
This has an impressive introduction, with the a good beat and the sound of various instruments. However, the introduction is a bit long. When the lead singer begins stinging, I didn't think his voice was clear enough at Eesti Laul Final; the drum beat and other instruments overpowered his voice. What was the significance of group of pictures in the circle on the background screen?

Song 4: Anet Vaikmaa - Serotoniin
This sounds to me like a cross between rock and country. Anet sang clearly from the start at Eesti Laul. Part way into the song the backing singers could also be heard. The chorus is powerful and catchy and the drums could be clearly heard. I liked the elecronic soudn that apepared between the chrorus and start of the second verse. A good intrumental break too In addition, the Eesti Laul featured considerable use of red on the background and stage, with light beams being switched on and off at times. The best song so far.

Song 5: Ollie - My Friend
This is almost two songs in one. After a pleasant piano introduction, and a first verse that seemed like a ballad (sung fairly softly), with Ollie playing the grand piano, this suddenly changed to a lively hard rock song, with drums and flashing lights (with flame effects at times). The trouble is, those who like ballads (like "Arcade" in ESC 2019) would have been shocked upon the transition to hard rock, and for those those who find ballads boring but love hard rock, the transition may have come too far into the song for them to wait.

Song 6: Daniel Levi - Over the Moon
This started with the sound of piano, and Daniel singing whilst seated on the steps. After the first instance of the chorus, he stood up. The title explains the significance of the moon in the background, and the dry ice / smoke effect enhanced this song. Altogeher, a beautiful ballad, and Daniel sang well at Eesti Laul.

Song 7: Uudo Sepp & Sarah Murray - Still Love
A country ballad. I noticed Uudo sang the early part of the first verse, with Sarah joiing in part way through, and Sarah sang the early part of the second verse, with Uudo joining in part way through. Both sang during the chorus, which is quite lively and catchy, with bright lights and two dancers.

Song 8: Peter Põder - Korra veel
For the Eesti Laul performnace, showed each member's name, one by one, at the start. This is quite a lively song, with a powerful beat, and use of use of the electronic keyboard. I iked the interlude on the keyboard after each instance of chorus. Best of all, this was sung in Estonian (I've looked online just after the end of the peformance and the title means "Once again"); it's great to hear a song in the country's native language.

Song 9: 5miinust & Puuluup - (nendest) narkootikumidest ei tea me (küll) midagi
A rock song, which has a powrful beat, and makes use of unusual stringed intruments. The Eesti Laul performancde made considerable use of yellow light beamsand the smoke / dry ice effect at times enhanced the song. I'm mystified as to tehe significance of the giant eye in the background though. This was another song to be performed in Estonian, it's great to hear a song in the native language.

Song 10: Nele-Liis Vaiksoo - Käte ümber jää
A ballad. Nele-Liis has a beautitful voice. Presumably the verses are intended to be sung softly, because she sung strongly on the choruses. She performed on a predominantly dark stage, with subtle lighting, and the smoke / dry ice effects enhanced this peformance.

These were the three which made it to the Superfinal
Nele-Liis Vaiksoo - Käte ümber jää
Ollie - My Friend
5miinust & Puuluup - (nendest) narkootikumidest ei tea me (küll) midagi

I question the need for the Superfinal, when originally broadcast ERR just reopened the lines so Estonian residents could vote for their favourite Superfinalist song. The three artists didn't perform again.

The winner was 5miinust & Puuluup - (nendest) narkootikumidest ei tea me (küll) midagi. Congratulations to 5miinust & Puuluup for winning. Although their song isn't the one I wanted to win (out of the Superfinalists, I wanted Nele-Liis Vaiksoo to win), they did well to get to the Superfinal, and then win. So 5miinust & Puuluup will represent Estonia with the song "(nendest) narkootikumidest ei tea me (küll) midagi" at the Eurovision Song Contest 2024 in Malmö, Sweden in May. Estonia is drawn to perform iin the second half of the Second Semi-Final on Thursday 9 May 2024. The United Kingdom doesn't vote in that semi-final, so I won't be able to vote for Estonia that evening. Good luck to 5miinust & Puuluup in the Eurovision Song Contest Second Semi-Final, and in the Grand Final if they get there.

