8 5.0%

7 4.4%

7 4.4%

• Total voters

ESC United Mod Team

Super Moderator
flag-800.png

laululind

Ollie, Bedwetters and M els have been on repeat for me... however, I think that Janek has the best chance to represent us because it has the same appeal as Uku Suviste.

I'm not sure Janek has quite the same support/fanbase that Uku had. :unsure: I imagine he'll do well and make the final, maybe even superfinal, but actually win? It'll be hard for him to beat Alika I think. At least based on what little local feedback we have so far, it seems to be all about Alika (and perhaps Ollie). :LOL: Janek has gotten some mentions, but not seeing any big hype for him yet.. but who knows what the live shows will bring. :giggle: At this point, anything is still possible! If Alika fails to impress live for some reason, her voters might pick Janek instead.

Anyways, tried making an early guess at the qualifiers... :unsure:

Semi 1
75%: Janek (Alika being in the other semi helps him)
60%: Ollie (would be higher if we had any idea about his live abilities), Andreas (cute boy with cute song will probably have fans)
55%: Bedwetters (having two strong rock songs in the same semi hurts, but perhaps there are enough fans for both), Anett & Fredi (I don't think they'll do as well as last time, but juries could help them qualify at least), Ellip (another jury push?)

45%: Kaw (has young fans so I wouldn't be too surprised to see him sneak in at the expense of a jury favourite, or one of the rock songs if their vocals suck)
40%: Merlyn (could be saved by televoters in round 2, but might be too messy even for them)
35%: Mia (doesn't really stand out much), Neon Letters & Maiko (I fear this will get lost in the mix)

Semi 2
95%: Alika (her win might not be certain yet, but I'm pretty sure she'll qualify with ease)
75%: Sissi (should appeal to televoters and juries both)
65%: Elysa (could possibly see her being a shock NQ, but seems more likely televoters will save her in round 2 if juries sink her)
55%: Inger (she made it last two times, might squeak in again), Carlos Ukareda (generic boy with generic song might have just enough televote appeal), Meelik (if the juries aren't too mainstream, I think they might push this in),

45%: M els (might be this year's Maian? But could easily sneak in too), Linalakk & Bonzo (won't be shocked to see them qualify as well, older people/juries could like it),
30%: Wiiralt (being the only rock-ish entry in this semi could help them, but I suspect it won't be enough)
15%: Robin Juhkental (would be very surprised if he makes it, even with a jury push)

Both semis have some 5 entries I could easily see going either way so.. not very sure about these predictions. :LOL: A lot will depend on juries too.. some years they push more indie & alternative stuff, but last year for instance they went pretty mainstream in the semis. The fates of Ellip, Anett & Fredi, Meelik, Linalakk & Bonzo etc. could easily depend on that. I suppose we'll find out in due time. :giggle:

ollibox

Ollie, Bedwetters and M els have been on repeat for me... however, I think that Janek has the best chance to represent us because it has the same appeal as Uku Suviste.
The same "repeat" playlist for me :D + a bit of Alika and kaw.
About Janek's song - exactly that's why it would be the wrong song to send imo :LOL: Ofc I kinda like it and I liked Uku's songs, too. But at ESC, I'm afraid that some "power" songs (like last years SloMo for example) will eat it up alive...

hijirio

Veteran
I didn't listen to the songs yet but I'm actually screaming lol Janek is actually an Eurovision fan, we were competing in the same online contest years ago and he wanted to go to Eurovision one day. I'm actually shook.

Kairit

Ok, listening to the songs again, my opinion on this edition has slightly improved. I think I just don't feel like there's a single hit song here that could make an impact at Eurovision. Sissi's song is her best effort so far, but not a winner. M els is QUALITY. And I actually quite like House of Glass :oops: Mørland's production is slick yet a bit too much, but the melody is actually nice. I think Bridges tries to similarly produce a big ballad dramatic effect, but there's no catchy hook or piece of melody to pull you in. And the build-up in the verses or the tension in the second half is not really resolved in a liberating moment, there's no release, it's still up in the air, the song remains heavy and dark throughout and just leaves me with anxiety and a headache lol. I think I have this problem with Wouter Hardy songs like Tout l'Univers and Arcade (all this time this song has felt like a scratch you can't itch to me, like there's something missing, and it's holding onto something tightly but it needs to let go somehow, and now i realise it might be a Hardy thing. Interestingly, when Alika did a cover of Arcade on Idol it was actually the first time I liked the song, because the way she belted out that bridge and final chorus in the upper register is a bit like what the song needs imo in terms of release)... they're so unsatisfying for some reason. Anyhow... His success as a writer at Eurovision combined with Alika's star power should theoretically make this make waves at Eurovision lol.

