8 5.0%

7 4.4%

7 4.4%

• Total voters

ESC United Mod Team

Super Moderator
flag-800.png

Wynnter

Another grower for the season. I really like her vocals and the backing vocals, and the melancholy feeling that the song has. It doesn't end up becoming repetitive and instead has an enjoyable buildup to a final climax. It is missing a grandiose "wow" effect from me, but the overall composition is still good.

Final score: :8: points

laululind

Alika flew off to Liverpool today. :giggle: First rehearsal will be tomorrow morning! There was a recent interview as well, giving us some hints on what to expect. Staging will remain minimalistic, with the piano and different lights for atmosphere. Anyone expecting anything very different and exciting will probably be disappointed. :LOL: But I guess we sort of knew that already. Costume will be light blue. She did say she'll actually do some dancing. :unsure: I imagine it will just be a couple of moves during the bridge or waving her hands a little. :LOL: Can't quite imagine her doing a full dance routine during a song like this, but who knows. Maybe she'll go full Tanja and jump around all over the place. :LOL: I hope it won't end up looking too weird or silly tho'.

She also said she had two songs to pick between that they wrote with Hardy. She liked them both and had a hard time picking, but in the end thought Bridges was more personal and emotional. The other one was more 'made for Eurovision', with typical power ballad elements and guitars and drums. But she doesn't want the second song to go to waste so she was hoping to find someone who would sing it. I do hope we get to hear it some day, I'm curious what it sounded like. :LOL:

She sang her new song as well, You, which will officially be released in a few days. Another atmospheric piano ballad. :giggle: Would have also made a nice Eurovision entry! Second video on the page.

In any case, hope all the rehearsals and performances will go well! :D Interested to see some pics and clips tomorrow, tho' I don't expect anything mind blowing. :LOL: The main thing is how it all comes across on camera. Hope they can fine-tune everything to be the best it can be. :giggle:

EscGeek

Veteran
She's shockingly low in the odds.
Yes, i wanted Ollie, but i always like Alika too. Her other songs are great too. Especially "Bon Appetit". Definitely someone worth following.

lasse braun

that's because the bookies think that the song is not a good televotehit.
through that new (silly) rule pure musical class is no longer the most important factor for a finalist.
the nightmare,that poland and denmark going into final but not estonia is still alive.

Citelis

There is hope for Estonia! Greece is out along with Romania, San Marino and probably Iceland so you have already 4/6 nqers but the good rehearsals of Poland and Denmark is an issue.

njdevils94

Veteran
Yes, i wanted Ollie, but i always like Alika too. Her other songs are great too. Especially "Bon Appetit". Definitely someone worth following.
Most people haven't seen the graphics that will be seen on camera yet. By the end of 2nd rehearsals we will have a lot better of an idea.

laululind

Yeah, rather unfortunate they booted the semi juries the same year our televoters wanted a big jury-bait ballad. :LOL: I'd feel pretty sure about our chances to make the final if they were still around, but alas, right now we're a borderline qualifier at best. :unsure: I'd say there are about 5-6 borderline entries fighting over 3 qualifying spots (Poland, Denmark, Belgium, Greece, Estonia and maybe Albania), so it's still possible we might manage to grab one. :LOL: Some of the others have gotten a push thanks to promising staging, but it wouldn't be the first time people overrate a song's chances because the staging looks good during rehearsals. In the end, if the song is underwhelming, they might still fail to qualify, decent staging or not. :LOL: But I wouldn't be shocked to see us missing out either. Would be sad tho', especially since we'd stand a chance to get a better result in the final thanks to juries. Alas, we might never find out how they would have ranked us! But well, it certainly isn't a done deal yet so fingers crossed we might have enough televote appeal after all. :giggle:

Pics from rehearsal look slightly underwhelming, but I suppose that was to be expected. We had pretty dark and moody staging during Eesti Laul too, so it was unlikely they'd suddenly make it colorful or bright. I do wish they would have used some more interesting background graphics or something tho', looks a bit generic and bland as is. With so many dark stagings, maybe adding some more dashes of color or patterns might have helped. That said, we've only seen a couple of shots and tiny clips, so maybe there's more exciting stuff going on we've yet to see. :giggle: Main thing is how it comes across on camera in the end. If they can nail the atmosphere and make it intimate and captivating enough, that might do the trick. At least don't have it look worse than the Eesti Laul performance please. :LOL: But hopefully better, with all the extra LEDs and lights they have to play with.