Well done also to Ollie and Nele-Liis Vaiksoo for getting to the Superfinal; they did exceptionally well to get that far. Well done to the remaining seven finalists; they too did well to get to the final after competing in the Semi-final on 20 January 2024 (which I haven't seen).

njdevils94

Veteran
Not my favorite of the Estonian selection winning again for the 2nd straight year. xheart

As someone who loved Bridges last year I'm absolutely delighted 5Miinust & Puuluup ended up winning and find this an incredible worthy successor to Alika for the :ee: Eurovision entry. xcheer

Glad to see Estonia go in a completely different direction and for them to finally be singing in Estonian again after 11 years. Staging was a lot better compared to the semifinal. I think two of them starting in the crowd or off stage in the final was a great idea and if that is an option to somewhat replicate for Malmo they should consider doing that. Still work to be done but this has huge tele-vote potential in my opinion in May.

(nendest) narkootikumidest ei tea me (küll) midagi is currently my #3 of this year only behind Ukraine and Italy. :cool:

lavieenrose

Albania Superstar
What an annoying, unwelcome three minutes. This year, I'm evaluating entries in large part by answering the question "do I care?," and while this isn't a typical "no" in that it does have identifiable traits, I don't care about this entry in the sense that I don't want to hear from the performers or buy what they're selling. I'm frankly exhausted of this kind of entry at this point; Subwoofer you will pay for your crimes.

:3: points.

Lance Esgard

I also think the second word, 'narkootikumidest' might be the longest single word we've seen in a Eurovision song title. Anything out there recall a word over 16 characters long?

Last edited:

NemesisNick

Since I watched the Estonian national final, Eesti Laul 2024 Final, online from the UK, on demand, three days late (20 February 2024), I've made a review video, containing my opinions on all ten finalist songs, in order of performance (based on Eesti Laul 2024 Final performances), and my ranking from tenth to first in My Eurovision Scoreboard.

Nemesis Nick Talks Eurovision: Eesti Laul 2024 Final Review

henhu

I think "Narkootikumidest" might be the longest word... I think I checked all the titles and the previous longest word I found is "Congratulations" (15) :eek:

Last edited:

lavieenrose

Albania Superstar

eerik

5miinust & puuluup will have a whole joint album out in May
k0Qpdje.jpeg

kannatused ehk külakiigel pole stopperit

26th April 2024

1. soovilaul
2. (nendest) narkootikumidest ei tea me (küll) midagi
3. pole talenti, on vaid töö
4. isegi kakelda pole kellegagi
5. linnas
6. kõige usinam kustutaja
7. külakiigel pole stopperit
8. metsvint
9. maal
10. ära tee eraarmeed
11. meie vahel pole ühtegi meetrit
12. vaprad ja ilusad
13. ühe mehe naine oli kaubanduses

lasse braun

my most beloved youtube reaction channel have had a very bad day.:LOL:
i like them because they have always the balls to say negative things about songs but here it is almost satire.

ManiaMuse

my most beloved youtube reaction channel have had a very bad day.:LOL:
i like them because they have always the balls to say negative things about songs but here it is almost satire.
Watch this one to cheer you up, this guy says that is a banger. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0-LSP5o6o0

Better to be marmite and get a mix of 0/8/10/12 points than to be mid and get 1/2 points from everyone.

Hip-hop/rap is probably not the favourite music genre of a lot of hardcore ESC fans but it is is extremely popular outside of the ESC bubble. Plus is has elements of punk and folk as well which will attract other voters.

Loindici

Veteran
Hip-hop/rap is probably not the favourite music genre of a lot of hardcore ESC fans but it is is extremely popular outside of the ESC bubble. Plus is has elements of punk and folk as well which will attract other voters.
I'm sure the lads are gonna be crazy for this one. Such an rowdy, energy-boosting song.

Ted Talks

Some will be delighted to know I’m upgrading my score on this song.

From a lowly (and imo justified :0:) it now reaches the giddy heights of :1: :ROFLMAO:.

It’s still terrible but not as bad as Finland which is a minus score for me.

I still strongly believe songs like this harm Eurovision’s emerging better reputation with the wider public and will set us several steps back to wider acceptance.

Should that matter? I think it does. Some would say Eurovision just needs to please its fans, but I think it needs to be as widely enjoyed as possible, so songs like this just play into the naff, cheesy image that’s has persisted for decades and is only now starting to shift in the UK.

ManiaMuse

Wynnter

It is a lot of fun for sure. Gets some points for always making me smile. I really like the instrumentation as well, and I guess the language creates a sort of deeper connection due to it being so similar sounding to Finnish, lol. It is also an insane earworm. Might get higher points in the future, but for now I'll keep it lower for not doing much else with its time or going anywhere else interesting.

:6: points.

Top Bottom