HayashiM

Veteran
Finally went through every song once. I am sorry, I don't feel this edition - in general, last years were better. There still are some decent options though.

xheart
1. Alika
2. Sissi
3. Ollie

:)
4. Elysa
5. Janek

JohnArg

ollibox

Janek sings acapella House of Glass and he is amazing!

There's no doubt he can sing it perfect on stage live:giggle:

12Pointsgoto.....

The quality of Eesti Laul is great this year, but Alika has Jury winner potential and Estonia has a big chance to make waves at eurovision with this song.

ollibox

The quality of Eesti Laul is great this year, but Alika has Jury winner potential and Estonia has a big chance to make waves at eurovision with this song.
Agree! Alika is surely a winner regarding the Jury. As much as I love Alika and her song, I really hope one of the rock songs would win this time. Ollie or Bedwetters. This would be the right year for this genre to win @ ESC, I can feel it so strongly!
And Alika WILL come back stronger next time. 100% sure of it. She's just an extraordinary phenomenon!

12Pointsgoto.....

Agree! Alika is surely a winner regarding the Jury. As much as I love Alika and her song, I really hope one of the rock songs would win this time. Ollie or Bedwetters. This would be the right year for this genre to win @ ESC, I can feel it so strongly!
And Alika WILL come back stronger next time. 100% sure of it. She's just an extraordinary phenomenon!
I love both Ollie and Bedwetters and they are my 2nd and 3rd respectively. I would still be sad if Bridges didn't get the chance to go to liverpool and my favourite esc song of the 2020's wouldn't get to perform on stage. While the estonian public hasn't voted according to my taste in the past, I know that Alika is very popular in Estonia and I hope that this will lead her to victory. Since the Covid restrictions here have been lifted, this year will be the first year where I'll be able to watch eurovision live since 2019.

laululind

From what little feedback we have thus far, Alika seems to have good winning chances. :unsure: Her name has popped up the most so far anyway, and she's not too likely to flop live. Ollie could be a contender too, seems to have a decent amount of fans, but there are more potential pitfalls here. :LOL: There was an interview where he said Venom is a very hard song to sing and when he found out he made the cut, his first thought was "now I actually need to learn how to sing this!". :LOL: Well, he's had time to practice so.. perhaps it'll be a positive surprise and he'll be great! :giggle: In which case he could be the one to beat Alika. But I'm keeping my expectations kind of low right now. Bedwetters I haven't seen get as much mention as Ollie or Alika, so I don't know if they're in it to win it.. but who knows. They have great staging potential with the Monsters theme, and if Ollie ends up disappointing live, they could get the rock vote instead and do better than expected. :unsure: Anyway, I'd be fine with any of the three winning, but I'll wait to see what they bring live to see who has the best overall package. :D Others I could possibly see win would be Sissi, Janek.. maybe Elysa.

BorisBubbles

Veteran
I'm definitely assuming this Eesti Laul is Alika's to lose. Estonia is unreliable w/r/t their preshow faves, but if the Estonians here say she wins, then it's a much better indicator for the outcome than what an outsider like myself would think.

I'm more interested in Alika's televote potential outside of the selection, should she win it. Bedwetters are a slam dunk qualifier, especially in a smaller playing field. "Bridges", like most ballads remains a coin flip. Countries never vote for their best interest at the contest, which is how fans like us often view the entries. They vote for people (and sometimes for songs) they know and like. Whether Alika can find traction with a group of people she's a complete unknown to, remains to be seen...

laululind

Yeah, Alika has potential to be a jury fave in the final, but she has to make it there first. Whereas Ollie/Bedwetters might have an easier time making the final but will probably get dragged down by juries after that. :LOL: Well, I don't think Alika is completely hopeless with televoters in the semi.. it's not like they never vote for ballads or haven't appreciated good vocals in the past. :unsure: But if there are other similar songs and vocally talented ladies in the semi, they could certainly steal her thunder. Then again, same could happen with the rock songs, who knows. I suppose the odds of getting several female power ballads are higher. :LOL:

