All The Blood - 7.5/10
Kemama - 7.5/10
Get Up - 7/10
Wanna Be Like - 7/10
At Least We’ve Tried - 6/10
Dark Water - 6/10

HayashiM

Veteran
Ok, um... I don't want to be a spoilsport or anything, so don't read this if you're over the moon right now.

Like I said yesterday, the Czech lineup is on a whole other level compared to last year. That's a fact, and that's fantastic to see.

With that being said though - and after listening to the seven songs on offer - I do not have a true favourite. I will vote via the app for sure, but I will need some time to reflect on who should get my vote in the end.

All I know for certain is that the two biggest names are my bottom 2, and since it will most likely be a battle of fanbases and influencers like last year, I guess I shouldn't hold my breath regarding the results. Which sucks because I could live with anyone else winning.

1. ?
2. ?
3. ?
4. ?
5. ?
6. Dark Water
7. Kemama

Let's get this out of the way:

Dark Water had great potential that wasn't fully exploited to me, Olga has a nice voice, the verses of the song are melodic and atmospheric, but the chorus is just very standard and bland imo. Also, as an overall composition, it sounds a bit too "typical Eurovision ballad" sadly.

Kemama: I didn't know what to expect, and yet I'm disappointed. I would even dare to say there is nothing worthy of interest in this effort to me: the melody is nowhere to be seen, the construction is as flat as a pancake, and it goes nowhere. I don't know Benny, but I feel he could do much better than that. Bland and boring.

Apart from those two, the remaining five entries do have pros that would justify their place in Eurovision imo:

Wanna Be Like is a true banger imo, although the originality of the piece is like below sea level, it's clearly not meant to be artsy and it's raggaeton we're talking about anyway. It's definitely not a genre that I really like or ever listen to, but this particular composition does it for me. More than the usual raggaeton rhythm, it's the confidence of both performers that brings the song alive. As I said, hopefully they'll pull it off live because its success relies on energy and attitude, and could be a true flop if it weren't the case. The rhythmic phrasings of the main singer are badass, and she gives me Fergie "Milf Money" teas during her verse. The guy is also an added value with his part in Spanish. It's a solid effort on paper imo, and I definitely wouldn't mind seeing this in Rotterdam.

At Least We've Tried: I know I said NO yesterday, so let me explain. Personally I think this act shouldn't win because the song is a tad on the safe side and, as unfounded as it might be, I just can't help getting some slight Duncan vibes from it. HOWEVER, I do like it actually: it's not the song of the century, but it's a decent piano-driven pop-rock composition with a melancholic feel I can latch onto. It may even grow on me and potentially make it to my Ipod, but I don't think Czechs should send this. Given the reception so far, it's not going to happen anyway I imagine.

All The Blood: Past the deceiving name of the band, if one takes the song for what it is, it's actually a rather pleasant effort as far as light pop-rock is concerned. I sense some layers in it, some parts of it are more interesting than others, but overall I do dig the atmosphere it tries to set. In terms of impact, I still don't know if it would be enough for the contest, but it seems to receive positive feedback at the moment, so who knows?

Get up: I didn't like Rabbit's demo last year, so I'm glad she came back with an actual finished product, even though - like Rainy - I expected her to go for a more R&B sound a la "Try". Nonetheless this electro-ish effort is actually not bad imo, it has its moments and despite not being crazy about it, I sense it could grow on me. It has potential if she manages to do it justice live.

White And Black Holes: And last but not least: my baby. While I saw the flaws of "True Colors" last year, it really did connect with me. This year, she came back with an effort that is way more balanced and refined in terms of construction, progression and arrangements. Her heavenly voice is my jam and we know she can sing it already since she performed it in the video I posted here last week (so go check her live!). The only stone in my shoe is that I have difficulty connecting with the melody this time, I'm here body and soul for the atmosphere set, but I'm not enamoured of it due to that as of now.

To sum up: well done guys! This NF of yours is really solid and diverse overall, I'm really sad that we could not have a real show in the end because I think seeing all these acts performing live on stage would have helped people like me to make a decision. I know we'll have acoustic versions coming our way, but it's still not the same imo.

On a personal note, there is potential for drama for me since Olga and Benny are the ones I don't want to see advance, so I'll have to prepare myself mentally. If I had to vote today, I'd probably waver between "Wanna Be Like" - the non-unique yet efficient banger - and "White And Black Holes" - despite my issues with it - because it's atmospheric and the live performance could elevate it.

I'll have to get to know the songs better before voting though.