Hope we get some interviews from Tomi about how the rehearsal went and if they plan to fix or change anything. :giggle: Will be interesting to see the clip from 2nd rehearsal too, what it looks like on camera.

Iker

Veteran
It's an interesting song but I think I'd like it more if it was in Estonian. Maybe because I love Estonian language, it sounds so ... exotic and otherworldly. I think I first heard the language ... at the Eurovision in 2009 as a teen and I became enamoured both with Rändajad and the language itself. What blown me away was that I guessed correctly exactly what the song was about without understanding a single word in Estonian (I checked the lyrics 20 minutes later on my PC)

Last edited:

jatojo

I was surprised to see Estonia dropping four places in the odds within a week. That's some drop. I regarded Estonia as a semi-sure qualifier.

JenJen94

Me too! It makes me sad because the song is beautiful and I had her down as a locked in qualifier. I still think she will go through, though.

laululind

I guess the casual betting people finally found out there are no juries in the semis or something. :LOL: It's not like anything fundamental has changed since the song was picked. We didn't suddenly discover Alika can't sing at all or something game-changing like that. :LOL: Just the lack of buzz with fans I guess, no new or shocking staging, other entries picking up steam for various reasons. I figured we could be a borderline qualifier, what with the televote only semis. Still really hard to judge what will happen in the end tho'. Could see her doing better than expected, or ending up 12th, or anything in between. :unsure: The bookmakers usually get at least 1 or 2 wrong, sometimes even 3. It's very rare they get 10/10, I think it's only happened a couple of times. :LOL: So there's certainly still a chance! Whether we'll be the one they get wrong tho', who knows. I guess we'll see soon enough! I do hope we'll still manage to sneak in. I want to see how we would do in the final! :giggle:

Going by second rehearsal pics, they've made some of the watery-looking backgrounds darker, which does look better. :giggle: I guess we might get a small snippet of the TV image tonight! Unless they'll wait for tomorrow and put all of semi 2 in one video.

In other news, Alika's new single "You" has been officially released. :giggle: It's pretty nice, tho' I actually preferred the piano-only version she performed earlier. Was more atmospheric & mysterious. But still a lovely song.

ekzuu

Alika's second rehearsal xheart

This is my favourite entry we have ever sent hands down... I love that we have representative who has personality, talent and the staging is so pretty!!! This deserves a good place in final, I hope she gets it but anyways she is talented it's just the beginning of her career.... Love the colour scheme, it stands out so nicely, considering like 70% countries use pink and 20% countries red. But we have blue and golden! xheart

laululind

The clip does actually look pretty nice! :giggle: The stage looks much prettier than it did on the photos and some of the shaky vocals on offer make her stand out in a positive light. I imagine the first half of the song will be more intimate and close-up, like in Eesti Laul. I do wish they would reconsider the dance moves/'choreo', as it is. :LOL: It's probably only a couple of moves and doesn't really ruin anything as such, but it looks a little strange and forced and doesn't add much either, at least as far as we can see in this clip. Might be better to just have her act natural and focus on the singing rather than having to try remember her arm waving moments. :LOL: Not sure they're going to change things around at this point tho'. Anyways, hopefully the whole 3 minutes will be a cohesive, lovely-looking and well-sung whole. :giggle: Might be just enough to get us to the final! Fingers crossed anyway. :giggle: I'd be happy with that result, no matter where we place there.

MAD20

I just hope odds are more than wrong, what a stunning act... I wasn't thinking of voting in Semi 2, but I may leave some votes for Alika, this just can't stay in semis!!

henhu

I cannot see Denmark, Greece or even Belgium qualifying over her so I think that she is safe.

laululind

I don't think I'll feel sure until I see it happen! :LOL: But I do hope we'll manage to sneak in, fingers crossed. :giggle: Being a borderline qualifier is the most stressful position to be in I guess. If you're a big favorite you'll probably make it, if you're a complete no-hoper you don't have to worry much either. :LOL: But when it's a big maybe, everything is up in the air. Oh well, makes for an exciting evening I guess. :giggle:

martin

Well it really sucks if she not made it. I,m are pretty sure that Ollie and Monsters would both have made it. On the other hand i still think it going to be a lot of people in age 45 + who like this best and will vote for it. The bad news is that Stefan get much more votes last year in final and i could see this be 11 or 12 in semifinal and top 5 with the jury.

Top Bottom