I think last year's EL was a good indication that name alone isn't enough to win it. :unsure: If it were, the likes of Ott Lepland and Elina Nechayeva would have at least made the superfinal easy-peasy! But they kind of flopped in the end, despite being big and famous. Poor Stig Rästa wouldn't have even made the final if it was up to televoters alone, he had to be saved by juries. :LOL: So I don't think Alika has it in the bag based on name alone. :unsure: But people do seem to like her song as well. Still really early days tho' so who knows if the mood will change after the live shows! I'm certainly very curious to see who's actually in it to win it, who's going to impress on stage or who's going to be a major disappointment. :giggle: Hopefully everyone will be good live so we can have an exciting contest will several potential contenders!

ollibox

I love both Ollie and Bedwetters and they are my 2nd and 3rd respectively. I would still be sad if Bridges didn't get the chance to go to liverpool and my favourite esc song of the 2020's wouldn't get to perform on stage. While the estonian public hasn't voted according to my taste in the past, I know that Alika is very popular in Estonia and I hope that this will lead her to victory. Since the Covid restrictions here have been lifted, this year will be the first year where I'll be able to watch eurovision live since 2019.
Well, I can say that with confidence - Estonians love Alika very much! Her song this year - I'm not that confident. As I commented somewhere in YT, if there weren't Ollie or Bedwetters in the competition, Bridges would be on its way to Liverpool already. No SFs or Grand Final needed in Estonia:D And I would be happy about that, would fully support her.
Anyway, the Super-final at Grand Final WILL be very tight in February. Alika will be there, 100% sure of that. Her live performance would be ultimate to all her rivals!
The second artist in Super-final would be Janek, I predict. Very strong live performer as well. And Estonians seem to dig him quite a lot.
And the third - Ollie or Bedwetters. It all comes down to live performance. Ollie (my favorite by far), live would be quite questionable imo. As he himself told in one of the interviews after the songs were released and it was obvious that Venom had become a HUGE favorite everywhere - "I will now have to learn to sing that song":LOL:
But on the other hand - I see Bedwetters coming on really hard. I have no doubt in their live show, they WILL deliver for sure! And possibly blow Ollie out of the water. Lordi vibes coming - be aware!:devilish:

ollibox

From what little feedback we have thus far, Alika seems to have good winning chances. :unsure: Her name has popped up the most so far anyway, and she's not too likely to flop live. Ollie could be a contender too, seems to have a decent amount of fans, but there are more potential pitfalls here. :LOL: There was an interview where he said Venom is a very hard song to sing and when he found out he made the cut, his first thought was "now I actually need to learn how to sing this!". :LOL: Well, he's had time to practice so.. perhaps it'll be a positive surprise and he'll be great! :giggle: In which case he could be the one to beat Alika. But I'm keeping my expectations kind of low right now. Bedwetters I haven't seen get as much mention as Ollie or Alika, so I don't know if they're in it to win it.. but who knows. They have great staging potential with the Monsters theme, and if Ollie ends up disappointing live, they could get the rock vote instead and do better than expected. :unsure: Anyway, I'd be fine with any of the three winning, but I'll wait to see what they bring live to see who has the best overall package. :D Others I could possibly see win would be Sissi, Janek.. maybe Elysa.
Oops! I just read your post and realized I wrote down basically the same key points to answer @12Pointsgoto.....
Sorry about that, I really didn't read your piece before. But it's very positive that we think more or less alike:giggle:

laululind

Oops! I just read your post and realized I wrote down basically the same key points to answer @12Pointsgoto.....
Sorry about that, I really didn't read your piece before. But it's very positive that we think more or less alike:giggle:

Heh, no problem! Great minds think alike and all that. :LOL:

If Janek & Alika both make the superfinal, two big theatrical ballads, it'll probably give the third song an advantage. :unsure: As long as it's not another ballad anyway. :LOL: I wonder how big of a show Bedwetters (or anyone else) will be able to put on in the semi tho', what with the small stage. I hope they'll actually make the final so they can put on a proper show. :giggle: Would be lame if they flop out before they even get there! Hopefully all the rock fans will be watching on the 12th.

Top Bottom