Kinda expected you wouldn't be completely over the moon yourself and I think I do understand you to some extent. :)

I do appreciate Ben because a) I very much like his personality, b) It didn't turn out as big a disaster as I expected. I usually find his songs, as you put it so well, flat as a pancake. True, after being hyped with a "something completely different", I was hoping things could get even better... But I was still quite ready for a disaster and compared to that, I can appreciate the effort and I am mildly positively surprised. However, my initial impression is that his fandom isn't as crazy about it as I had thought it would be, and I don't think he'll get a top score with the juries, so maybe he doesn't have it in his pocketses yet.

Here goes a copy paste of everything you write about Dark Water.

As for Barbora, True Colours had a bit more of an instant and wider appeal IMO, but this is eventually a grower. I am sorry I didn't check out your link yet, I will rectify that straight away.

Who's my biggest grower so far is All the blood - especially after I've seen the guys on our TV. They are so charismaticaly clueless-yet-certainly-not-stupid and punk-in-everything-but-the-music-itself, that I just gotta love them.

Karelll is emo-y emo-y, Elis is dancy dancy and Pam is rabbity rabitty (and to my ears better than last year). I simply do enjoy their songs.

After a day listening practically nothing but this lineup:
1. - 3. Barbora Mochowa, WAP and Elis
4. Karell (yes, this does have a distant Arcade vibe)
5. Pam
6. - 7. Ben and Olga

One final thought: I think the strength of this NF is in its diversity, where every song is of above average quality for its genre. Once we are down to just one song, I feel some of the magic I enjoy now will disappear. A good placement is really not a given. However, I will repeat myself, I will be happy, no matter whom we send.

Ritararita

Wow. This year's Czech lineup is so good, that I am really thankful for having three phones and two tablets. OK, here is my order of preferences. Something can change during the upcoming two weeks, but for now it's like this:

1.) Elis ft. Čis T - Wanna Be Like Hate me as you want, dear ballad lovers, but whenever there is a good piece of a fast-paced comedy-pop in the selection, I am all aboard. I loved both Lie To Me and Friend of a Friend and here we go again. It's stronger than me, I guess. Elis has the right kind of energy for this type of music (several years ago, I couldn't stop listening to somewhat similar song of hers called Unfaithful Man), the rap part suits the song well and I can already see the crowds at EuroParties moving to it. (On a sidenote, I also find nice that Eva Burešová, Zofie Dares and even Olga Lounová were supporting Elis via their appearance in the video).

2.) We All Poop - All the Blood In a tradition of a good old toilet humor, I just had to have a band with such name as my number two, pun intended. But seriously, I expected absolutely nothing from them and preassumed that Jan Bors & co. selected them just for the sake of having some band in the NF. I was twice as sceptical when I learned that two of the band members (who actually composed the song) are also members of Perutě, a band targeting kids and younger teens with cheesy, forcedly happy songs like this. But wow, this is so completely different and good even after about 20 listenings that I will probably vote for it as well.

3.) Barbora Mochowa - Black & White Holes Don't get me wrong with this one. I LOVE it and part of me loves the idea of sending something so unusual and ethereal to Eurovision just to witness what happens. Unfortunately, the more rational part of me doesn't believe in positive result. I am glad that Barbora produced once again a classy, elegant piece of art, but I am simply not convinced that Eurovision is the right place where it would be appreciated. I can imagine both Salvador Sobral and Conan Osiris scenarios with this one.

4.) Pam Rabbit - Get Up Pam successfully merged the pulsating energy of Easy To Believe or Sapa with darker tones of her other songs Try and Soulless and that could potentially activate two different sets of her fans. However, the message of the song is not very clear after first listening and the chorus is perhaps bit too inspired by verses of Imagine Dragons' Believer. I would love to see Pam representing us in Eurovision (and potentially winning the whole damn thing, why not), but I fear 2020 is not her year either.

5.) Ben Cristovao - Kemama I kind of respect Ben Cristovao's ability to transform his weaknesses (problems with rhytm and limited vocal range) into his personal style, making it look like it was always intended that way. So, during the 10 or so years he's around, I've got used to these strangely cacofonic sounds he produces and I don't mind them anymore. I also cannot unsee that he has strong personal charisma, sense of fashion and self-presentation in general as well as huge experiences with social media marketing, all of which is crucial for the promotion of the song. The song itself just... isn't his best, sadly. But it's not bad either and if Ben ends up being the chosen one, I think I won't hang myself.

6.) Olga Lounová - Dark Water I always feel bad when I am going to criticise someone who is nice person and competent vocalist, genuinely doing their best. But I'm sorry, this whole genre of wailing ballad in general and Olga's song in particular just don't speak to me. I do see and hear all the formal qualities the song has, but I just don't feel absolutely nothing while listening to it.

7.) Karelll - At Least We've Tried Very similar case as Olga. Positive thing is that not even my last-placer is really bad, just ... least impactful, let's say. I don't hate it, I do respect it, but do I love it? Do I want to hear it again and again? Not really.

VikingTiger

A very solid 7 songs from the Czech Republic! They mean business! This years songs are way ahead of last years competitors. All the 7 songs are well produced, with what seems to be really good artists! I cant remember a NF where I could say the same...
Great ballads, fun songs, international flavour - all contemporary and none of the screaming Eurovision!
But my czech winner is based on my personal taste: Wanna be Like for the win!! Goes straight into my latest playlist. And when the spanish kicks in - I am completely sold!! I just hope the live version can transmit as much fun, party and ganas-de-bailar as the studio version and the video.

Edweis

WorldVision Mod
Staff member
:8: We All Poop - All The Blood : I already said what I think about it earlier. Still, I wish it was a little less radio friendly.
:7: Pam Rabbit - Get Up
:6: Olga Lounovà - Dark Water
: it brings nothing new but I really love the chorus.
:5: Elis Mraz ft. Čis T - Wanna Be Like
:5: Benny Cristo - Kemama
:4: Karelll - At Least We Tried
: I can listen to it on repeat but it's not impactful enough to be higher on my ranking.
:3: Barbara Mochowa - White & Black Holes :
last year I already didn't like her song, not that it was bad or anything, it just... bored me. Unfortunately this year's the same, I keep waiting for something that will lift the song but it never happens.

HayashiM

Veteran
@tuorem so I did check your video and I am certainly not worried about them vocals anymore.
However, I am surprised the song got a public reproduction before the NF, I thought they weren't allowed to do that, yet there it has was, plain in our sight! Well spotted! :D
(I guess the Czech saying "the deepest darkness lies straight under the candleholder" applies here :) )

Diego

Percentage of likes - official videos on Youtube

Dark Water - 97,77%
Get Up - 96,45%
Kemama - 95,39%
White & Black Holes - 95,24%
All The Blood - 95,02%
At Least We've Tried - 92,67%
Wanna Be Like - 92,32%

tuorem

@HayashiM Yes, but given the number of views the video has, no one can say Mochowa played it dirty really :LOL: It remained highly confidential. See? She can sing the high notes too :) Her acoustic performance will once again be a delight I'm sure.

Ooh and I like that Czech saying btw xheart

njdevils94

Veteran
Rankings then.

:cz: Eurovision Song CZ 2020
1. Olga Lounová - Dark Water
2. Pam Rabbit - Get Up
3. Barbora Mochowa - Among White & Black Holes
4. Karelll - At Least We've Tried
5. We All Poop - All the Blood (Positive Song Actually)
6. Benny Cristo - Kemama
7. Elis Mraz & Čis T - Wanna Be Like

Franzilein

At least we’ve tried :love: xpray

Daybreak

Pretty interesting range of songs! Some of the standouts for me:

Barbora Mochowa - White & Black Holes: this is the kind of a song I can appreciate as a composition, but this kind of melancholic or darker music isn't really something that I enjoy personally.

Elis Mraz ft. Čis T - Wanna Be Like: I was ready to dismiss this as a typical "jumping on the trend" song, but they actually went full-on reggaeton here with rap and everything which is awesome.

Not wanting to dance anymore, but I must dance
giphy.gif

Black and White Holes by Barbora Mochowa
Kemana by Benny Cristo
Wanna Be Like by Elis Mraz feat. Čis T

All The Blood by We All Poop
Dark Water by Olga Lounova

Get Up by Pam Rabbit
At Least We've Tried by Karell

• Fuego
Reactions: Mrm

Nicfedy

I've decided after some rumination that there is one among these that can come top 5 in Rotterdam and destroy Mikolas' legacy (which does not deserve to exist); it should win for the greater good. That one is Wanna Be Like.
I agree. Not sure about the rap but it seems to work.
after that Kemama then Kareli but it’s too much like last years winner

Diego

My guess as to how the results will be:

- International jury (ex-ESC artists + online vote)

Barbora Mochowa - 12
Elis Mraz ft Cis T - 10
Olga Lounová - 8
We All Poop - 6
Karelll - 4
Pam Rabbit - 3
Benny Cristo - 2

- Czech vote

Benny Cristo - 12
Olga Lounová - 10
Elis Mraz ft Cis T - 8
Pam Rabbit - 6
We All Poop - 4
Barbora Mochowa - 3
Karelll - 2

- TOTAL

1º Olga Lounová - 18 points (winner because of the highest czech vote)
2º Elis Mraz ft Cis T - 18 points
3º Barbora Mochowa - 15 points
4º Benny Cristo - 14 points
5º We All Poop - 10 points
6º Pam Rabbit - 9 points
7º Karelll - 6 points

Top Bottom